BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dunny Slags fans

ABBEY

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100% Dunn's and that's why his career has never hit the heights it should.

I'd say him being one of the most injury-prone players in football has more to do with it.

Are players expected to remain tee-toal for 8 months of the year now then? Or is this criticism another ridiculous manifestation of the Dunn witchhunt?

They should get some scientists to investigate how many scapegoat players Rovers fans require at any one point. I'm starting to think its 3. In recent times the trend seems to have been:

Andrews - Roberts - Pedersen

Salgado - Roberts - Pedersen

Dunn - Roberts - Pedersen

Watch out N'Zonzi if Dunn gets dropped, you not being able to single handedly defend for our entire midfield has earned some criticism this season from what I've read.

out on the lash a few days before a big game???? way to go kean !!!

i never drank for 6 weeks before a comp ,imagine khan on the ale(not muslim comment btw,just athelete example) on tuesday night before fighting this saturday!!

Preparing for a fight and being a professional footballer are slightly different. Not a fair comparison.

I think we are getting a bit carried away. I bet lots of players go out for a meal, drink wine or have a few beers, once a week or more. Dunny's just been very unlucky with injuries - not the booze. In his prime, a class player.

well sadly drinking during season is quite common in football.

Its been a huge debate in norway around this. there have been many top international athletes and coaches in cross country skiing, cycling etc who have critized football players lack of professionalism.

Even though you cant compare pure endurance sports to football its no doubt that alcohol will affect any athletes performance. When they earn so much money and are so privileged as they are they should be more professional. if you earn 10-20 000 k a week it should be expected that you drink alcohol in very limited amount during 8 months of a year.

Didn't a certain Brazilian legend die recently? Didn't he smash up the booze and fags throughout his career and remain great (and never looked out of shape, bar the Garforth game!).

The England Rugby team was out on the lash midweek during the world cup and it didn't effect their fitness during the games (though given how ###### they were maybe it isn't the best example). Plenty of guys at my club are always on the lash on a Friday and put in a good performance on the Saturday. I'd put good money on Dunn not being obliterated on that night and being able to train the next day.

I wish someone would change this thread title as well, he didn't slag the fans at all in that article.

• Backroom

But what level do you play at malk?

It wouldn't be a problem as much if his history wasn't as it is.

I would love to see a stat on how many Christmas periods he has missed in his career, I bet it's more than he's been fit for.

Didn't a certain Brazilian legend die recently? Didn't he smash up the booze and fags throughout his career and remain great (and never looked out of shape, bar the Garforth game!).

The England Rugby team was out on the lash midweek during the world cup and it didn't effect their fitness during the games (though given how ###### they were maybe it isn't the best example). Plenty of guys at my club are always on the lash on a Friday and put in a good performance on the Saturday. I'd put good money on Dunn not being obliterated on that night and being able to train the next day.

I wish someone would change this thread title as well, he didn't slag the fans at all in that article.

Yes, and gazza was a great player too, but he would probably have been a lot better without it, (though maybe gazza actually needed it to perform). Ronaldinho was superb until he started partying every week and brian clough sent his team out to a bar before their

European cup final. Some players have so much talent that they can still be good at top level (like gazza), but they would have been even better without it.

I'll bet you that mark cavendish does not go out and drink a week before any competition

ffs Dunnys just a local lad that can play football and luckily for him he's been paid well for the pleasure. He's always tried 100% for BRFC - there is absolutley no doubt about that, no doubt whatsoever! His heart is with BRFC.

Yes he has been paid well, but I would bet that he would have give just as much if he had played during the 70s or 80s. Maybe his recent comment has turned some against him (it was a daft, and wrong, thing to say) but we all make occasional mistakes.

No, I look at the comments that have been made by local people throughout his career and most of it reeks of pure envy. Yeah the lad struck gold but don't judge him for how the system works! There have been many mercenaries in football but DD is not one of those - he is a down-to-earth local guy. If he had played in the same team as Simon Garner we would all be praising him for having a pint with the lads!

But what level do you play at malk?

It wouldn't be a problem as much if his history wasn't as it is.

I would love to see a stat on how many Christmas periods he has missed in his career, I bet it's more than he's been fit for.

Christ no level at all but I was meaning more the guys in the first team that play at level 6 (i.e. six divisions below the Aviva Premiership). The difference also being that Dunn wasn't doing it the night before a game!

Yes, and gazza was a great player too, but he would probably have been a lot better without it, (though maybe gazza actually needed it to perform). Ronaldinho was superb until he started partying every week and brian clough sent his team out to a bar before their

European cup final. Some players have so much talent that they can still be good at top level (like gazza), but they would have been even better without it.

I'll bet you that mark cavendish does not go out and drink a week before any competition

You can't compare cycling to football. A grand tour is a little different to ninety minutes of football every week (or maybe twice a week!). For all the rumours Dunn isn't a booze hound and certainly isn't fat. Comparing Dunn to Gazza and Ronaldinho is laughable.

