BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cryer.

den

• Backroom

Pretty fair, but difficult to paint Venky's first year in charge as anything other than a total disaster.

A couple of intentionally open-ended questions from Cryer asking just who has been advising them so badly.

An interesting article. The bit at the end is very interesting. Would people say that they have done as they assured us with points a - g?

B ) intended to continue to support the existing management team and staff, and that it is committed to the future development of, and investment in, the club’s academy and youth infrastructure.

How long did that one last? 2 weeks?

LT

Pretty fair?

No where near damning enough for me...

In less than twelve months under their tenure they have ripped the very fabric out of my club and all it stood for.

Cryer isn't a Fan, the article demonstrates this quite well, he should have told it as it is, instead of treading on egg shells.

Good and honest report Andy Cryer for once, and lets hope the Venky read that report and if there not selling up there should not treat us how there are.Venkys knows there have made big mistakes and the only way the mistakes can be solved if there come out from there hiding house and talk to the press and removed kean and sack there silly board there have placed at rovers, I am coming to a point where I am really pulling my hairs out.

Just had a quick read so apologies if I missed it, however, crucially no mention of the influence of Kentaro or state of finances at the club?

Barclays mortgage?

The big issues are continously ducked time and time again.

No where near damning enough for me...

In less than twelve months under their tenure they have ripped the very fabric out of my club and all it stood for.

Cryer isn't a Fan, the article demonstrates this quite well, he should have told it as it is, instead of treading on egg shells.

Disagree - I think it was a well balanced article that dealt only with the facts. To be honest the facts are pretty damning - without all the rumours in the background.

I thought it a well balanced article. He's not foaming at the mouth, but he hit the nails on the head.

My perspective on Venkys' fulfillment of their promises (in bold):

When Venky’s completed their takeover last year, Anuradha Desai said: “We are very proud to be associated with Blackburn Rovers.

"We will absolutely respect the Jack Walker legacy and will be actively supporting the organisation to ensure that Blackburn Rovers remains one of the best run clubs within the Premier League.

"We are particularly pleased that the deal has full support of the Walker Trustees, the chairman and the management team who will of course remain in place with our full support.”

The Venky’s board gave assurances that they: a) would commit funds on a consistent and systematic basis to future transfer and/or loan activity.

FAIL. Other than borrowed moneys and/or funds generated by transfers, have they put ANY of their own money into the club?

b ) intended to continue to support the existing management team and staff, and that it is committed to the future development of, and investment in, the club’s academy and youth infrastructure.

FAIL. As Cryer pointed out, Sam Allardyce was out the door within a couple of weeks and the balance of the management team, Chairman John Williams, managing director Tom Finn, secretary Andrew Pincher and finance director Martin Goodman, were all out within months. I'm not certain Venkys is entitled to any credibility on any point for this breach of promise alone. Dismantling the Rovers management was directly contrary to their undertaking.

c) would continue to support, promote and extend the club’s local community and CSR activities.

FAIL. Based on the banner ban, turning the music up to drown out post-match chants, and similar activities, it seems Venkys is at war with a significant portion of the club's fan base, which surely qualify as part of the "local community."

d) would seek to extend the Blackburn Rovers name and brand into India, the rest of south east Asia and beyond.

BEGINNINGS OF SUCCESS. The Pune Cup, etc. indicate Venkys were serious about at least one of their written promises.

e) would seek to develop and improve commercial performance across sponsorship, the club’s kit deal and general merchandising.

FAIL, WITH KUDOS. Venkys had to give the sponsorship away, though I give them credit for refusing to just take any offer and preferring a local charity in lieu of something less.

f) would seek to enhance the fan experience on matchdays and to maximise season ticket sales and any remaining matchday ticket sales.

FAIL. Attendances are reportedly down, fans are frustrated, and Venkys' manager, Steve Kean, believes it appropriate to blame either insufficient dew or the 1% for his inadequate results (note to Kean- the number of times the squad penetrates the opposition's box does not count toward league standings).

g) intended to improve the club’s media platforms and to become more active in the social media space.

FAIL, at least from my perspective. The official blog is a ghost town I've heard and the club has hardly been interactive with the fans in any positive sense.

All said, from my perspective Venkys have been woeful in meeting their written commitments. I'm not sure what passes for honor in Pune, India, but Venkys need to sell or step up to the plate.

Anyone read the experts opinions in the LET?

I want to know what makes Bryan Douglas, Jason Wilcox, Simon Garner and Kabir Mandrekar of the Indian Express newspaper experts.

Only Garns comes out of this with any credit.

"How would I describe Venky’s first year in charge? A mess, that is how. The club has been a laughing stock from virtually day one and it has to stop before the joke ends in relegation."

Fair article but written without passion - you get the feeling the writer is not a Rovers supporter. In my day the local football correspondent had to think and write like a fan because they were the people he was writing for and trying to connect with. In the case of Andy Cryer's article it reads as though it is written by an outsider. You only have to read the comments below the article to see the depth of anti-Kean / Venky's feeling in the town and the LET's stories should reflect this. Local papers always used to run "campaigns" in years gone by and a campaign to remove the present Ewood regime would surely boost readership at a time when local newspapers are struggling desperately for revenue and circulation. At present the LET is not doing its job with regards to Rovers as the voice of the community - and this passionless article is sadly another example.

Fair article but written without passion - you get the feeling the writer is not a Rovers supporter. In my day the local football correspondent had to think and write like a fan because they were the people he was writing for and trying to connect with. In the case of Andy Cryer's article it reads as though it is written by an outsider. You only have to read the comments below the article to see the depth of anti-Kean / Venky's feeling in the town and the LET's stories should reflect this. Local papers always used to run "campaigns" in years gone by and a campaign to remove the present Ewood regime would surely boost readership at a time when local newspapers are struggling desperately for revenue and circulation. At present the LET is not doing its job with regards to Rovers as the voice of the community - and this passionless article is sadly another example.

it's probably best he isn't, passion rules too much sometimes, he has to stay a little open to both sides.

it's probably best he isn't, passion rules too much sometimes, he has to stay a little open to both sides.

Got to agree with jim (cough, spit). But he's right, the local press has to side with the readership, it's got to get involved with the local passion, even to the extent of alienating a business (a hated one I might add).

If they don't, then they're on the way out.

Well, seeing that I made the original post, and seeing that I've been asking the LT to get more involved, I might as well have my say.

It comes across to me, as a reasonable reflection of the last 12 months. I think Cryer had both sets of fans, [the vehemently anti Venky's and the support your club at all costs fans], in mind when he wrote it. He's trying to suit all fans and that makes it a "soft" article. It lacks punch. He might as well have written a monthly diary.

The LT of years gone by, would have got their message across in no uncertain terms. They would have made their judgement of the way the club was heading - and would have said exactly what they thought, they would have been quite blunt - just as local newspapers covering other footballing areas do today. The article seems to be attempting to cover the situation, but at the same time trying to cover their backs from any fan criticism.

So while it's an interesting article, it isn't what I would have wanted from the LT.

I wonder how Peter White would have handled the present situation. He would have given Venkys hell.

Archived