BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is it time to stop protesting and get behind the manager, the owners and the team?

Roost

I am undecided on the protests.

Despite the best efforts of Glen et al, I don't really know what positive impact it's having and wondered whether it's worth pursuing.

I read Glens earlier post regarding the next protest plans and the deals that the club were trying to broker with the protest group and thought that it may be better to engage with the club and agree not to protest on the understanding that a meeting is held between the club, the manager and protest organisers.

If the club fail to deliver on their agreement to meet then their credibility will be shot, and this will hurt them more than the protests, especially if you keep the press involved.

As I said above, just a thought............

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me personally, I was doubtful of Kean in december/january, but I seem to remember giving him a fair chance. Now, almost 30 games later and two transfer windows, we are losing too many games and we are not going in the right direction and I dont think Steve Kean has done anything to deserve a second chance. Not from me anyway.

I am also very frustrated with the owners, but if they sack Steve Kean they will get alot more support from me. Doesnt change the fact that they dont seem to know how to run a footballclub though. I am also very much in doubt about how interested they really are, I get the feeling that they just bought us for publicity and dont have any interest in the team and the results :mellow:

So no, I wont get behind Steve Kean, and Im not too sure about the owners.

But I support the team, the players and the club (whats left of it anyway... :rolleyes: )

Here's another thought:

What's causing more damage?

* Protesting for positive action and the removal of the clearly incompetent manager?

* Blindly supporting the team, even criticising the protesters, in the face of some inconceivably bad results and performances?

Despite the best efforts of Glen et al, I don't really know what positive impact it's having and wondered whether it's worth pursuing.

I read Glens earlier post regarding the next protest plans and the deals that the club were trying to broker with the protest group and thought that it may be better to engage with the club and agree not to protest on the understanding that a meeting is held between the club, the manager and protest organisers.

If the club fail to deliver on their agreement to meet then their credibility will be shot, and this will hurt them more than the protests, especially if you keep the press involved.

1. The team seems to play well on protest days. So it hasn't hurt. Perhaps a bit of the lash spurs the squad on?

2. Per Glen, the club has previously promised meetings with Kean, etc., and has failed to deliver. So why should be give them something concrete now, in exchange of a promise from a less than credible source that they will do something for us at some indefinite time in the future?

Andy, I have never criticised the protest group, and never will. I am just not sure if it's making a jot of difference, and that's no fault of theirs. It's our new, naive, ignorant owners fault as they were led up the garden path by SEM/Kentaro.

Sorry Roost, should have said, not directed at you (or any single person for that matter).

Just frustrated at the attitude of some fans who criticise those who protest and feel that just burying your head in the sand and blindly supporting the club is the best way forward.

I'm in support of the protests and don't agree with people giving them flack, but on reflection I think the protests are poorly timed.

They have occurred during games against Arsenal, Man City and Spurs. All these teams are considerably stronger than us, yet we had some of our best performances this season against these 3 teams.

We beat Arsenal, we kept Man City at bay for over 50 minutes by defending well as a team for the first time under Kean and we fully deserved at least a point against Spurs after a very good performance where Kean seemed to address a number of tactical deficiencies from previous games.

While Arsenal was not in-form, City and Spurs very much were.

The average fan and the average observer WILL see the protest as harsh on the day and in that context. This also includes the owners.

They will ignore the fact that it's been months of incompetence and mismanagement. They will just look at those individual games.

I guarantee the same thing will happen against Chelsea if we don't get thrashed from the outset.

My advice is that the protest needs to somehow separate itself from the game on the day. The anti-protesters, the media, the players, the manager, the owners all need to know that it's not about losing to Chelsea.

It's about the lack of results all season, last season, terrible tactical decisions, inadequate signings, the snide comments to the fans, the lying and so on. We don't want him sacked NOW, we wanted him sacked months ago. Venky's decision to stick with him has not been justified.

I like what you are saying Roost....

at present it it to easy to blame the negativity surrounding the club on protesters saying they are a disruption, what would be betetr IMHO opinion is not protesting, just don't go to the games and when we keep losing and losing and face relegation the owners have no one to blame but themselves for this predicament.

I like what you are saying Roost....

at present it it to easy to blame the negativity surrounding the club on protesters saying they are a disruption, what would be betetr IMHO opinion is not protesting, just don't go to the games and when we keep losing and losing and face relegation the owners have no one to blame but themselves for this predicament.

