BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

But, err..... it doesn't. It's a good film and Ledger is good but I don't think it lives up to the plaudits.

Sorry.

No need to be sorry but I wonder if you are in a minority. I absolutely loved it. Cracking film from start to finish with no slow downs or boring bits. Of course for me Batman could have been left out quite happily and we just had a film about the joker.

It does look pretty crap. I hear Norbit was considered 'the worst movie ever made' but have never seen it. It just looks awful. Then of course there is the masterpiece that is Gigli. Again, I'm only going by what has been said, but for a film to be pulled off the screens after 1 week when fat arsed Jenny was at her most popular says something.

The Love Guru may prove to be up there with Titanic, Belly of The Beast and War of the Worlds in terms of crapness, and if so it would show how Mike Myers' talents are waning.

No need to be sorry but I wonder if you are in a minority. I absolutely loved it. Cracking film from start to finish with no slow downs or boring bits. Of course for me Batman could have been left out quite happily and we just had a film about the joker.

I have to agree.I have just seen the film this afternoon and whilst the film was good,Ledgers performance was just mesmerising,truly one of the greatest acting performances in a long time.

I personally thought he made Jack Nicholsons interpretation of the Joker look ordinary.

For those who haven`t seen `The Dark Knight` i would advise against taking kids younger than 10 yrs old. :o

The Love Guru is coming out this weekend in the UK, the trailers make it look like its literally the worst movie ever made.

I get quite angry every time I see that trailer...although I doubt whether it can surpass 40 Year Old Virgin, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, I Pronounce You Chuck & Larry and all that other crap that seems to come out once a month.

Whilst on the subject of comedies, I saw Dr. Strangelove for the first time last night and I thought it was fantastic, extremely dark humour but brilliantly done. It was also possibly the greatest comedy acting performance I've ever seen courtesy of Peter Sellers...just brilliant. :)

OK, it's not going to be up there with "The Greatest Films Of All Time" but the daughter & I went to see "Hancock" yesterday.

A new look on the super-hero theme and very well worked too.

Without giving too much away - Hancock has super-powers but unfortunately a lifestyle of an insular & drunk slacker. As you might expect the ending has him being redeemed.

You can go and search www for exerpts & trailers.

Cracking good entertainment.

Bit behind the times but watched No Country for Old Men at the weekend and was a bit disappointed.

It was a case of all the hype coming from it leading me to expect too much. It's not a bad film but, as everyone raved about it at the time, you just expect more. If I'd never heard of it and just watched it out the blue it would probably have been quite enjoyable. As it was I just kept waiting for it to take off and it never did.

It was a case of all the hype coming from it leading me to expect too much. It's not a bad film but, as everyone raved about it at the time, you just expect more.

Ooh, 'tis always the case, especially if one waits a while and watches a film that comes with a lot of hype/expectation, surely it can only be a disappointment? I had the same with Reservoir Dogs. In itself, a seminal, excellent, original (ish) movie, but given how everyone had said so much about how it was fantastic, I didn't see it as THAT good.

The exception to this concept was "Shawshank", but then again then didn't really get the vibe until after it had left general release.

Back to managing expectations, I can see parallels with over-hyping a good thing only to be let down with Villanueva........

Ledger to get the supporting Oscar too, deservedly.

Question-would there be so much buzz about Ledger for the Oscar if he hadn't popped his clogs? Doubt it, but that's the Internet for you.

Whilst his acting for the role was superb - he truly was mesmerizing, inspired casting, and stole the film in every scene he was in (especially the pencil trick) it's really stretching it I think to pitch for an Oscar, the odds are truly against it. That's not meant to decry his perfomance at all, but history - and more than likely the Academy - tend not to be swayed by emotion. He'd possibly get a nod for Supporting Actor role at best I think.

Hell of an inspired marketing campaign for the film; bold move by the Marketing Manager @ Warner Bros, imagine his pitch.... Tell you what, what if we have the lead supporting actor die on us & the lead actor get arrested on the eve of the UK release?

Edited by DingleBaiter

Ooh, 'tis always the case, especially if one waits a while and watches a film that comes with a lot of hype/expectation, surely it can only be a disappointment? I had the same with Reservoir Dogs. In itself, a seminal, excellent, original (ish) movie, but given how everyone had said so much about how it was fantastic, I didn't see it as THAT good.

The exception to this concept was "Shawshank", but then again then didn't really get the vibe until after it had left general release.

This is true in a lot of cases. Only The Departed and the excellent Pans Labyrinth spring to mind as films I was expecting great things from and delivered in recent years.

Seen a few films recently:

The Dark Knight - loved it, good performances all round, although Bale's Batman could do with a lozenge.

Wall-E - one of Pixar's best IMO

Get Smart - Was expecting the inept superspy scenario but was pleasantly surprised with it, plus Anne Hathaway gorgeous as ever! :D

Wanted - Pretty good, a bit far fetched at times and seemed to skip through the story in some bits, but considering it was based on a comic book not bad.

Hellboy 2 - Not bad enjoyed it, definitely Guillermo Del Toro at his stylish best with some of the creature designs etc.

The Love Guru - a big pile of steaming poo! If Myers is heading down in this direction with Austin Powers 4 then he should stick to voicing animation flicks.

Looking forward to seeing Watchmen after seeing the trailer, hopefully it lives up to the book. Also looking forward to Star Wars: Clone Wars.

For some reason i cant see pictures that you post.So i have no idea who the pic is of.

I've heard the next villan will be The Riddler, With a rumour that Harley Quin is his side kick.

I always thought that Harley Quinn was the Joker's sidekick. Obviously they can't do that now, hoping that Nolan & co go for the Batman hattrick of quality films!

It was just a bit too boring for me. It's not that I don't enjoy that style of movie, I would have put it right in my taste going into it, but it just felt like a few people were a bit too far up their you know whats while making it.

No country for old men was fantastic and was film of the year for me.