BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who's your 11?

seanc88

Thought it'd be interesting to see who the fan's would pick from our current squad as a starting 11. Obviously injuries will happen but I'd go with 4-4-2 Robinson, Lowe(rb) Samba, Dann, Givet(Lb), Olsson(LW) Nelsen(DM), Dunn(AM), Hoilett(RW), Yakubu, Goodwillie. That way we'd have a strong bench to choose from of youth and some experience with Formica, Rochina, Salgado, Nzonzi, Petrovic, Vukcevic, Hanley, Bunn, Pederson, Roberts, etc. I think using Olsson and Junior on the wings might actually give some supply to Yakubu and Goodwillie(just need to get Junior to track back and give cover to Lowe), and Nelsen was key for New Zealand the last world cup in a sweeper role so why not utilise it and have 3 big centre backs defending set pieces and attacking when we get ours. I'd like to see Kean(or please god his successor) play Vukcevic. He could come in for Dunn or play on the right with Junior in the centre behind the two strikers.

Just thought it'd be nice to do something to take my mind off all these rumours. C.O.Y.B!!!!

GK: Robbo

RB: Salgado - poor so far this season, but vastly experienced and no real alternative

CB: Samba

CB: Dann - not great so far, but should hopefully settle in

LB: Givet

RW: Hoilett

CDM: Nzonzi

CDM: Grella - presuming he's fit

LW: Olsson

FW: Yakubu

FW: Goodwillie

Based on current fitness….id like to see this tried.

-----------------Robbo------------------

--------Samba----Dann----Givet----------

--Lowe---------------------------Olsson-

-----------------NZonzi-----------------

----------------------------------------

------Hoilett--Petrovic--Rochina--------

----------------Yakubu------------------

Whther I see a 4-4-2 Rovers I think we loo horribly weak, somehow 4-5-1 looks stronger.

Robbo

Lowe Samba Dann Givet

Holiet Nzonzi Dunn Pedersen Olsson

Yakubu

The trouble is just like under Sam our central midfield is very weak and even playing 3 in there gives me worries.

I'd still pump for this formation:

Robbo

Dann Samba Givet Olsson

Grella N'zonzi

Vuckevic Hoillet Formica

Rochina

-------------------Robinson---------------

Salgado---Samba---Dann---Givet

Olsson---N'Zonzi---Lowe---Rochina

---------------------Hoilett-----------------

--------------------Roberts-----------------

Basically as near as possible to the team played at the end of last season. We picked up 8 points from 4 games and apart from the start its been the only mini-period during which Kean has been successful. I find it astonishing that he hasn't tried it once this season. Especially given the problems caused at full-back with Hoilett's refusal to track back and the fact that he was devastating against Wolves down the middle.

If everyone is fit and on form? Probably...

................... Robinson

Salgado Samba Dann Olsson

...................... Grella

............. Dunn ..... N'Zonzi

.... Vukcevic .................. Hoilett

.................... Yakubu

It was a toss up between Lowe/Salgado at right back, and Dann/Givet in the centre.

Shows you are playing poorly when no one knows what the best team is.

For me the key things are:-

• Lowe needs to play in midfield as he already seems to be by far our best central player
  • Hoilett needs to play up front if we can afford the lack of cover, as he is so sensationally dangerous and actually scores goals (unlike any of our 'proper' strikers). He also seems to think tracking back is beneath him this season.
  • It is far more important we keep good shape and work hard than anything else. It doesn't matter what formation we play if players aren't working well together and busting a gut to get behind the ball and close the opposition down.

So with that said I would say...

At home against teams outside the top six/seven:-

--------------------Robinson

Salgado----Samba----Dann----Givet

------------------------Lowe

-------Formica-----Nzonzi-----Olsson

----------------Yakubu----Hoilett

Away against anyone, and home against the top six:-

---------------------Robinson

Salgado----Samba----Dann----Givet

-------------------------Lowe

---Hoilett---Nzonzi------Pedersen----Olsson

-----------------------Yakubu

I'm not a big fan of Formica or Pedersen so if Vukcevic can be an improvement over either of them that would be a big bonus.

We desperately need to get tighter and stop leaking goals, become hard to beat and then leave the creative players up top to come up with the goals, at a stage now where I feel we need to go back to move forward.

GK - Robinson

RB - Lowe

CB - Samba

CB - Nelsen (If Fit)(Dann)

LB - Givet

RM - Simon

CM - N'Zonzi

CM - Grella (If Fit)

LM - Olsson

CF - Hoilett

CF - Rochina

Lowe BY FAR our best midfielder already?? Think that's extreme

I wouldn't - he is by no means brilliant but Nzonzi is static and Petrovic is very poor all round. Our other options are either playing out of position (Pedersen) or have severe injury problems (Dunn and Grella). Lowe does the basics well and is available. That's what you want.

I wouldn't - he is by no means brilliant but Nzonzi is static and Petrovic is very poor all round. Our other options are either playing out of position (Pedersen) or have severe injury problems (Dunn and Grella). Lowe does the basics well and is available. That's what you want.

Nzonzi's better than Lowe. Lowe needs to win player of the year this season, then be a first team regular for the following 1-2 seasons after that to equal what Nzonzi has done so far at the club. He's had a good start but its easy to get carried away.

Archived