BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Simon Vukcevic (AM)

Tom

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't get too excited about this bloke, just another pointer to the way things are going really. Looks like he had a bright start 4 years ago at Sporting after failing in Russia but in the last 3 years he has played about 50 league games and scored 7 goals. If he can't get a game for them why are we signing him? There must be better options over here with players who know the league and won't take months to settle in even if you do have to pay a bit more. maybe the bit more is because players who know the league and how to play in it are less of a gamble. He might come off but it is a gamble and it just shows how far down the bargain basement route we are now. You could say the same for most of the other players we are being linked with at the moment as well.

Still, at least we won't have to see those 2 players who couldn't get a game for Aberdeen 3 months ago sat on the bench in future if we buy a few more of these journeymen.

If he can't get a game for them?

Well it would be great to only sign superstars, but the same logic could have prevented us from signing:

Friedel

Tugay

Samba

Bentley

Santa Cruz

Warnock

He's by no means a sure thing, but worth the risk.

Realistically in order to improve a club of our size has to target three types of players:

1) Young players with potential.

2) Old players who are slightly past their prime.

3) Players approaching their prime who haven't fulfilled their potential.

We aren't going to buy players who are 25-28 playing at a high standard in a good league. They will be too expensive and in high demand.

Very happy with this signing, ability just doesn't dissapear, attitude, fitness, injury all play parts. Anyone who watched him for Partizan in the Uefa cup some time ago can see his has the ability to really get cracking, we just need to get it out of him.

My concern is that Kean isn';t the person to do it, Hughes would be though I suspect.

I see we're gradually turning into Jugoslavia then. Complete with Marshal Tito in charge. Mind your pronunciation now.

Nothing wrong with that, Jugoslavia was one of the best teams in Europe before the country fell apart. Tito was a good leader. Dont know if Kean is but I will judge after the first 4 games. If we win against Sheff Weds and then Everton I think everyone will turn around because there are to much glory hunters around. We have to Realise WE are a small club and if we can stay up we should be happy. There are bigger teams in the championship who can't get back.

Nothing wrong with that, Jugoslavia was one of the best teams in Europe before the country fell apart. Tito was a good leader. Dont know if Kean is but I will judge after the first 4 games. If we win against Sheff Weds and then Everton I think everyone will turn around because there are to much glory hunters around. We have to Realise WE are a small club and if we can stay up we should be happy. There are bigger teams in the championship who can't get back.

Weren't Yugoslavia known as the 'European Brazil'? They certainly produced some fine footballers prior the county's demise.

Why would a glory hunter be supporting Rovers in the first place. :blink:

Archived