BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Vs Arsenal

Before the season started I volunteered to do this particular write up and was looking forward to it as most of my close friends are Gooners and I was looking forward to providing some interesting Q&A etc etc. But to be honest since the start of the season I wish I hadn't bothered as all I find myself doing now is wondering where our next points will come from. From day one I have always asked for both Venkys and Kean to be given time to prove themselves in the Premiership. I was one of the loudest in shouting "give them until th end of August at least!" so the end of August has come and here we sit with one point after playing four winnable games. Do I still have hope that Venkys may still be good for the club? A little. Do I still have hope that Kean is the right man for the job? None. But that is a debate for the other dozen threads already going.

So how do we fare against the Gooners historically? Well like most of the so called top four not very well with Rovers winning 4 games compared to Arsenals 12 and having conceded three times as many goals as them in the process. Will we be able to keep a clean sheet against them? If Van Persie plays, most probably not. And the thought of Salgado coming up against Theo makes me wake up at night in a sweat. But let's try not be all doom and gloom. As the cliche goes if you're going to play Arsenal this is the best time to do so especially after their unconvincing win against Swansea. They have recently lost two of their best players and their new recruits will take some time bedding in. Also under Kean last season we managed to get a point at the Emirates the first time we have gained a point away to Arsenal since 2002.

So how will be start line up against Arsenal? I have a feeling in some attempt to appease the fans Kean may line up 4-4-2 with something along the following, assuming Junior and Dunn aren't fit.

Robinson

Salgado Dann Samba Olsson

Vuckcevic Nzonzi Petrovic Gamst

Rochina

Goodwillie

Personally I don't want to see either Salgado or Givet playing full back against Arsenal as they will get ripped to shreads. Can Dann play right back? He can't be any worst than Salgado so I would like to see the following:

Robinson

Dann Samba Givet Olsson

Nzonzi Petrovic

Vuckcevic Formica Rochina

Goodwillie

I know that both Petrovic and Formica were crap last game but I think playing at home should help, especially with Formica. Also I am aware Peds is crap but with Olsson at left back and Junior out it doesn't leave much choice. Anyway what is my prediction for the game? In all honesty we SHOULD be capable of gaining a point but I'm afraid my heart says 1-3 to Arsenal.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good preview.

I think Kean will play something like this:

Robinson

Salgado Dann Samba Givet

N'zonzi Dunn

Pedersen Formica Olsson

Roberts

Salgado won't be dropped no matter what the fans think as he is the only right back near team selection right now and expect Arsenal to target him. If Samba is fit he will play with Dann and Givet will be moved to left back.

In central midfield if Dunny is fit then he will start with N'zonzi if he isn't then I'm expecting Petrovic to come into the side.

I doubt Hoilett will be risked after the injury against Fulham, with the loss of Emerton and Diouf that does leave us a bit weak on the right side of midfield. I can't see Vukcevic suddenly coming into the side especially against Arsenal and he hasn't even had sub appearances yet which suggests he is well off the pace. If Pedersen is fit I can see him coming back into the side :rolleyes:. Rochina scored so he will likely be dropped, that's what Kean has shown so far you score you get dropped.

With Kean facing some heavy pressure this week he may feel he needs the help of his no.1 cheerleader, Jason 'the goal machine' Roberts.

On the game all I see is a complete battering. If you exclude the very good goal against Fulham we were dominated, especially in the second half. You give Arsenal that time and space and they will kill you.

3-0 to Arsenal. More pressure on Kean to go but the owners sit on their hands and do sweet fa.

Before the season started I volunteered to do this particular write up and was looking forward to it as most of my close friends are Gooners and I was looking forward to providing some interesting Q&A etc etc. But to be honest since the start of the season I wish I hadn't bothered as all I find myself doing now is wondering where our next points will come from. From day one I have always asked for both Venkys and Kean to be given time to prove themselves in the Premiership. I was one of the loudest in shouting "give them until th end of August at least!" so the end of August has come and here we sit with one point after playing four winnable games. Do I still have hope that Venkys may still be good for the club? A little. Do I still have hope that Kean is the right man for the job? None. But that is a debate for the other dozen threads already going.

