BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Vs Arsenal

I seriously fear for Salgado at right back up against Gervinho.

It's got red card or penalty written all over it!

TBH that would be a perfect excuse for Kean "we were in control until Salgsdo's red card, and then penatly changed the game".

Wenger will target Salgado for sure, be interesting to see if Kean drops him.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Lets be honest, under any manager most of us would expect us to lose this one, under Kean it just looks a little more certain.

In normal circumstances it's a bonus game but due to our bad start the pressue is on.

I know Kean gets abuse for dropping goalscorers but I'm not sure I'd start with Rochina unless its in the hole in this one although its a tricky one as I feel playing Roberts / Yakubu falls right into Mertesackers hands as Mertesacker will win a physical battle but not one of guile.

Robinson

Salgado Dann Samba Givet

Hoilett Grella Nzonzi Olsson

Rochina

Yak (if fit)

I'm struggling myself as I pointed out reasons not to play Yakubu but Goodwille looked shocking against Fulham if it wasn't an injury and Roberts is Roberts.

I can only see a defeat with Arsenal not playing well but Walcott destroying Salgado and we are going to get Frimponged!

How can any seriously put Vuckevic into the team, when no-one has seen him play?

Amazes me. It's fantasy football.

Hes an experienced international player who has played that position, was fit enough to play a recent international and surely knows the position better than Rochina? Especially now Emerton is not available.

I don't normally go for picking teams but, as we do not a worthy full-back at the club:

Robinson

Dann Nelsen Samba

Petrovic

Vukcevic Rochina N'Zonzi Olsson

Yakubu Formica

"Hey guys, we're weak in defensive midfield and down the flanks, let's take away the full-backs, put an extra striker on and move a DM further up the field." :rolleyes:

Kean

"Then there's also Junior Hoilett, Martin Ollson, Grant Hanley. Look at Jason Lowe who will play tomorrow. I have a 16 year old who is like Steven Gerrard at his age. The thing we have to do is get in the top half of the table this year and invest in 24-28 year olds that hold the young group together."

Not that we'd ever see this, but I'd like to see:

______________Robinson

_________Samba Dann Givet

Salgado_____________________Olsson

____________________N'Zonzi

____________Formica

Hoilett_________________Rochina

________________Yakubu

I like asymmetrical systems. The fact of the matter is, Olsson tracks back and Junior doesn't. When Junior does track back, he's ineffectual.

Playing wing backs allows Salgado to come forward to make up for Junior's defensive ineptitude and close down early, 'til N'Zonzi/Samba can get across to help, leaving Dann and Givet available in the middle and Olsson tracking back to help also.

Whilst some might be concerned at the lack of an "enforcer" in midfield, I don't think Petrovic is up to the task yet and I think N'Zonzi would be able to cope, with support from Salgado and Olsson and/or a CB, if/when needed.

When attacking, the option to push Givet across to LB is available, creating a flat back 4, which allows Olsson to break forward, supporting Rochina and giving him a wide option. I do feel Olsson is a grafter and, if asked to perform this more labour-intensive role, he'd thrive under it.

The one thing I've seen missing from the team is fluidity. I support Kean's intentions of progressive, attacking football, but without a more dynamic system, I don't feel we'll reach our potential.

I look forward to Saturday. I do have a good feeling about the match, though I can't explain why.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out, I have no basis for any of this stuff, other than opinioin. I am not a coach. I don't EVEN play Championship Manager.

ROBINSON

SALGADO - DANN - SAMBA - OLSSON

LOWE - NZONZI - PETROVIC - ROCHINA

HOILETT

YAKUBU

I can't see Salgado being dropped, so I'd be tempted to play Lowe ahead of him in midfield.

Then you could have Hoilett in the 'hole', drifting out-wide when needs be.

Olsson should play left-back to match Arsenal's pace. Rochina could play left-wing, which is potentially frightening in more ways than one.

Yakubu to play up-front (if match-fit), we need our best finisher up there.

I can't see Salgado being dropped, so I'd be tempted to play Lowe ahead of him in midfield.

Kean did talk about Lowe as a full back in the Kamy interview. Surely even Kean has noticed how Salgado gets bummed by pacey players - they don't come much faster Arsenal.

Is Dunn meant to be fit for this one? I can't see Petrovic starting after his mediocre showing.

Robinson

Lowe Samba Dann Givet

Dunn N'Zonzi

Rochina Hoilett Olsson

Yakubu

Subs: Bunn Salgado Grella Petrovic Vukcevic Roberts Goodwillie

Personally I'd put Olsson at left back and drop Givet because he always gets done by pace, but I doubt Kean will drop him after the second half performance last week.

Kean did talk about Lowe as a full back in the Kamy interview. Surely even Kean has noticed how Salgado gets bummed by pacey players - they don't come much faster Arsenal.

Is Dunn meant to be fit for this one? I can't see Petrovic starting after his mediocre showing.

Robinson

Lowe Samba Dann Givet

Dunn N'Zonzi

Rochina Hoilett Olsson

Yakubu

Subs: Bunn Salgado Grella Petrovic Vukcevic Roberts Goodwillie

Personally I'd put Olsson at left back and drop Givet because he always gets done by pace, but I doubt Kean will drop him after the second half performance last week.

