BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Protest March 17.09.11

OZTHEMAN

With your logic, should Georgie Thompson be removed from Sky Sports?

Also in his defence, he didn't say 99% of fans support him he said that 1% protested against him - which was absolutely correct.

Wrong. He said 99% were behind him.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrong. He said 99% were behind him.

Exactly what he said, I saw the full press conference on Monday (Not just the bits aired) and reiterrated it at that presser too with a smug smile and laugh.

I don't mind being part of the 1% because at least I can honestly say, that I was not happy with the situation and along with the others I stood shoulder to shoulder with, said so!!

I wonder how many of the marchers criticised Paul Ince in his time as manager; or how many signed the Facebook petition to prevent the signing of Sam allardyce or have vilified the likes of Keith Andrews as a player.

Rovers were[/b [/u] always considered a family club well run with an illustrious history.Not a club associated with media marches or personal attacks on management or playing staff.

I hope we can all get back to supporting the club and the manager and the players.

I'd hazard a guess at a quite a few - as useless as he was it didn't turn into a protest though as action was taken (even though he had a better record than our illustrious deluded at the mo) - so what's changed?

were being the operative word here mmm .. now let me think what reason could it be or why is it that we are not (considered) this anymore? :blink:

I don't think anybody has 'gone away' from supporting the club or players - just the dismissive deluded we have as a manager which has been repeated time upon time upon time upon time .........

Yet to see the pro Keaners with their 'Kean In' protest - given that 99% are apparently behind him, its logical to think a small minority from such a large percentage would be willing to stand up and be counted.

Am I wrong in saying that your post could be interpreted as:

The protest doesn't sit right with me. We are a family club and therefore regardless of what happens we should sit back and accept it. We should just see what the future holds and blindly walk towards it.

I interpreted it as:

We are a club whose fans have a long tradition of being extremely loyal and not over-reacting to things.

There is a new attitude among some fans (possibly message board-influenced) of seemingly never being happy, who didn't want Allardyce, who don't want Kean, who don't like Andrews, Pedersen, Roberts etc, and who are prepared to be as outspoken and destructive as necessary to enforce these opinions.

None of these fans (or any fans) have the knowledge and expertise in football that the people directly involved in Rovers have and they should bear in mind that their uninformed opinions are just that, and most of the time they don't know whats best over people making a living out of the game.

As long as the players/staff/manager/owners involved in Rovers are giving it their all, why can't the supporters just enjoy the ups and downs of football and get behind them?

Was an excellent post, one of the best I've seen on here.

Correct me if I'm wronk SKH, but wernt you rabidly anti Kean and/or Venkys last season?

Wouldn't describe it as rabid, wasn't one of the protestors outside the B'Burn End. Yeah the situation of Kean's record between February-April (PL 11, W 0, D 4, L 7) or Venkys sacking Williams, Finn and Allardyce was something of a nightmare. But at that point things were 10 times worse than they were pre-Arsenal. Since the dark days of last season, Kean's record has improved significantly and Venkys have spent money, kept hold of Samba and made more of an effort to improve their image at the club (including keeping our great ticket prices). I've always been perfectly willing to accept when I'm wrong, changing your opinion based on changing facts seems a logical attitude to me.

I interpreted it as:

We are a club whose fans have a long tradition of being extremely loyal and not over-reacting to things.

There is a new attitude among some fans (possibly message board-influenced) of seemingly never being happy, who didn't want Allardyce, who don't want Kean, who don't like Andrews, Pedersen, Roberts etc, and who are prepared to be as outspoken and destructive as necessary to enforce these opinions.

None of these fans (or any fans) have the knowledge and expertise in football that the people directly involved in Rovers have and they should bear in mind that their uninformed opinions are just that, and most of the time they don't know whats best over people making a living out of the game.

As long as the players/staff/manager/owners involved in Rovers are giving it their all, why can't the supporters just enjoy the ups and downs of football and get behind them?

Was an excellent post, one of the best I've seen on here

I was just going to reply to BPF`s post from yesterday but I have just read the above and you have put it far better than i could have done SKH. Thankyou.

Sorry, he did say the fact that 1% protested meant that the other 99% supported him. I saw the TV interview and the words came from his own mouth. And, "No" I'm not going to provide proof for you, it was Match of the Day I think.

