BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] John Terry - thoughts?

As many of you know, I have been conducting research on the latest incidents of racism in football and whether this is a new phase or has been present for a number of years. Today (Friday) John Terry has been removed as captain of England ahead of his court appearance in July. I'm interested to know what you think of this and whether Terry should go to the European Championships. I've set up a 3-question survey that will take you less than a minute to complete - just go to: http://www.topfan.co.uk

Thanks in advance.

I thought it was a good move by the FA/by Fabio.

I'm always proud to support England during major tournaments, but I don't want this bigoted idiot being the captain and figurehead of the team.

I want to know why we can have racists in the squad but not captaining it. If the FA are going to remove him as captain then why the hell are they allowing him to be selected. We'll take the moral high ground but not at the expense of success. Let's all give the FA a clap for their upstanding morals.

I want to know why we can have racists in the squad but not captaining it. If the FA are going to remove him as captain then why the hell are they allowing him to be selected. We'll take the moral high ground but not at the expense of success. Let's all give the FA a clap for their upstanding morals.

By allowing his selection, they are showing they are not prejudging the case. However, the captain's role requires a lot of meetings, functions etc and to do those with a court case hanging over him brings pressure we don't want or need before a major tournament. Presumably the FA have delayed taking any action till the date of his trial was known but now they need to take action if they are going to do so as the trial will not be until after the tournament and we need our captain to be able to focus in the build up. And do I think he's guilty. Having met him when he was an under 21 player I found his arrogance, even then, horrible so it wouldn't surprise me, but I'm open to persuaion that he's not.

I agree. He's been pretty average at cb this season for Chelsea. Added to that the racism charge (and the fact he has a history of being stripped of the captaincy) I see no reason to select him. Its time for the next generation.

I thought it was a good move by the FA/by Fabio.

I'm always proud to support England during major tournaments, but I don't want this bigoted idiot being the captain and figurehead of the team.

What happened to 'Innocent until proven guilty'?

I've said before that it should have been sorted by a handshake after 90 mins BUT I'd not take him to the euro's. Not because of the Ferdinand issue but because he isn't that good anymore and like number of others he thinks that he is better than he is and that England can't do without him.

Everybody knows terry is a major chavvy scrote who is way past his best, additionally he was a major embarrassment/nuisance at the World Cup so for me he wouldn't be going anyway, but I agree with the innocent until proven guilty premise of our legal system...Steve Kean on the other hand should be shot on sight.

Captain's important, Team is way more important, get the team right, the Captain's position will take care of itself!

The press has to report things but this is another case of the importance of this story being exaggerated just like it was 2 years ago.

Assault and affray, leg less at Heathrow, Vanessa Perroncel, private viewings of Chelsea training ground, now charged with racism.

Nothing sticks to Terry, he seems a rather unpleasant individual. The FA action is not unusual iwhen one simply looks at this as a trial and ignores the specific charge.

Chris Huhne anyone?

Assault and affray, leg less at Heathrow, Vanessa Perroncel, private viewings of Chelsea training ground, now charged with racism.

Nothing sticks to Terry, he seems a rather unpleasant individual. The FA action is not unusual iwhen one simply looks at this as a trial and ignores the specific charge.

Chris Huhne anyone?

Spot on Paul, he should never have been given the captaincy back after the Bridge saga, as you say, a rather unpleasant individual.

Blown out of all proportion,we have ALL at some time said things in the heat of the moment that we have regretted later...nothing but a witch hunt by the Media looking to over sensationlise an incident,a high profile individual who is being made an example of.

That said,Terry would have been better just owning up,shaking hands and apologising giving the owerwhelming evidence.

MOVE ON!

Blown out of all proportion,we have ALL at some time said things in the heat of the moment that we have regretted later...nothing but a witch hunt by the Media looking to over sensationlise an incident,a high profile individual who is being made an example of.

That said,Terry would have been better just owning up,shaking hands and apologising giving the owerwhelming evidence.

