BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Drinking

Out of interest I was wondering what sort of impact the current media blitz to reduce drinking levels is having on people? The BBC website for example must have half a dozen major articles regarding drinking today.

For me I have only vaguely been concerned about my level of drinking before - which is around three or four nights a week, two of which are what would be described as extremly heavy in the guidelines (6 pints or equivalent plus) - but the new campaign has made quite an impact on me. I am actively thinking of how to reduce consumption. That I've just turned 30 probably has amplified my concern.

In honesty what would people guess their weekely intake is?

For me I would say usually 15 pints of an average of about 4.5%. That works out as 38 units. And I guess at birthdays and major parties/occassions get into the mix - with spirits, tequila and whatnot - then it really gets out of control.

In my early-mid 20s I was similar to you, but now (at 31) I have one night per week where I'll either go out and drink ~7 pints, I'll or stay in and share a bottle of wine with my girlfriend. Other than that I'll have an occassional glass of red or scotch in front of the tv, but that is maybe once a week at most.

Birthdays, weddings, stag-dos and other special occassions don't count. They come under the "everything in moderation, especially moderation" rule.

I get pigged off with the do gooders continually telling me what I can do and what I can't do. The anti smoking lobby have won (although they are still not satisfied) and in doing so have effectively shut down half of the pubs and clubs in the UK and destroyed social life in the process. The landlords now can't make a living and we all sit at home around the telly with our booze from Tesco.

Now the miserable buggers want to stop us from doing that.

Believe me we won't live any longer but it will certainly feel like it.

I've greatly reduced my intake, and have been known to go through bouts of taking Milk Thistle, particularly after one blood test where my liver enzymes were rather on the high side (cough).

Can't stand hangovers now, they're so much worse than they used to be. I used to get hammered all the time at uni, definitely into 3 figures with the units.

So doing that just doesn't appeal any more. I'm down to about 5 or 6 cans of beer a week. (And it's nothing to do with a media "blitz").

I get pigged off with the do gooders continually telling me what I can do and what I can't do. The anti smoking lobby have won (although they are still not satisfied) and in doing so have effectively shut down half of the pubs and clubs in the UK and destroyed social life in the process. The landlords now can't make a living and we all sit at home around the telly with our booze from Tesco.

Now the miserable buggers want to stop us from doing that.

Believe me we won't live any longer but it will certainly feel like it.

Times have changed Al, and not for the better in my opinion.

Dropping into the local for a few pints, A games of darts or dominoes was one of the pleasures for the working man at the end of each day.

It all started to change when the landlords couldnt ban women from the tap room.

Blokes went down to the local to get away from the Mrs, then all of a sudden they wanted to go as well.

Now when you go out theres lads and lasses binge drinking and are hardly able to walk.

It's now larger, wine and alco pops. Heck I remember the landlord at the New Inn ranting, what do you think this is a cocktail bar, when someone asked for a Black and Tan.

Flag floors with sawdust have gone and replaced with theme pubs, wine bars with genuine antique reproduction beams, carpets, cousioned chairs, mirrored columns and microwaved bar meals.

Imagine going into a pub to find the landlord drying his longjohns on a clothes horse in front of the fire these days. Something that used to be a regular event up at the Britania :lol:

Times have changed Al, and not for the better in my opinion.

Dropping into the local for a few pints, A games of darts or dominoes was one of the pleasures for the working man at the end of each day.

It all started to change when the landlords couldnt ban women from the tap room.

Blokes went down to the local to get away from the Mrs, then all of a sudden they wanted to go as well.

Now when you go out theres lads and lasses binge drinking and are hardly able to walk.

It's now larger, wine and alco pops. Heck I remember the landlord at the New Inn ranting, what do you think this is a cocktail bar, when someone asked for a Black and Tan.

Flag floors with sawdust have gone and replaced with theme pubs, wine bars with genuine antique reproduction beams, carpets, cousioned chairs, mirrored columns and microwaved bar meals.

Imagine going into a pub to find the landlord drying his longjohns on a clothes horse in front of the fire these days. Something that used to be a regular event up at the Britania :lol:

The malaise is not just down to pubs closing Alan.

Most communities had a couple of schools, a couple of churches and a pub or two where the residents met regularly. Now the pubs are closed or quiet, the churches hold services in front of ever meagre congregations and kids are dropped off at school by their mums from a car. Fewer and fewer people talk regularly with their neighbours and many don't even know them. Kids who once played football on a patch of spare ground now pratt about on a playstation or the internet cos it's dangerous to let them play out with their friends.

Many changes have played a part, cheap supermarket booze, a million channels on the telly, breathalyser, massive mortgage repayments, IT etc.

The glue that once held the fabric of society together has in a very short time almost gone and imo it's certainly not for the better.

Most communities had a couple of schools, a couple of churches and a pub or two where the residents met regularly. Now the pubs are closed or quiet, the churches hold services in front of ever meagre congregations and kids are dropped off at school by their mums from a car. Fewer and fewer people talk regularly with their neighbours and many don't even know them. Kids who once played football on a patch of spare ground now pratt about on a playstation or the internet cos it's dangerous to let them play out with their friends.

