BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ian Battersby and Ian Currie

I would also like to correct the fact that to date IB has had no communication from Venkys despite trying consistently

Thanks for the update. I believe you are a long time friend of Ian B - have you spoken to him recently? Kamy said in the podcast that he spoke to ian last week and implied Ian had had some success in communicating with venkys but couldn't say anymore than that. Can you shed any light on this?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not actually watched the podcast, but read through many of the replies regarding.

I have to say it dismays me somewhat at the fair amount of negativity of his 'plan'.

I think most/all would agree it would have been hard to find much worse owners than Venkys, but what is done is done.

What Ian appears to be doing is setting his/the stall out in preparation for as and when Venkys are open to dialogue for selling on.

He is obviously not a mega rich man so he needs 'investment', that does not happen overnight. This though is his expertise and I am sure that if anyone can he can.

Some are questioning: 1) why should he, 2) can he, 3) can we trust him, 4) why didn't he some years ago.

Ans; 1) He's a Rovers supporter in a position to do it. 2) He's got the expertise and contacts. 3) See 1 4) Back then the vision was for a mega rich JW II to move us to the next level (Venkys came along and claimed they were.) Now its a case of its gone sour and we need a 'rescue mission'.

In the circles that Ian moves in and with the size of the project (in money terms) you do your business without stamping around and making statements and claims (unlike Venkys).

Ian and Co. would bring the sensible prudent approach to the day to day running of BRFC (as it was under John Williams). And it would be clear and above board of our realistic targets. This may well be in the Champs, with an aspiration and target to go for automatic spot year upon year.

We've been there before so it's not unknown territory.

I am sure that Ian would say this is not going to be a walk in the park, but at least we would be back to honesty not cloak and daggers.

Thanks for the update. I believe you are a long time friend of Ian B - have you spoken to him recently? Kamy said in the podcast that he spoke to ian last week and implied Ian had had some success in communicating with venkys but couldn't say anymore than that. Can you shed any light on this?

I know from Ian Curries connections that kamys claim is spot on. Battersby was asked by the Venkys to email them last week which he did in depth and got no response.So he has again emailed Mrs Desai this week and as yet -surprise , surprise -there is no reply.

What these clowns are doing in Pune god only knows but my info would be reliable on this occasion!! I also think there is alot of planning going on behind the scenes in case there is a chance to strike and like the above post says i don't think operators like the 2 Ians would be outlining their intentions on a messageboard .Battersby was also quoted a few times in the Graham Jones speech about the Premier league not getting stuck in so whilst i personally could not say what is happening i do believe there is something afoot and that gives me some hope that its not going into oblivion without a scrap.

I am a long time friend of Ians and I have spoken to him today. That said, I am not his spokesperson and I am certain that he will post comments himself through the relevant channels should he consider it appropriate to do so. I am sure he won't mind me mentioning that he has not had any contact from Venkys despite repeated requests.

I also find it ridiculous regarding the comments of 'why didn't you do something before Venkys then?'

The simplistic answer is that was then and this is now. Now is for love and an attempt to safeguard our heritage and future of BRFC. The only dividend I see is future generations enjoying what we and past generations have. It's a roller coaster and hopefully long may it continue.

We Are The Rovers,!!

Get behind the lads v QPR and get to City!

Well you obviously know more about them than me but it all seems like more silence from India

Has Battersby said what his meeting with Paul hunt at the Newcastle match was all about?there was something kicking off at that game because people who go on a table near him told me Hunt was all over him and he didn't go to his seat till 20 minutes after it started

Well you obviously know more about them than me but it all seems like more silence from India

Has Battersby said what his meeting with Paul hunt at the Newcastle match was all about?there was something kicking off at that game because people who go on a table near him told me Hunt was all over him and he didn't go to his seat till 20 minutes after it started

I believe kick off was at 8pm. Was there a meeting, no. I find it offensive that you refer to Ian as Battersby by the way. Do you have an axe to grind? Your tone says you may do.

If you know IB you will know he is as blue and White as they come. Others, Hunts included couldn't give a toss. Where are you sat in the overall equation?

I think that's a little harsh, darren. He doesn't know Ian Battersby personally, he has no reason to call him by his first name. Especially when there are apparently two Ians involved. I can scarce recall anyone calling John Williams 'John', and he was a cult figure of sorts. It was always John Williams, Williams, or JW.

I think that's a little harsh, darren. He doesn't know Ian Battersby personally, he has no reason to call him by his first name. Especially when there are apparently two Ians involved. I can scarce recall anyone calling John Williams 'John', and he was a cult figure of sorts. It was always John Williams, Williams, or JW.

Fair point, I apologise.

I just get frustrated because in the current climate within the sphere of Premier League football it is automatically assumed that everyone must have a financial ulterior motive for their actions.

Knowing both the Ians as I do, they are no mugs but their sole motives are the same as all true Rovers fans: love and heritage and future.

Darren

i have no axe to grind whatsoever and if you read my posts you will see that i am living in hope that the 2 Ians get us out of this massive hole.All i am trying to do is get some idea of exactly what they are up to not because i am suspicious but because they seem like the men most likely to sort this.Thats complete nosey parker material on my part as like evryone else we get no proper info from any one and it seemed like you were closer than most people to at least one of the Ians.