I understand what you are saying but I disagree. The issue is not being proved right, but surviving the season in the PL. And even if we began more passive and supporters simply stopped showing up (which appears to be happening), Venkys would still blame the lack of fan support for relegation.

So far I think we are in a damned if we do and damned if we don't relationship with Venkys. That being the case, I'd rather go down swinging (metaphorically).

I really hope the supporters give the management an earful this weekend.

I understand what you are saying but I disagree. The issue is not being proved right, but surviving the season in the PL. And even if we began more passive and supporters simply stopped showing up (which appears to be happening), Venkys would still blame the lack of fan support for relegation.

we're no longer seen as supporters/fans, we're just customers under Venkys ownership.

We're no longer seen as supporters/fans, we're just customers under Venkys ownership.

We're no longer seen as supporters/fans, we're just customers under Venkys ownership.

I honestly think that they don't even see supporters as customers, more as an inconvenience, gate receipts make up very little of the clubs money at the end of the day and considering the promises made on the takeover both on official documents and in the press which have been broken, keeping the fans onside is definitely not a priority in their long term plan whatever that might be

I honestly think that they don't even see supporters as customers, more as an inconvenience, gate receipts make up very little of the clubs money at the end of the day and considering the promises made on the takeover both on official documents and in the press which have been broken, keeping the fans onside is definitely not a priority in their long term plan whatever that might be

Asset strip and pocket parachute payment money?

I've marched twice and sat in twice, but let's face it this is dragging on much longer than most of us thought.

We lose to Chelsea, Kean gets a load of abuse, as do the owners. A week later- no movement. What's the plan then?

Before we know it we ate hitting the Christmas period and are up to our necks in it. Do we try and unite or protest all season long?

Basically, we are fcuked!!! With news of kean buying a house and this mortgage news I feel the end of BRFC is slowly edging closer and it's scary that our owners canny see it. If we do go bust and cease to exist I will personally make it an objective of mine to seek out the people responsible and give them a piece of my mind and I'd be trying my hardest not to resort to violence

I've marched twice and sat in twice, but let's face it this is dragging on much longer than most of us thought.

We lose to Chelsea, Kean gets a load of abuse, as do the owners. A week later- no movement. What's the plan then?

Before we know it we ate hitting the Christmas period and are up to our necks in it. Do we try and unite or protest all season long?

That is a very good point.

We are in such a difficult situation at the minute and these are real times of uncertainty, but what sounds better, a protest at the Chelsea match or to have halted further action because a meeting has been agreed with the club? Surely the latter is more fruitful in the long run?

I know the club have reneged on their agreement for a meeting previously but at that time perhaps they were not sure just how determined the protestors were, and now they do.

If there was 'mass panic' at the club the other day regarding further protests, then what a time to catch them on the back foot and press them into a commitment.

A headline in the Telegraph to say 'protestors agree to meet with the club' carries more weight than 'protestors plan more action'.

I don't know, maybe I have got this all wrong?

That is a very good point.

We are in such a difficult situation at the minute and these are real times of uncertainty, but what sounds better, a protest at the Chelsea match or to have halted further action because a meeting has been agreed with the club? Surely the latter is more fruitful in the long run?

The club should be willing to speak to the fans at any time, not just because there are about to be a few banners flying around that they don't like.

My message to the club would be along the lines of "we've already agreed about the details for this weekend, but we'll meet the board members at any time".

I'm in support of the protests and don't agree with people giving them flack, but on reflection I think the protests are poorly timed.

Poorly timed would be the likes of Bolton or Swansea at home. Games where we all HAVE to all get behind everybody. Also games where i'm sure the protest organisers wouldn't want to be made the scapegoats as would happen should we not win.

Nothing positive can happen at the club until Kean has been sacked.

He is ripping the club appart as the fan base is now split down the middle. Some want to protest others don't but no one wants his!

Add to that if he doesn't go we WILL 100% be in a lower division next yaer. And if he is still here the following year we will fall another devision that is our plight.

Every manager deserves a chance but Kean has had more than anyone deserves and he shows absolutley no real signs of improvement.

KEAN OUT.

If we stop protesting now we have lost and we will be seen to have lost by the media. Kean will have won and will be smirking all the way to the bank.

We can't give in now or we will look like a lot of gutless fools who gave up when the going got tough. I for one do not wish to be labelled a coward and will be in my seat 45mins before the kick off on Saturday. It's a JW upper seat but it's the best I can do.

I actually intended to attend the FF meeting last night but I had business to attend to and got home too late. Maybe I can make the next one.

Archived