Correct.

What Kean also forgets is that less than 1% of rovers supporters visit this site. Others would have heard about the march - but not known the details of where, when etc. Many not discussed on here the pro's and cons with regards to Kean. It can also be said that the 99% were not asked for their views / opinions. They supported the team on saturday as did the 1%.

So for Kean to say that 99% supported him, is really a stupid statement to make and making mugs of supporters by saying it.

I interpreted it as:

Well if he did mean that, he is being terribly naieve.

Wouldn't describe it as rabid, wasn't one of the protestors outside the B'Burn End. Yeah the situation of Kean's record between February-April (PL 11, W 0, D 4, L 7) or Venkys sacking Williams, Finn and Allardyce was something of a nightmare. But at that point things were 10 times worse than they were pre-Arsenal. Since the dark days of last season, Kean's record has improved significantly and Venkys have spent money, kept hold of Samba and made more of an effort to improve their image at the club (including keeping our great ticket prices). I've always been perfectly willing to accept when I'm wrong, changing your opinion based on changing facts seems a logical attitude to me.

Venky's have spent money? No - just some of the money we've got for Phil Jones has been spent.

Venky's have kept hold of Samba? No - just Arsenal didnt make a bid anywhere near what we would've wanted. Actually - did they even make a bid at all?

Venky's have kept ST ticket prices low? Big deal - this is still John William's initiative they're using, a man they removed.

Inviting a select few to India away from the rest of the fans doesn't do all that much for me, though I'm not writing it off as a bribe just yet. It should take a lot more than one good half of football against a team falling apart to cause a big change in opinion.

Well if he did mean that, he is being terribly naieve.

Agreed. I hate all this nonsense that people spout claiming it's impossible to both support your club whilst also protesting against the way its run. Maybe they have problems with doing those two things at the same time, but rest assured for a lot of fans the two things go hand in hand. Didn't think very much of his post myself..

moan moan moan. give it a rest and support the club.

Ha! And just as I was making that post, you prove my point. Congratulations, you've proved you're incapable of doing two things at once.

Exactly tgm.

I want the best for the club at all times, I don't blindly back those in positions of authority if I feel they are making mistakes. That's not 'support' for me.

However, there are fans who's attitude is 'as long as there is a team playing in blue n White halves down Ewood then I'm happy'.

Those two views are never going to converge.

Interesting viewpoint and one that's been aired on here before.

Qustions arising from that could be along the lines of, did the poster just sit back and accept everything Jim Iley and Brian Kidd did at Rovers? I guess the answer would have been yes.

If Kean has more idea of how to organise a football team than any fan, then why has he continually left Givet and Salgado out to dry? Every fan on this site can see that particular problem.

Why did Kean play against Newcastle with not one player on the right said of midfield? The fans who went to the game could see that was a huge problem.

Why are his substitutions regularly weakening the team? We can see that they have done.

Why did Souness think it a great idea to sign an Italian second division player for £7.5m, when the average fan thought it was a huge risk?

To say that a football manager always knows more about the way to set a team up, than any fan is patently not true.

Qustions arising from that could be along the lines of, did the poster just sit back and accept everything Jim Iley and Brian Kidd did at Rovers? I guess the answer would have been yes.

If Kean has more idea of how to organise a football team than any fan, then why has he continually left Givet and Salgado out to dry? Every fan on this site can see that particular problem.

Why did Kean play against Newcastle with not one player on the right said of midfield? The fans who went to the game could see that was a huge problem.

Why are his substitutions regularly weakening the team? We can see that they have done.

Why did Souness think it a great idea to sign an Italian second division player for £7.5m, when the average fan thought it was a huge risk?

To say that a football manager always knows more about the way to set a team up, than any fan is patently not true.

Not just that, but the people most directly involved in the club (ie Venky's) know a lot, lot less about football than most fans.

Although I think some fans on here probably know even less by the looks of it..

Not just that, but the people most directly involved in the club (ie Venky's) know a lot, lot less about football than most fans.

Although I think some fans on here probably know even less by the looks of it..

Sorry, was meant to be a +1 for your post.

