BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] STOKE away

Perhaps more of a statement than a question, but Kean was asked: "That's 0.8 points per game, on this form, you'll surely be relegated?"

He replied: "I disagree with that."

Did he honestly say that? What an absolute flid.

25 games left, means 20 more points to add to the 7 we already have.

He thinks we can stay up with 27 points.

I think he's spouted crap for so long he believes it now. This is insane.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kean has 6 wins and 11 draws in 34 games, that would equal 29 points and even by winning the "final" four games he could get a maximum of 41 points, which is barely enough to stay afloat in the league.

Also, his positive spins on everything means he doesn't aknowledge that we are in serious threat of getting relegated. Teams and managers thinking they are too good to go down usually do - look at West Ham and the team they had on paper when Carrick, J. Cole etc. was there.

What is truly horrific is that Kean's form for this season (as opposed to last) is 7 points in 13 matches or .538 points per game. On this form, with over 1/3 the season gone, we are on pace for a 20 point season.

The main difference between Kean's form this season and last is that key players last year are not present, specifically PJ, JJ and Emerton. They've been replaced and Steve Kean's performance in the summer transfer market has been woeful (Yak and Rochina being exceptions).

I agree Steve, but he also needs to realise that Givet is a central defender and that Grant Hanley is, at best, a reserve level player. I want Kean out, and I want Venky's out, but he doesn't have the best squad to choose from. We can field a fairly strong starting XI but as soon as we suffer a couple of injuries I get nervous just by looking at the team sheet.

Steve Kean has to stick to his word though, and has to teach his team how to defend. Put emphasis on defending and on attacking set pieces - back to basics. Perhaps we could try playing 5-4-1 with Samba, Dann and Givet in the middle and Lowe and Olsson at full back. A midfield trio consisting of MGP, N'Zonzi (enforcer) and Hoilett (roaming role) with Yak upfront.

I agree Steve, but he also needs to realise that Givet is a central defender and that Grant Hanley is, at best, a reserve level player. I want Kean out, and I want Venky's out, but he doesn't have the best squad to choose from. We can field a fairly strong starting XI but as soon as we suffer a couple of injuries I get nervous just by looking at the team sheet.

Steve Kean has to stick to his word though, and has to teach his team how to defend. Put emphasis on defending and on attacking set pieces - back to basics. Perhaps we could try playing 5-4-1 with Samba, Dann and Givet in the middle and Lowe and Olsson at full back. A midfield trio consisting of MGP, N'Zonzi (enforcer) and Hoilett (roaming role) with Yak upfront.

It's just moving the deck chairs on the Titanic Torgeir, how many players have we got that are consistently Premiership standard ?

I reckon we've Samba, Givet as a centre half, Ollsen as a left sided midfielder, Hoilet and Yakubu maybe. I would have put Robbo in that but I think his form is suffering because of the pasting he's taking in goal. The rest are just not consistently up to the standard required, some play well for a game and then vanish next time out. No team can possibly survive with such a weak squad. Playing 5 at the back used to be popular but nobody plays that way now. The problem is that most teams play one up front especially away from home so your 3 centre halves are marking one striker, in the old days your 3 centre halves had 2 strikers to mark which was fair enough. The players the opposition have over in midfield would be murdering us. I agree the back 5 you mention would play to our strengths but what about the rest of the side. Maybe it's worth a run out in training or a behind closed doors friendly.

I think 5 in back might shore up the defense but would do so at the expense of our offense. It would likely increase the frequency that we accumulate draws, which are at least points. But at this time we are so far behind the eight ball that mere draws won't cover the gap. We need 3-4 wins just to catch up.

I think 5 in back might shore up the defense but would do so at the expense of our offense. It would likely increase the frequency that we accumulate draws, which are at least points. But at this time we are so far behind the eight ball that mere draws won't cover the gap. We need 3-4 wins just to catch up.

We arent going to outscore many teams, so the key is clean sheets. We've proven we can score by putting lots of players up field, then wonder why we are conceeding 2+ goals a game.

The Jones bros did an excellent job of sitting in front of our back 4 last season, but they havent been replaced, and we are increasing dependant on Nzonzi to do this. It isn't and will not work.

Defending should start from the front, Hoilett should have been brought to task for not pulling his weight, and he's not the only one.

Because of Keans signings though we dont really have anyone at the club to pay that 2nd defensive midfield role. Petrovic isnt good enough at this stage (and I dont think he's quick enough to come good), Dunn is past it, Grella isnt fit enough, so we are looking at Pederson who's done ok but it isnt his position, or a CH moving forwards - but we have too many injuries at present to do this, plus they arent proven in midfield either.

True. He is a great manager, but if you can't get that West Ham side promoted with all that talent in there, then you may as well pack it in. Miles above most teams in that league.

Bolton weren't miles above the rest when he brought them up. In fact Allardyce is imo the best in the business with little money. Doing well with Billy big timers though is exactly what he needs on his cv for the England job. ;)

It's just moving the deck chairs on the Titanic Torgeir, how many players have we got that are consistently Premiership standard ?

I reckon we've Samba, Givet as a centre half, Ollsen as a left sided midfielder, Hoilet and Yakubu maybe. I would have put Robbo in that but I think his form is suffering because of the pasting he's taking in goal. The rest are just not consistently up to the standard required, some play well for a game and then vanish next time out. No team can possibly survive with such a weak squad. Playing 5 at the back used to be popular but nobody plays that way now. The problem is that most teams play one up front especially away from home so your 3 centre halves are marking one striker, in the old days your 3 centre halves had 2 strikers to mark which was fair enough. The players the opposition have over in midfield would be murdering us. I agree the back 5 you mention would play to our strengths but what about the rest of the side. Maybe it's worth a run out in training or a behind closed doors friendly.

We could give Olsson and Lowe the licence to attack, as well as press higher up on the pitch. But we are getting battered right now, and if the players don't believe we'll keep a clean sheet for a second then I doubt they'll believe they'll be winning many games either. If we can keep one our two clean sheets by really focusing on that area of our play then perhaps we could snatch a lucky pen or dead ball goal to win us a game. As we're currently playing I don't see us not conceding at least two goals against any team in the PL.

It's only a suggestion as to what Steve Kean could do. A proper manager would likely be able to shore things up in a different way, but it would perhaps show the lads the importance of defending as a unit. It was evident against Stoke that we have no confidence on the ball, and because of that our movement is virtually non-existent and poor. Defensively we're a nightmare to watch and look like conceding any moment. I know we're in trouble, just trying to lighten myself up a little by speculating whether there is anything we can actually do.

:brfc:

Excellent stuff, the press are FINALLY cottoning on to the fool.

We should start a thread for links to honest reporting like this. Enough of these in the Nationals and the gormless Venkeymob would be forced to take notice and action ...... that is unless the allegations of "EWOOD THE TRUTH" are indeed the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. :huh:

Gone up in my estimations after those comments :tu:

EHD never went down in my estimation. Good player, good out for the defence and popular with players and (most) fans alike. He was stitched up by Dastardly and Muttley to rid them of a severe critic and to make room for Rochina and a Fistful of Dollars that apparently gave Joan a fit of the vapours.

I note that Kean is saying that the game could have been very different had Formica not missed that sitter after Rochina's great work and back-heel. As if we wouldn't have lost anyway!

What happened to all that stuff like "I'm happy to take the flak and protect my players guff?"

Cowardly to put the heat on Formica when we conceded three. Will do anything,say anything and use anyone to protect himself.

Archived