The thread title makes me chuckle every time I see it tbh, hope it stays the same :lol:

I do think it might be missing an apostrophe.

ffs Dunnys just a local lad that can play football and luckily for him he's been paid well for the pleasure. He's always tried 100% for BRFC - there is absolutley no doubt about that, no doubt whatsoever! His heart is with BRFC.

Yes he has been paid well, but I would bet that he would have give just as much if he had played during the 70s or 80s. Maybe his recent comment has turned some against him (it was a daft, and wrong, thing to say) but we all make occasional mistakes.

No, I look at the comments that have been made by local people throughout his career and most of it reeks of pure envy. Yeah the lad struck gold but don't judge him for how the system works! There have been many mercenaries in football but DD is not one of those - he is a down-to-earth local guy. If he had played in the same team as Simon Garner we would all be praising him for having a pint with the lads!

He is on the board. He is deputy CEO. He is taking the venkys shilling. He is complicit in events at ewood. If he really is a "decent chap" that is frustated he should resign immediately. Anyone with a shred of personal integrity, let alone a desire to have some sort of future reputation in football, would quit this shambles at once. Even better if he then lifted the lid on events.

What you made of Mr. Hunt?

:rolleyes: So your shop floor mate Dunny (who is probably on 10 times more than PH gets paid) will be dumping the Venky's shilling asap then? He'll be "resigning immediately"?

And you'll never judge Paul Hunt on"how the system works" :rolleyes:

For all the rumours Dunn isn't a booze hound and certainly isn't fat. Comparing Dunn to Gazza and Ronaldinho is laughable.

It is laughable yes, because both the other players were much better than him for much longer whatever any of them drank/ate. I'd bet Ronaldinho is fitter than Dunn is anyway...

How many broken legs/ankles, cruciate injuries has he had? In conrast, how many strains, pulls, vague 'knocks?'

I'm no Majibal but to me his lifestyle could easily have had an impact on his time off the pitch.

I like Dunn as a player and a bloke, but in my opinion he never quite reached his potential.

Great comparison, that one.

He was in his pomp 30 years ago. Sports science has come on a wee bit since then, players have got that wee bit fitter.

Alcohol is not a performance aid.

Preparing for a fight and being a professional footballer are slightly different. Not a fair comparison.

Oh so footy doesnt need you fit?

I'd say him being one of the most injury-prone players in football has more to do with it.

Are players expected to remain tee-toal for 8 months of the year now then? Or is this criticism another ridiculous manifestation of the Dunn witchhunt?

They should get some scientists to investigate how many scapegoat players Rovers fans require at any one point. I'm starting to think its 3. In recent times the trend seems to have been:

Andrews - Roberts - Pedersen

Salgado - Roberts - Pedersen

Dunn - Roberts - Pedersen

Watch out N'Zonzi if Dunn gets dropped, you not being able to single handedly defend for our entire midfield has earned some criticism this season from what I've read.

Not a witch hunt at all, but if I was a pro athlete I'd be off the booze full time!

in most countries there´s a long summer break, there is also a long winter break, its in those times, that the players should be able to party somewhat hard. During the season its a no go, they are paid some serious cash to get a win, entertain at the same time and in that equation, alcohol doesnt help.

let me make myself clear, after a game and when the adrenaline is still flying high in the system, i wouldnt mind if they had 1 or 2 beers or 1 or 2 glasses of wine, but it should stop there.

likewise, i also expect them to follow a strict diet, eat healthy and follow a structured plan, when it comes to food, again, they are paid more the enough and as such a responsibility follows.

all this about how you cant compare cycling, football or whatever sport you mention, is pure and utter nonsense. Fitness levels are more important then ever, when it comes to professional sports.

its simple, drinking effects your physical ability negatively. you cant run as much and will tire quicker. As you tire quicker, you will lose pace and acceleration. As we all know, in football many goals are scored in the last 10-15 minutes, as players are tired and this affect their decision making.

:rolleyes: So your shop floor mate Dunny (who is probably on 10 times more than PH gets paid) will be dumping the Venky's shilling asap then? He'll be "resigning immediately"?

And you'll never judge Paul Hunt on"how the system works" :rolleyes:

Tris! I'm flattered that you are following my posts so devotedly. I hope it doesn't develop further though as stalking is not a very nice personal trait.

Moving on, I think it is quite telling that you chose to post this on the Dunny thread rather than the Paul Hunt thread. Maybe you this because you think you are on more solid ground? Would want to be seen siding with the bosses and expose your anti-worker bias to the masses eh? Anyone with half a brain (not sure if you have half or just think that the rest of us just have half!) can see that DD and PH are in different situations. Although both are employees of the venkeans, DD was not recruited by them. PH was recruited by them and is doing the job that he was employed to do.

By the way i'm sure that venkeans will be pleased to see that you continue to do the hard opinion-moulding work for them in the background. Who said the FF-Pune-trip was a waste of time and money?

Great comparison, that one.

He was in his pomp 30 years ago. Sports science has come on a wee bit since then, players have got that wee bit fitter.

Alcohol is not a performance aid.

So Dunny likes a pint. However I think we can all agree that he is not taking any performance enhancing drugs.

Archived