Many changes have played a part, cheap supermarket booze, a million channels on the telly, breathalyser, massive mortgage repayments, IT etc.

The glue that once held the fabric of society together has in a very short time almost gone and imo it's certainly not for the better.

There is truth in what you say Gordon but the smoking ban co-incided with the huge drop in customers in pubs and clubs. The smokers stopped attending and then the non smokers found that their mates were no longer there and stopped going too.

It was a case of a group of do gooders imposing there will a step too far. Smokers were quite happy to have a separate room but that was not good enough. Now they are still whinging about smoking in the open air. Unbelievable! Have they not already done enough damage to society.

You've won and screwed up the pubs now give it a rest.

There is truth in what you say Gordon but the smoking ban co-incided with the huge drop in customers in pubs and clubs. The smokers stopped attending and then the non smokers found that their mates were no longer there and stopped going too.

It was a case of a group of do gooders imposing there will a step too far. Smokers were quite happy to have a separate room but that was not good enough. Now they are still whinging about smoking in the open air. Unbelievable! Have they not already done enough damage to society.

You've won and screwed up the pubs now give it a rest.

I play darts for local conny club, (have done for 30 yrs), and also play Crown Green bowls in summer. Smoking was 'essential' during a darts match, as is the swig of ale inbetween chucks. What I can't believe is that they banned smoking on the bowling green! They built a smoke shelter some distance away from the club house. We're outside for gods sake!!

I play darts for local conny club, (have done for 30 yrs), and also play Crown Green bowls in summer. Smoking was 'essential' during a darts match, as is the swig of ale inbetween chucks. What I can't believe is that they banned smoking on the bowling green! They built a smoke shelter some distance away from the club house. We're outside for gods sake!!

Yep. It's unbelievable isn't it. Out in the open air on a bowling green. It's just bloody mindedness and a wish to impose their will on others. It's backfiring big time. Time to repeal that stupid law only brought in to appease a pressure group, much like foxhunting.

Media has no impact on me.

Around 10 years ago I used to go out EVERY night without fail, and would easily be clearing over 100 units a week (Dont even know how I could afford it to be honest).

Now I very rarely drink. The only times I drink is if we go for a meal (couple of times a month), however im usually driving so only have 1...or Rovers games usually have 2-3 pints or any partys etc.

As for pub trade going downhill....its no suprise. If you went after work every day for 3 or 4 pints, it would set you back not far off £15 a night...that is too expensive.

I've greatly reduced my intake, and have been known to go through bouts of taking Milk Thistle, particularly after one blood test where my liver enzymes were rather on the high side (cough).

Can't stand hangovers now, they're so much worse than they used to be. I used to get hammered all the time at uni, definitely into 3 figures with the units.

So doing that just doesn't appeal any more. I'm down to about 5 or 6 cans of beer a week. (And it's nothing to do with a media "blitz").

In recent years I've had hangovers that have lasted a full three days. Horrible.

I was back home for six weeks over Christmas and New Year and to be honest travelled back to Australia dragging my poor wounded liver behind me. I haven't had a beer in seven weeks. It's been tough watching folks sipping on frosty beers in an Australian summer but I do feel a bit better for it. Total abstinence is not for me though and I aim to imbibe by the end of the month.

The breathalyser is a bad thing? :wacko::blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I drink far too much and have done for the last 10yrs years now, so I guess the blitz on drinking isn't really having an impact on me. I justify this by telling myself I didn’t drink that much for the previous 10yrs :D

Living with someone who is heavily involved in public health, I can cut through all the bull and tell you that you must have 2 days a week off, 3 if possible, that’s the rule of thumb.

Obviously the breathalyser is a necessary but it is also obvious that it contributed to the closure of pubs, particularly country pubs, so Gordon is absolutely right. I don't believe he commented either way whether or not it was a good thing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/15/truth-about-young-people-and-drugs

Guardian piece on drugs of all varieties showing strong concerns by users on their alcohol use.

You do wonder how ridiculous the situation has to get before proper legalisation and proper regulation is brought in.

Quite obviously the prohibition system does not work and causes more harm than good.

You do wonder how ridiculous the situation has to get before proper legalisation and proper regulation is brought in.

Quite obviously the prohibition system does not work and causes more harm than good.

Indeed. You'd think with the current warnings that people don't know what is in drugs, especially the newer 'legal' ones, that it would only be logical to regulate it so that if people were to take them it could be as safe as possible, or as safe as say, drinking or smoking. Instead, this fear of quality control is being used simply as a warning not to touch the stuff at all.

People, generally, will always take drugs, just like people, generally, will always drink or smoke tobacco. Blanket bans and prohibition doesn't work.

As a side point, I've always seen alcohol as the scariest drug outside of your cracks and smacks.

Media has not changed my drinking. I have changed it though. Used to drink carling - but this year went back on to real ale. Ironically it was my doctor who got me back on that. I went through a time where I had high blood pressure. Dr knew I was unlikely to stop my friday nights out. So he said leave the lager alone and drink ale. So I did and it has worked a treat. Strange that just a type of beer can affect things sometimes.

I don't miss carling / lagers at all. But so many real ales about, get spoilt for choice.

Archived