So how do we fare against the Gooners historically? Well like most of the so called top four not very well with Rovers winning 4 games compared to Arsenals 12 and having conceded three times as many goals as them in the process. Will we be able to keep a clean sheet against them? If Van Persie plays, most probably not. And the thought of Salgado coming up against Theo makes me wake up at night in a sweat. But let's try not be all doom and gloom. As the cliche goes if you're going to play Arsenal this is the best time to do so especially after their unconvincing win against Swansea. They have recently lost two of their best players and their new recruits will take some time bedding in. Also under Kean last season we managed to get a point at the Emirates the first time we have gained a point away to Arsenal since 2002.

So how will be start line up against Arsenal? I have a feeling in some attempt to appease the fans Kean may line up 4-4-2 with something along the following, assuming Junior and Dunn aren't fit.

Robinson

Salgado Dann Samba Olsson

Vuckcevic Nzonzi Petrovic Gamst

Rochina

Goodwillie

Personally I don't want to see either Salgado or Givet playing full back against Arsenal as they will get ripped to shreads. Can Dann play right back? He can't be any worst than Salgado so I would like to see the following:

Robinson

Dann Samba Givet Olsson

Nzonzi Petrovic

Vuckcevic Formica Gamst

Rochina Yakubu

I know that both Petrovic and Formica were crap last game but I think playing at home should help, especially with Formica. Also I am aware Peds is crap but with Olsson at left back and Junior out it doesn't leave much choice. Anyway what is my prediction for the game? In all honesty we SHOULD be capable of gaining a point but I'm afraid my heart says 1-3 to Arsenal.

junior could be playing Samba more likely to miss out its a game if we were managed by another manager we could have won.. half the Arsenal team are injured.. :brfc:

I was at the Emirates on Saturday. Arsenal were absolutely awful. Swansea were the better team. The worst performance I have seen from an Arsenal side I can remember. Arshavin was their best player by far and he was fairly average.

Mertesacker has no pace and has the turning circle of an oil tanker. Arteta is handy but is no Fabregas or Nasri. Walcott will never take on his man in a standing start, Ramsey struggles to impose himself on a game and Gibbs at left back was a liability.

RVP aside, this is a very very average Arsenal team and with them playing Dortmund this week, we stand a decent chance.

I genuinely felt that, based on their performance against Swansea, it would be harder to take points away from Fulham away then Arsenal at home.

Clearly they do have superior players overall, however their midfield is very weak and they have no pace at centre back. I hope Hoilett can recover because he'd cause their backline all sorts of problems.

Feeling cautiously optimistic provided the right team is selected. They're shot for confidence and if you didn't know that this was Arsenal, you'd look at their team and feel that this was no better then a midtable premier league side.

Robinson

Dann Samba Givet Olsson

Nzonzi Petrovic

Vuckcevic Formica Gamst

Rochina Yakubu

Wish we could play 12 - we need them!

A long week to pass before we see how the injuries pan out, but we are looking thin and out of shape (both physically and tatically) so a conservative game plan looks like the best bet. If we have the same open style as we have played recently we will get murdered by Arsenal.

Shame Emerton isn't here as he would offes some cover on the right wing. Team I would go for:-

-----------------Robinson

Dann----Samba----Givet----Olsson

Hoilett---Nzonzi-----Grella--Pedersen

------------------Rochina

------------------Yakubu

Really hope Dann can do a decent shift at right back, and we really really need to stabalise the midfield. To be totally honest if Nelsen is fit I would seriously consider sticking one of the defenders in defensive midfield! We have to get a tackler in there.... Samba anyone?

If Hoilett isn't fit Vuckcevic could make his debut. Ridiculous that we have no leaders in central midfield.

Good preview Slough,thanks. The cunning plan to have 12 players on the pitch was a damn good one but has unfortunately been rumbled. Damn these pedants.

As The Gunners last home game was a nervy 1-0 win over newly promoted Swansea and their last away game .......no need to mention that result ,I'm probably fooling no-one but myself that we may have a glimmer of hope

slough_rover I sympathise with your assessment and share many of the sentiments. It's OK being optimistic during the close-season (I was too)as the alternative is a long Summer of gloom and depression. When the team is up and running, however, there is nowhere to hide. The second half against Fulham was embarrassingly awful.

Maybe there were too many newcomers? We need some bite in midfield (Petrovic was worryingly pedestrian)and some belligerence up-front (Yakuba?). Too many light-weight players in my opinion.

slough_rover I sympathise with your assessment and share many of the sentiments. It's OK being optimistic during the close-season (I was too)as the alternative is a long Summer of gloom and depression. When the team is up and running, however, there is nowhere to hide. The second half against Fulham was embarrassingly awful.