I am slightly confused though when you said he didn't meet paul Hunt last week at the Newcastle game because that deffo happened.People saw Hunt keep coming to Ian s table in Prem suite and the they disappeared together 20 mins before kick off and IB (is that acceptable??)only got to his seat 20 minutes into the game. I wasn't asking if it happened i was asking WHAT happened-or at least did you know what happened.

I was just hoping something might have been happening behind the scenes-but no way do i have an axe to grind.Like everyone else just desperate to see our club saved from the armageddon

We should do all we can to support the two Ians, the owners are the real problem as we all know. To shift them out will be difficult due to our

underlying financial problems which have now been established. These people have a sound financial background by all accounts plus they are also

attending fans, they must be our best chance by a mile to improve our current situation and should be encouraged hugely by us all. We should not

expect them to conduct business on this or any other forum, they are experienced business people working behind the scenes hopefully putting a deal

together to get rid of the Raos.

Yet again you're straying from the point;

There is no JW II going to come to our aid over the horizon, and even if there was he would have to be JW II+ as the marker has gone up many notches since then.

You could wish for a foreign investor with a portfolio of billions, but thats where Venkys came in!!!

Ian is a Blue, he is very experienced in finance, he is well connected, I do not see (in our situation) how it could be better than this.

As I say, people keep asking (ridiculous) questions. Just accept Ian/they are working on it in the background which is perfectly normal practice. And, when the time is right and Venkys or Barclays step forward they will have a plan/bid in place to hopefully wrestle control.

Yet again you're straying from the point;

There is no JW II going to come to our aid over the horizon, and even if there was he would have to be JW II+ as the marker has gone up many notches since then.

You could wish for a foreign investor with a portfolio of billions, but thats where Venkys came in!!!

Ian is a Blue, he is very experienced in finance, he is well connected, I do not see (in our situation) how it could be better than this.

As I say, people keep asking (ridiculous) questions. Just accept Ian/they are working on it in the background which is perfectly normal practice. And, when the time is right and Venkys or Barclays step forward they will have a plan/bid in place to hopefully wrestle control.

By the way, don't know Paul Hunt (or all the others Venkys have brought in), but my guess would be that PH is seeing Ian etc. as very capable and his possible 'next' boss. So just maybe, this is 'sucking up'.

Alternatively, Ian has PH in his radar and is utilising him to our advantage.

There we go again with speculation!

Just trust that either way, it will be with a mind to do what's best for BRFC.

That'll do for me. I don't want to know the in's and out's. Not my business. They meet my criteria:

1. They are Rovers fans

2. Will have the best interests of the club at heart

Everything else will come out in the wash when they have bought the club. Proof of the pudding and all that.

We didn't have Jack Walker making his intentions to buy the club public, he just got on with it quietly in the background. Surely this is the way it should be done and everyone's preference. As you say we don't want to highlight the fact that the club is available, should it become available, to all and sundry. Otherwise we have the potential to do another Pompey and a revolving door on crap owners. Hopefully The Ians will have their ducks in a row (I hate that expression) with Barclays and be able to get a deal done and dusted in a relatively short space of time should Pune make the right decision for everyone and clear off.

So....if we have 2 interested buyers...Curry/Battersby or the Qataris....which would you prefer?

I don't think we do though do we?

I'd take The Ians - along with the Qatari's bottomless pit of free money. The Qatari's can leave them to get on with it (or put the right people in place) and enjoy the ride. Or am I just being greedy?

So....if we have 2 interested buyers...Curry/Battersby or the Qataris....which would you prefer?

There is not two interested buyers. Qatar moved on ages ago. Though it is also a question of who you believe on their interest in the first place. some folk say their interest went to Mrs D, others say it was just low level people talking to low level people. ( I know who I believe, but I will keep that to myself) Either way, they have gone and are looking elsewhere.

I would rather local supporters, such as the two Ian's run the club. Though with imput from supporters. Every single club should have supporters imput into the club. I agree with what was said in westmeinster about supporters trusts. Sadly it appears the Rovers supporters trust, is so slow, it is going backwards.

There is not two interested buyers. Qatar moved on ages ago. Though it is also a question of who you believe on their interest in the first place. some folk say their interest went to Mrs D, others say it was just low level people talking to low level people. ( I know who I believe, but I will keep that to myself) Either way, they have gone and are looking elsewhere.

I would rather local supporters, such as the two Ian's run the club. Though with imput from supporters. Every single club should have supporters imput into the club. I agree with what was said in westmeinster about supporters trusts. Sadly it appears the Rovers supporters trust, is so slow, it is going backwards.

Yes, but if we were to be publicly put up for sale today with a relatively good chance of survivial(only just) with the right manager, don't you think there would be more than our two friends interested in bidding for the club? The best thing for the club probably would be the two Ian's.....but how many things have the venkys done in the best interests of the club?

Curry / Battersby. Whilst they might not have the financial clout of the Qatari's, I will once again be proud of supporting the club again, and a sense of belonging will be brought back to it. It will be our club again.

I've had enough of foreign ownership.

And just what then is stopping us from doing something positive about our current situation and organizing a supporters' bid to either team with or independently make a bid for the club? Just the lack of willingness to take positive action? We are all protesting and not going to matches and promising not to put another penny into Venoys pockets. Why not use all that boycotted money to take back the club that should be ours?

Archived