Hum I think it will be more like:-

---------------Robinson

Lowe---Samba---Dann---Givet

Hoilett---Dunn---Nzonzi--Olsson

-----------------Rochina

-----------------Yakubu

Im really worried about Dunn and Nzonzi in the middle of the park. Both of them are poor at wining the ball back and closing down.

I would be really tempted to go:-

------------------Robinson

Salgado---Samba---Dann---Givet

---Lowe--Petrovic----Nzonzi---Olsson

-------------------Hoilett

-------------------Yakubu

Double up on the wings and look to Olsson and Hoilett to create on the break. Keep the shape at all costs.

Not that we'd ever see this, but I'd like to see:

______________Robinson

_________Samba Dann Givet

Salgado_____________________Olsson

____________________N'Zonzi

____________Formica

Hoilett_________________Rochina

________________Yakubu

I like asymmetrical systems. The fact of the matter is, Olsson tracks back and Junior doesn't. When Junior does track back, he's ineffectual.

Playing wing backs allows Salgado to come forward to make up for Junior's defensive ineptitude and close down early, 'til N'Zonzi/Samba can get across to help, leaving Dann and Givet available in the middle and Olsson tracking back to help also.

Whilst some might be concerned at the lack of an "enforcer" in midfield, I don't think Petrovic is up to the task yet and I think N'Zonzi would be able to cope, with support from Salgado and Olsson and/or a CB, if/when needed.

When attacking, the option to push Givet across to LB is available, creating a flat back 4, which allows Olsson to break forward, supporting Rochina and giving him a wide option. I do feel Olsson is a grafter and, if asked to perform this more labour-intensive role, he'd thrive under it.

The one thing I've seen missing from the team is fluidity. I support Kean's intentions of progressive, attacking football, but without a more dynamic system, I don't feel we'll reach our potential.

I look forward to Saturday. I do have a good feeling about the match, though I can't explain why.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out, I have no basis for any of this stuff, other than opinioin. I am not a coach. I don't EVEN play Championship Manager.

You should try Rocket Science mate because even though you are not a scientist and you don't even do any experiments, you'd be great at it!

That sounds like the worst set of tactics I've ever heard and we would be effectively playing a one man midfield with that formation. Arsenal would absolutely rinse us down the flanks, they'd get behind us so easily and Walcott and Van Persie would not believe their luck!

I'm no coach either but I'd go for 4-4-1-1 with Hoillet in the hole behind Yakubu or Goodwillie. Pack the midfield, get in their faces and do not let them dictate the tempo with their passing early on. Get Hoillet on the ball as much as possible and hit them down the flanks wherever possible. I'm confident the lads will be up for this one tommorrow! COYB!

"Hey guys, we're weak in defensive midfield and down the flanks, let's take away the full-backs, put an extra striker on and move a DM further up the field." :rolleyes:

OK so let's play Salgado and Givet again and watch them get murdered.

It's not my fault we don't have a decent full-back at the club is it.

Let's play Anderson and have a proper laugh...

The thought of Givet and Salgado up against Walcott & Gervinho is the stuff of nightmares to be honest. Olsson has to play left-back for me, the idea of playing Lowe at right-back sounds like a decent idea to me. If not have him playing right-midfield (like as already been suggested) to give Salgado some cover like he did effectively in the closing stages of the Fulham game.

You should try Rocket Science mate because even though you are not a scientist and you don't even do any experiments, you'd be great at it!

That sounds like the worst set of tactics I've ever heard and we would be effectively playing a one man midfield with that formation. Arsenal would absolutely rinse us down the flanks, they'd get behind us so easily and Walcott and Van Persie would not believe their luck!

I'm no coach either but I'd go for 4-4-1-1 with Hoillet in the hole behind Yakubu or Goodwillie. Pack the midfield, get in their faces and do not let them dictate the tempo with their passing early on. Get Hoillet on the ball as much as possible and hit them down the flanks wherever possible. I'm confident the lads will be up for this one tommorrow! COYB!

That's right, pack the midfield and punt aimlessly up to the man mountains of Hoilett and Goodwillie, maintaining a flat shape, while Arsenal pass triangles around us all afternoon. Brilliant. I don't doubt we'll see a 4-4-1-1 or thereabouts tomorrow.

With regards to asymmetry, it's about using people for their skills, rather than just picking the best RB, CB, LB and so on, without any thought about how they work together.

Still 4-4-1-1. Let's see how we get on with that gem.

EDIT: Incidentally, pack the midfield with who? Jason Lowe? How many senior appearances has he made? David Dunn? He gets a stitch while waiting for dessert. Who else is there?

The thought of Givet and Salgado up against Walcott & Gervinho is the stuff of nightmares to be honest. Olsson has to play left-back for me, the idea of playing Lowe at right-back sounds like a decent idea to me. If not have him playing right-midfield (like as already been suggested) to give Salgado some cover like he did effectively in the closing stages of the Fulham game.

Playing a 20 year old lad out of position on his second appearance sounds like a decent idea to you?

Archived