Maybe there were too many newcomers? We need some bite in midfield (Petrovic was worryingly pedestrian)and some belligerence up-front (Yakuba?). Too many light-weight players in my opinion.

Time to stick Samba in midfield?

We could go:-

---------------Robinson

Salgado---Dann---Givet----Olsson

----------Samba---Nzonzi

Vuckevic----Rochina----Hoilet

----------------Yakubu I think I would be more confident in that. Samba would at least add a bit of aggression, pace and strength to the midfield, even if his passing and positioning will be poor. Hopefully he could galvanise Nzonzi too. Petrovic could have another shot from the 60 minute mark or so as well.

Really don’t know what other options we will have as without something drastic Arsenal will ghost through us.

We could go:-

---------------Robinson

Salgado---Dann---Givet----Olsson

----------Samba---Nzonzi

Vuckevic----Rochina----Hoilet

----------------Yakubu I think I would be more confident in that. Samba would at least add a bit of aggression, pace and strength to the midfield, even if his passing and positioning will be poor. Hopefully he could galvanise Nzonzi too. Petrovic could have another shot from the 60 minute mark or so as well.

Really don’t know what other options we will have as without something drastic Arsenal will ghost through us.

Why do you want to play our best centre defender out of position for???

We have Grella, Nzonzi, Lowe, Petrovic, Dunn, Pedersen who can all play in the centre position. I would play Nzonzi and Grella for the Arsenal game.

But he's absolutely awful on the ball! Occasionally he drives forward well, but his passing and composure are terrible.

Assuming Hoilett is out and Dunn doesn't recover...

Robinson

Salgado Dann Samba Givet

Grella N'Zonzi

Rochina Vuckevic Olsson

Yakubu

Why do you want to play our best centre defender out of position for???

We have Grella, Nzonzi, Lowe, Petrovic, Dunn, Pedersen who can all play in the centre position. I would play Nzonzi and Grella for the Arsenal game.

Because we have two quality central defenders in Givet and Dann and we desperately need some bite in midfield against the best possession team in the league.... Moving Phil Jones to that position last season played a big part of saving us from the drop. We need something similarly dramatic imo if we are going to shore up defensively and compete in the middle of the park. It seems worth a shot when Nzonzi, Petrovic (and certainly Dunn, Pedersen) just don’t seem to offer the right level of intensity and physicality for us to break up play.

But he's absolutely awful on the ball! Occasionally he drives forward well, but his passing and composure are terrible.

Assuming Hoilett is out and Dunn doesn't recover...

Robinson

Salgado Dann Samba Givet

Grella N'Zonzi

Rochina Vuckevic Olsson

Yakubu

But then Givet had a mare at LB against Fulham... do you want to expose him to Arshavin/Walcott on that form? He has played excellently at CB. Why not keep him there and try to shore up the exposed areas of the team?

I think one of the CBs is going to have to do a job in midfield. Its just a matter of time unless 1) Petrovic looks more authoratative 2) Grella stays fit and can keep up with the game. I don't think either is going to happen quickly enough. We need ot add a bit of steel to the midfield desperately.

Seeing as we're always good to (not against) teams who are on a slump/struggling, we will also help Arsenal turn their fortunes around. Still, I can see the point of those thinking we can get a draw. Surely Givet has to play CB if he's playing. Thought Jason Lowe did alright when he came on against Fulham. Bit of energy in the team. Scared at the thought of Salgado up against Arse wingers. My team:

Robbo

Salgado - Samba - Dann - Olsson

Rochina - Nzonzi - Lowe - Formica

Goodwillie - Yak/Roberts

Seeing as we're always good to (not against) teams who are on a slump/struggling, we will also help Arsenal turn their fortunes around. Still, I can see the point of those thinking we can get a draw. Surely Givet has to play CB if he's playing. Thought Jason Lowe did alright when he came on against Fulham. Bit of energy in the team. Scared at the thought of Salgado up against Arse wingers. My team:

Robbo

Salgado - Samba - Dann - Olsson

Rochina - Nzonzi - Lowe - Formica

Goodwillie - Yak/Roberts

I like that line-up but lowe isnt ready to start IMO

Archived