Sorry, he did say the fact that 1% protested meant that the other 99% supported him. I saw the TV interview and the words came from his own mouth. And, "No" I'm not going to provide proof for you, it was Match of the Day I think.

No, I still disagree. He said the other fans were behind "us" (the team). He never said behind "me" or support "me" that is just the way the negative brigade are taking it.

I've never known such tedious reasons for disliking a manager. If the reason to march against him is purely about results, that's absolutely fine because they haven't been good enough but it was 4 games into a new season and there is no need to panic. It seems a lot of the protesting back slapping buddies on here are a bit red-faced now and sound like scorned women who are looking to pick fault with anything at all the guy says or does and create excuses to justify why you had such a naff turnout. You shared the same view which is entirely your choice but it was essentially a really small scale protest. The weather wasn't to blame, communication wasn't to blame, logistics weren't to blame...people just didn't agree with the timing of it and possibly even the negativity it attracts - especially BEFORE a massive, must win game. It doesn't mean they adore the manager, or even like him...it just means that they aren't entirely behind you guys either. The media potrayed you like numpties after the win, which is unfair - but what did you think their agenda would be regarding Rovers?

No, I still disagree. He said the other fans were behind "us" (the team). He never said behind "me" or support "me" that is just the way the negative brigade are taking it.

I've never known such tedious reasons for disliking a manager. If the reason to march against him is purely about results, that's absolutely fine because they haven't been good enough but it was 4 games into a new season and there is no need to panic. It seems a lot of the protesting back slapping buddies on here are a bit red-faced now and sound like scorned women who are looking to pick fault with anything at all the guy says or does and create excuses to justify why you had such a naff turnout. You shared the same view which is entirely your choice but it was essentially a really small scale protest. The weather wasn't to blame, communication wasn't to blame, logistics weren't to blame...people just didn't agree with the timing of it and possibly even the negativity it attracts - especially BEFORE a massive, must win game. It doesn't mean they adore the manager, or even like him...it just means that they aren't entirely behind you guys either. The media potrayed you like numpties after the win, which is unfair - but what did you think their agenda would be regarding Rovers?

What are these 'tedious' reasons? For me, the only issue with a manager is his record.

4 games into the new season? It was still 25 league games into Kean's managerial career with Rovers. He should have been fired last season - the summer was ideal opportunity to get a real manager in. The slate doesn't start clean just because it's a new season, our poor form this season is a continuation of last season.

One fortuitous win (and good second half performance) against a team who have got 16 points from their last 16 games doesnt change the fact we have a lot of difficult fixtures coming up and even with 4 points from 5 games, looking at our fixtures I still think its highly likely we won't have many points on the board after ten games.

People dislike Kean because of his results first and foremost. Everything else takes a distant second.

You want to know tedious reasons for disliking a manager? Try the morons on here who used to (and still do) criticise the last manager.

4 games into the new season? It was still 25 league games into Kean's managerial career with Rovers. He should have been fired last season - the summer was ideal opportunity to get a real manager in. The slate doesn't start clean just because it's a new season, our poor form this season is a continuation of last season.

One fortuitous win (and good second half performance) against a team who have got 16 points from their last 16 games doesnt change the fact we have a lot of difficult fixtures coming up and even with 4 points from 5 games, looking at our fixtures I still think its highly likely we won't have many points on the board after ten games.

People dislike Kean because of his results first and foremost. Everything else takes a distant second.

You want to know tedious reasons for disliking a manager? Try the morons on here who used to (and still do) criticise the last manager.

Yes, Allardyce's style of play was VERY tedious indeed ;)

Blimey Den you are claiming you know how Iley, Kidd, Souness and Kean get/got it so wrong. I suggest you get your Uefa badge asap and then you can show us what to do.Your arrogance on these matters is astounding.

Blimey Den you are claiming you know how Iley, Kidd, Souness and Kean get/got it so wrong. I suggest you get your Uefa badge asap and then you can show us what to do.Your arrogance on these matters is astounding.

What a load of tosh.

Why criticise any professional footballer since they're better than most of us could ever hope to be? Why criticise politicians decisions since most of them know more about being in public office than any of us?

It's bloody obvious Souness got a lot of things wrong in the latter stages of his reign at Rovers and that Kidd did too. You don't need a UEFA badge to know that.

Archived