BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rules?

Having a chat over a cuppa and we on about the pens last night . If the chipped pen had say ballooned in the air and landed half way between the taker and goalie , could the taker run on and slam it in? I said no and mate says yes.

Not in a pen shoot out. If it was a normal game you could pass it forward and a team mate could run on and score but the taker couldnt kick it again. Pires tried it once at Arsenal and failed miserably:-

In any penalty situation, once the ball has moved its circumference, the taker is not allowed to touch the ball again, in a match situation another player could score if he ran onto the ball, otherwise another player must touch the ball first, ie keeper parries the ball.

In a shoot out, whatever the situation, once the ball has travelled its circumference, the penalty has been deemed to have been taken!

In any penalty situation, once the ball has moved its circumference, the taker is not allowed to touch the ball again, in a match situation another player could score if he ran onto the ball, otherwise another player must touch the ball first, ie keeper parries the ball.

In a shoot out, whatever the situation, once the ball has travelled its circumference, the penalty has been deemed to have been taken!

The law changed several years ago and 'the ball moving the distance of it's own circumference' was taken out and replaced with 'kicked' in every law relating to re-starts of play. In penalty shoot-outs the law differs slightly than from that of a penalty during play.

I think each team should be given a penalty shootout option of having 1 player take all the penalties, this would take a player with massive balls but id rather have Gerrard/Rooney take all the penalties than light weight bottlers like Ashley young.

Saying that though its only really England that has Such a poor history on shootouts so cant imagine their would be any other countries interested in changing the rules, Were just crap at them.

I think each team should be given a penalty shootout option of having 1 player take all the penalties, this would take a player with massive balls but id rather have Gerrard/Rooney take all the penalties than light weight bottlers like Ashley young.

Saying that though its only really England that has Such a poor history on shootouts so cant imagine their would be any other countries interested in changing the rules, Were just crap at them.

You could potentially be there all day long. Say Portugal vs Argentina and Messi and Ronaldo are just constantly scoring.

I enjoy seeing different players take one. I can give no explanation for why England are so bad at penalties. Any ideas anyone? Are they just bottlers? World Cup 2006 for example......Gerrard and Lampard both miss what is that about.

So a the penalty taker cant score the rebound if the penalty comes back off the post/bar?

No..... and he can't with a penalty in a proper match either cos he would be deemed offside.

I found that out by bitter experience when I did it playing for the school U13's and the subsequent goal was disallowed. Even worse I virtually took it off my mates toe to knock it in.

I can give no explanation for why England are so bad at penalties. Any ideas anyone? Are they just bottlers? World Cup 2006 for example......Gerrard and Lampard both miss what is that about.

Just badly prepared mentally and physically. Cole committed the cardinal sin of 'easing back' as he struck it. Like a boxing punch or a cricket or golf shot one should always accelerate through the ball. I felt angry at Cole but sorry for Young cos that was a good strike, unfortunately it was not his tournament. If he'd have been starring in the previous games his confidence would have been high, he'd have been more relaxed and that pen would have gone in.

btw Pirlo would have got a rollocking off me for his pen. No time to ponce about trying to look cool.

Now I might be wrong here but I think I remember Rovers scoring a penalty at Ewood in the 1960s by one player pushing the ball forward and another smashing it in. Mike Ferguson was one of the players involved. Anyone else remember it ?

btw Pirlo would have got a rollocking off me for his pen. No time to ponce about trying to look cool.

I appreciate it looks like that but is very intelligent to take a penalty like that. Middle of the goal and off the ground is one of the best places to put it as how often does a keeper not dive. The chip was just to demonstrate his class and composure.

I'm still waiting to see this again -

- I think I saw Rochina there as well.

• Backroom

Now I might be wrong here but I think I remember Rovers scoring a penalty at Ewood in the 1960s by one player pushing the ball forward and another smashing it in. Mike Ferguson was one of the players involved. Anyone else remember it ?

Can't help you there but didn't Cruyff score one similar?

Edit

One thing that confused me was until recently I'm sure the rule was once the ball came back out the penalty was over but now it's not the case (maybe never was)

I saw one recently where the keeper saved it then went off to celebrate and the ball spun backwards and went in and the goal was given

No..... and he can't with a penalty in a proper match either cos he would be deemed offside.

I found that out by bitter experience when I did it playing for the school U13's and the subsequent goal was disallowed. Even worse I virtually took it off my mates toe to knock it in.

He wouldn't be offside, its impossible - they would be behind the ball when it was kicked.

Basically it is the same situation as a free kick, the taker can only touch the ball once untill it has come into contact with another player or has gone out of play. If he does then an indirect free kick will be awarded

Words fail me. The last thing we want is creative showmanship on a football field.

You confuse me, you CONSTANTLY go on about Sam Allardyce and how "results over style" should be the ethos.

The penalty hit the net, so why do you care how it got there?

• Backroom

I actually think it won Italy the tie.

At the time Italy were behind and we would have been feeling confident. Pirlo shows the calmness and ability to do that and totally changed the mindset of the rest of the shootout and think it spooked our lot, Young had to follow and bottled it.

I think it was a league cup match around 1964, possibly Mike Harrison involved with Fergie. Its all very vague now.

So a the penalty taker cant score the rebound if the penalty comes back off the post/bar?

Can't believe people don't know the basic rules of football! Next u will be asking if you can score direct from a throw in with no touch of the ball.

• Backroom

Brushed Enklemans studs didn't it?

I remember rovers conceding a goal off a throw in in the league cup that tim flowers I think it was misjudged and fingertipped in

Archived