BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Givet a rest?

The facts are he's had his share of injury; he missed the last few games through suspension; and has an on-going contractual dispute with the club.

Yet he's a professional footballer; paid a small fortune, regardless of tax debates; is a key player in our defence; and we were led to believe, by Kean, this week, that he'll be putting his off-field issues to one side.

So where the hell was he yesterday (not even on the bench), when will he return, and why is there no club statement?

The facts are he's had his share of injury; he missed the last few games through suspension; and has an on-going contractual dispute with the club.

Yet he's a professional footballer; paid a small fortune, regardless of tax debates; is a key player in our defence; and we were led to believe, by Kean, this week, that he'll be putting his off-field issues to one side.

So where the hell was he yesterday (not even on the bench), when will he return, and why is there no club statement?

Here's a statement of sorts.Doesn't tell us what we want to know though. Why wasn't he left-back so that Ollson could attack them?

Makes you wonder about his cashflow situation is this alleged tax bill is causing him so much concern.

Shame, as the one thing you used to be able to say about mercernary footballers is that they were at least professional.

Not suggesting Givet is a mercenary, btw, but if he is refusing to play because of it, he needs to go as he'd be bad for morale.

Even greater shame is that he is one of our four musketeers in defence, and it would mean we could release Olsson to the wing and keep Peds as sub (in case of dire emergencies).

I think I'm in a minority of one who thinks Olsson is better than him at full back. Givet gets done for pace on a regular basis and offers nothing going forward, meaning opposition wingers don't have to worry about defending.

Admittedly being short of wingers means we need to clone Olsson. I'd be quite happy to see the back of Givet this summer though.

I think I'm in a minority of one who thinks Olsson is better than him at full back. Givet gets done for pace on a regular basis and offers nothing going forward, meaning opposition wingers don't have to worry about defending.

Admittedly being short of wingers means we need to clone Olsson. I'd be quite happy to see the back of Givet this summer though.

Will his twin do? ;)

I don't think it's so much that LeChuck. Most people seem to agree that Olsson is a much greater asset to team when he's played on the wing.

Givet is not a full back by any stretch but he's about our only option. Although maybe it's time to think about "converting" Pedersen...

Givet has the advantage of experience over Olssen, LeChuck. At times, and especially in defence, that's invaluable. Givet isn't great for sure. He is slow for a full back and his passing can be quite ordinary to say the least. The advantage experience gives him, is that he gets the decision making right more often than not. Olssen's problems at full back seem to be his lack of concentration resulting in him getting caught out of position, coupled with trying to be a bit too clever some times. That was highlighted at Wigan earlier this season when he tried to play his way out of a tight spot, rather than booting it into the top tier. It cost us a goal and resulted in Samba giving him a roasting.

Interesting to note that Givet has only featured once since we started on this terrible run of results - the game at Fulham. Personally, I believe we miss his experience and tackling ability at the back. Having Givet in the team allows Olsson to play wide on the left and his ability to play in the centre of defence gives the manager greater options when making substitions. On Friday Kean talked about Givet as though he was a certain starter and then on Saturday we get guff about his head not being right.

If Givet is refusing to play I assume we have stopped his wages. If he isn't refusing to play then he should be in the team. Either way it's up to Kean and Mrs. Desai to sort it out for the good of the club.

Interesting to note that Givet has only featured once since we started on this terrible run of results - the game at Fulham. Personally, I believe we miss his experience and tackling ability at the back. Having Givet in the team allows Olsson to play wide on the left and his ability to play in the centre of defence gives the manager greater options when making substitions.

I think both players have made a number of defensive mistakes this season.What I like about Givet at full back is it gives Olsson the chance to really have a go at their right back.

Either way it's up to Kean and Mrs. Desai to sort it out for the good of the club.

I've thought about these situations myself Parsonblue. Who is there that Kean can turn to, to help sort these kind of problems out - when JW is gone. No-one is there?

I've thought about these situations myself Parsonblue. Who is there that Kean can turn to, to help sort these kind of problems out - when JW is gone. No-one is there?

That is the problem. A novice manager and no chairman. I suspect that there is now nobody at Ewood with the power to make any decisions. From what I hear Mrs. Desai has the final word on all decisions relating to their various business and I believe that her word is final. That may be OK for the businesses that they run in India, but trying to run a football club on the other side of the world, where decisions need to be taken instantly as circumstances dictate, is another matter. The management structure off the field is just as confused as the management team looking after playing affairs.

That is the problem. A novice manager and no chairman. I suspect that there is now nobody at Ewood with the power to make any decisions. From what I hear Mrs. Desai has the final word on all decisions relating to their various business and I believe that her word is final. That may be OK for the businesses that they run in India, but trying to run a football club on the other side of the world, where decisions need to be taken instantly as circumstances dictate, is another matter. The management structure off the field is just as confused as the management team looking after playing affairs.

:wacko: Depressing.

I hope she makes a hasty final decision to sell up.

All the people heaping this on kean/Venky's were proven wrong by the fact that this dispute has been going on since before they arrived, it is a contractual disagreement, a contract which JW/BS/GG signed, not Kean or anyone else.

It seems someone is at fault for Givet not recently playing though as he's been playing happily enough for several months with the dispute ongoing. Then he's dropped, and according to Kean his head isn't right.

Archived