BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v. Newcastle Preview - February 1, 2012

Well, it's the first game of February, and Rovers again do battle with their neighbors to the far north, Newcastle.

Rovers have won 2, lost 2, drawn 2 in our last six. Newcastle have won 3, lost 3 over the same period.

Newcastle will no doubt be buoyed by the return of Demba Ba and the arrival of Papiss Demba Cisse from their recent unimpressive showing at the African Cup of Nations.

Rovers have aquired Anthony Modeste, who looked decent in his debut, but have lost Jason Roberts. I would like to take a moment to thank Roberts for his service to the club - while he was probably never *quite* good enough for the Premier League by the time he joined Rovers, the club has rarely had a better person on its rolls.

In the last Premier League meeting between the two clubs in September at St. James' Park, Demba Ba decided to announce his arrival at Newcastle with a rather impressive hat trick. Since then, Newcastle has been hit with a rather significant injury crisis in defence, and have since had an odd run of it. They let Norwich score 4 on them, lost to a rather schizophrenic Liverpool side, and then managed to put 3 past Manchester United. They'll be hoping Cisse slots in quickly to keep them pushing for Europe. Rovers seem to have settled in a little bit as well since the last time the two teams met. Kean has shown glimpses of tactical acumen, and his substitutions have been getting better as well. Hope springs eternal that trend will continue. Blackburn are also in dire need of a win to get back out of relegation. Newcastle need this if they have any hope of keeping a European place against the hard chargers below them.

In terms of the most recent common opponents between the two:

Fulham 5 - 2 Newcastle

Blackburn 3 - 1 Fulham

Newcastle 3 - 0 Manchester United

Manchester United 2 - 3 Blackburn

Liverpool 3 - 1 Newcastle

Liverpool 1 - 1 Blackburn

Blackburn are 2-0-1 against that set, Newcastle 1-1-1, so the edge may go to Blackburn a bit.

Rovers' biggest concerns in this game, as with every fixture we have, will be the unsettled defense. Demba Ba torched Blackburn the last time through, and if Cisse starts, he'll provide a good partner. Were I Kean I would throw the kitchen sink at Newcastle to try to get up early, and then keep the pressure on. Newcastle have looked most vulnerable when they're off balance and forced to come from behind. Newcastle will be hoping to score early and often, given Rovers' much publicized clean sheet drought. I think the first 20 minutes of this game should be very exciting.

However this game goes, it's unlikely to be boring. If you're into such things, I'd wager on at least 3 goals being scored during the contest.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However this game goes, it's unlikely to be boring. If you're into such things, I'd wager on at least 3 goals being scored during the contest.

And I, who never gamble [other than my weekly £5 donation to the National Lottery], would wager on the majority of them going past Robbo. Unfortunately. :angry2:

Newcastle will certainly be without the very influential Tiote. Given their loss in the FA Cup, Pardew will be looking for a big reaction and I'd be amazed if Ba doesn't start with Cisse on the bench.

Problem is that we will also be missing our 2 most influential players from this season (Yak suspended & Samba unavailable whether still here or not).

At best, I can only see a draw.

The start will be key.

who will samba be playing for?

nufcsite Nufc Site

According to @TransferNewsCen #nufc officials down south trying to tie up a deal ( 5.5) for Samba

ha ha..Can you imagine the reception for Samba at Ewood if that all goes through in the next 48hours and he suddenly recovers from his 'illness' and takes the field for Newcastle ?

Once again, I'm coming to Ewood with a few friends all the way from Holland to watch this one, so I expect nothing less than a three-pointer for Rovers. Ba might be in the squad, but don't forget he's coming all the way from the south of Africa, from + 25 to -2 will be quite an adjustment and if he gets an early knock by Givet, Dann or Hanley, we just might be lucky that he'll have a quite match. Next to that, I think we can be quite confident after the recent results and with Junior in good form and a bit of luck in defence, I think we actually are capable of winning this one. I hope for a goal-bonanza, 4-3 would be excellent.

See y'all this Wednesday!

Even if Samba signed for the magpies there is not a hells chance he will feature versus Rovers, it simply wouldnt happen.

I am not sure about this game and the outcome. Rovers havent had a game whereas the bar codes have been to Tenerife, got lashed then they went to Brighton and got lashed. Now they come to Ewood and will they be as charitable ?

Its going to be a long cold night in the icelands of Blackburn.

Personally I think the best Rovers will get is a 1-1 draw. Hope I am wrong and we win 2-1.

Feeling reasonably good about this one. Newcastle look a bit more rocky than they did a few weeks back, plus should still be without Ba and Cisse thank god. Rovers looked decent in every department against Everton apart from cutting edge, so the lineup is a shoo-in to be identical barring any injuries. I hope we can have a similarly excellent performance.

Rochina, Modeste and Vukcevic (I am still totally bemused about why we have not seen this guy more) to come on to freshen things up if needs be.

i will be there on wednesday but i can only forsee a rovers defeat, rovers 0 newcastle 2, normal service resumed!!!

Normal service resumed from you more like. We are the sixth top scorers in the league so how do you work out a blank against Newcastle? Rovers are in decent form, Newcastle not so much so. A repeat of the Fulham/Everton performances should ensure three points.

oh right yes, its that simple, never mind the fact that newcastle are better than both everton and fulham, take off your blinkered spectacles!!!

Hmm, they should be missing Ba, Tiote, Cabaye - their three best players this season, plus Cisse is still not available. They got thashed by Fulham, lost to Brighton. We ran them close in the FA cup at St James when they did have Cabaye available. Not saying we will definately beat them but we obviously stand a chance if you look at it objectively rather than solely aiming to douse yourself in self pity.

Hmm, they should be missing Ba, Tiote, Cabaye - their three best players this season, plus Cisse is still not available. They got thashed by Fulham, lost to Brighton. We ran them close in the FA cup at St James when they did have Cabaye available. Not saying we will definately beat them but we obviously stand a chance if you look at it objectively rather than solely aiming to douse yourself in self pity.

well said joey get down to ewood on wed night and get behind the lads our club needs the support come on you blues

Reckon this one will be decided by which team has the strategy right to cope with the opposition's wingers. Ben Arfa is one of those players that always seems to up their game against us

Ben Arfa will probably be on the bench, he doesn't fit the 4-4-2 formation that Pardew likes.

Bit of a weird statement though...how many times has he played against us? He's only played 16 games for Newcastle so it can't be many...

Archived