MOVE ON!

This isn't something he could get out of with a handshake and an apology though is it? Wasn't it reported not by Ferdinand but by a member of the public, which is why there was police involvement? Unlike suarez where it was player v player so he just got a match ban

MOVE ON!

I'm not having that SG, in the heat of the moment you do say things that are out of order I agree, but I bet 99% of people on here wouldn't use racist language, it’s just not in most people’s nature.

I also disagree that its a witch hunt, this sort of things has far too often been swept under the table, its about time the authorities acted on such incidents, they're not as rare as you might think.

What should he do then Gumboots? commit Seppuku in the centre circle of Stamford bridge before a baying crowd?

I'm sorry Gav but he is being made an example of because of who he is hence his stripping of the England captaincy,its as clear as daylight.You say that 99% of people dont use that language/never used that language?.....mmmmmm they probably wouldn't admit to it mate lets be brutally honest!

I do not condone racism of any sort and like I say Terry is clearly in the wrong here but I really,really hate the baying,self-righteous brigade of the media whores who just know this story will sell papers.

What should he do then Gumboots? commit Seppuku in the centre circle of Stamford bridge before a baying crowd?

I'm sorry Gav but he is being made an example of because of who he is hence his stripping of the England captaincy,its as clear as daylight.You say that 99% of people dont use that language/never used that language?.....mmmmmm they probably wouldn't admit to it mate lets be brutally honest!

I do not condone racism of any sort and like I say Terry is clearly in the wrong here but I really,really hate the baying,self-righteous brigade of the media whores who just know this story will sell papers.

hang on! where did I suggest he should do anything other than go to court and let the law take its course. There was no suggestion he could do anything else. What I meant was, the issue could not be closed by a handshake because once the bystander reported it to the police then there has to be an official enquiry into the complaint and the whole thing is out of the hands of the FA who would probably have been quite happy for Terry to say sorry mate - no hard feelings, it's a fair cop and I'll take the ban. I dislike the guy on a brief meeting and because of his actions in the past, but this doesn't mean I want him lynched or anything. I was screaming at the TV yesterday when the incresingly odious Jim White was trying to wind the situation up by making out fans were outraged etc whereas the truth is that most of us know Terry is past it as a player, has never really been England captain material and is one of the problems with the whole england setup which makes it very hard for any manager to come in and really stamp his authority on the team. Most of us aren't outraged the FA have taken the captaincy from him - most of us don't understand why he was ever given it back after last time.

I'm not having that SG, in the heat of the moment you do say things that are out of order I agree, but I bet 99% of people on here wouldn't use racist language, it’s just not in most people’s nature.

I also disagree that its a witch hunt, this sort of things has far too often been swept under the table, its about time the authorities acted on such incidents, they're not as rare as you might think.

This is how I look at it.

When you play football against someone and it gets a little bit heated you will say anything to wind your opponent up! I have said things, or had things said to me that were below the belt but you just get on with it, and as mentioned above, shake hands at the end.

What is the difference in calling someone a fat c**t rather than a black c**t? Racism is blown completely out of proportion compared to other things said on football field. You can guarantee Anton Ferdinand would not have given two hoots about what Terry said to him that day. How many times do you think people have said something to Lescott or Tevez about their scars? Odds are they will be far more insecure of that than Ferdinand will be about being half cast.

How many times do you think John O'Shea or MGP will have been called a f****g poof?

Are you familiar with the phrase 'sticks and stones' GAV?

For some unknown reason, within our society, racism is considered worse than homophobia, sexism, ageism and all other ism's that you can think of. Why is that? Anton Ferdinand has not been affected in any way, shape or form by this whole palava. I would slso point out that had it been the other way round, Terry would probably have laughed at the comment and nothing would ever have been made of it.

Trust me there are far worse cases of racism taking place within this country every day. The only reason this has gone so far is because of the media wanting to sell papers.

Archived