BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ryan Nelsen

Mercer

Upset that we won't even be able to say farewell to the bloke!

He certainly gave me some fantastic memories the way he flew into tackles and led by example.

One that sticks out in my mind is a cruncher that got us kick-started in the game against Burnley the other year.

You will be missed Ryan!

here, here.

top man. his wine is a great drop too! ;)

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were talking about Nelsen just last Sunday in the local. My mate said he thought he was still injured and actually recuperating in NZ and providing moral support to the earthquake recovery. I scoffed and suggested it had all gone too quiet and that he must have finally had enough of Kean and fallen out with him.

Must be a gift I have. :rolleyes:

How meaningful is this interview 13 months on? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/9283627.stm

The cracks formed by his interview must have become a deep rift after the events at HT v Blackpool and especially in light of the current cull on high wage earners.

Make no mistake his best days are behind him but imo this departure is more to do with personalities, control, money and even revenge than his ability to contribute to our relegation battle both on the pitch and within the squad. In terms of integrity surely Ryan Nelsen is worth many times the combined total of Dastardly, Muttley and the Slumdog millionaire owners in Pune.

Oh btw... Nice one Brad. ;)

Nelsen, Andrew & Roberts offer us very little nowadays. Andrews is Championship standard, Roberts too and Nelsen has been slowing down for the last 2 years and also picking up more and more injuries.

Just look at what exactly they have offered us this season - very little.

Nelsen is also now probably seen as our 5th choice centre back behind Givet, Samba, Dann & Hanley.

One of your best yet Hughesy. That Redknapp bloke is useless, knows nothing about the game, afterall his team are only just able to keep up with Utd and City when if he was any good they should have won the league by November.

I realise you think Nelsen is, quote "dogsh!t" but at least show some common sense in the face of facts.

They are all on big money, and they would all need to be shifted on IF we went down....I think its good financial planning.

That's true but the better financial plan would be to play your better players to avoid relegation rather than sideline them for expressing opinions the owners/manager don't like.

Whilst its annoying that Wolves have got Bassong on the back of this deal, Nelsen, Andrew & Roberts offer us very little nowadays. Andrews is Championship standard, Roberts too and Nelsen has been slowing down for the last 2 years and also picking up more and more injuries.

Just look at what exactly they have offered us this season - very little.

Nelsen is also now probably seen as our 5th choice centre back behind Givet, Samba, Dann & Hanley.

They are all on big money, and they would all need to be shifted on IF we went down....I think its good financial planning.

Just a shame nobody wants Grella.

Yep

+1

Sad to see you go Ryan, but if its time, so be it. Thanks for the years, and all the best. You're better off away from Kean anyway. Good Luck.

....but will he play for the Rovers.....

It seems my thoughts were indeed true.

A sad day, It seems the wrong people are being forced out.

Not the most gifted, but someone who put his heart and soul into BRFC.

When Kean and Venkys are long gone Ryan, you will be remembered.

If, by some chance you read this, pm me. When you next make it to Aus, look me up, I'd love to buy you a beer.

Great bloke.

Ryan Nelsen is a 100x more professional than Kean and our owners.

He had character and will be missed.

Sad to see him go, a proper player who on his day was as good a centre half as anybody playing in the premier league now. I remember when we got a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford, one of the best defending performances I have ever seen.

Sad to see him go, a proper player who on his day was as good a centre half as anybody playing in the premier league now. I remember when we got a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford, one of the best defending performances I have ever seen.

Was that the time he sprinted back half the length of the pitch and completely take out Ronaldo (and the ball of course)? Always remember that tackle.

can anybody explain why said players, past their best were to a man given fat new contracts just a year ago and are now hurried out the door and/or removed from the first team squad?

My view of it would be - They have been 'USED' by getting a new deal, to get them on Keans side and help him settle.

The reason they are now going is because they are simply no longer good enough....Have any of them also spoken out against Kean? Possibly....but where's the proof?

Paul - you bang on about Harry being no mug, spot on he isnt, exactly why he has only given Nelsen a 6 month contract......Why offer him such a short contract if he has such faith in his old legs? Simple, he doesnt have faith, he's a short term fix, he's 35 this year!

Say what you want but the fact remains that Nelsen has only played in 1 league game this season and then hasnt played due to Injury since.

My view of it would be - They have been 'USED' by getting a new deal, to get them on Keans side and help him settle.

The reason they are now going is because they are simply no longer good enough....Have any of them also spoken out against Kean? Possibly....but where's the proof?

Paul - you bang on about Harry being no mug, spot on he isnt, exactly why he has only given Nelsen a 6 month contract......Why offer him such a short contract if he has such faith in his old legs? Simple, he doesnt have faith, he's a short term fix, he's 35 this year!

Say what you want but the fact remains that Nelsen has only played in 1 league game this season and then hasnt played due to Injury since.

You are wrong. No one in the bottom 3 should give away a player of Nelsen's age and experience. Not only for his value on the pitch but for his calming and mature influence over the squad. Problem is that football and relegation matters are some way down the agenda at Ewood park these days. Finance and assorted swindles being the prioritised and squabbled over by those who are in positions of power.

Can't ay I disagree with you Hughesy, Salgado, Roberts, Nelsen all past their prime, ergo those contracts were absolutely ridiculous.

No wonder the place was 'bouncing' last January.

The only one im slightly suprised with is Dunn, however his new contract does take him into coaching and keep a Blackburn connection with the club. He is also the only 1 who is still among the first 11 so you can say he has kind of done more to earn a new deal.

Salgado - unless someone in a different transfer window wants him, like Russia then id keep him amongst the first team squad and use him as a sub, and let him play up to 8 of his 9 games allowed.

Grella - just keep collecting his insurance money, he's finished and MUST go in the summer once his deal is up.

Surprised by this one and disappointed, a consummate leader lost when we need as many of them as possible. He may not have been that quick but his reading of the game was always strong, at the end of the day 6 month contract or not it is still felt that Nelsen can bring something to the pitch to a team chasing the title. Not good enough, to expensive or too slow for a relegation fodder team but good enough for 3rd place spuds.

Would have liked to say goodbye, even Brett got that dignity.

Let's hope that when the shysters have been forced out, Nelsen will be back as manager. He was the truest captain we've had for years. Thank you Admiral!

I would have liked to see him stay at the club for years and work his way up to manager too.

Maybe that's why he had to go! I don't really believe that, I think its the bank demanding the wage bill goes down but you never know in the poison that is Ewood these days.

Not content with tearing out the fabric of the club, Venkys/Kean are now destroying the club's soul.

You're better off away from Kean anyway.

That could be said for Blackburn Rovers as a club as well...

Really sad to see Ryan leave, could have used his experience in a relegation battle. A true legend. Hope he gets a nice tribute from the fans next home game, even though he won't be there himself to see it.

To be quite honest Hughesy your views on players and Rovers have become so blinkered as to be worthless. If Redknapp thinks he's worth 6 months as Spurs chase the title I'm certain he'd be worth six months at Rovers as we battle to avoid relegation and possible oblivion. So what if he's off the wage bill - relegation will cost us £25m in the first season. So perhaps £500,000 for six months on Nelsen or £25m loss of revenue next season

Good financial planning? Eh?

Shambolic end to a fine Rovers career.

Just can't take much more of this. Our owners just don't give a flying one. We might as well be talking about abbatoir operatives here, rather than heroes of a town.

I've just had my fill of Venky's, when will they pack up and go?

Archived