BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ipswich Away 18/08/12 (Unofficial Thread)

I know that nearer the time of the match there will be the official thread with preview etc, however I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get onto the site before the actual match so I was wondering if anyone could respond in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to be travelling down to the game, most likely on my own, and was wondering if anyone knew of which pub the away fans will be gathering in before the game? My girlfriend lives down in Ipswich so I'll be travelling from somewhere nearby but wouldn't mind meeting up with some Rovers fans before the match.

Also I've never been to an away game at Ipswich, has anyone ever had any trouble with violent Ipswich fans or are they mostly a friendly bunch? I only ask as there's a chance I may bring my girlfriend along and don't fancy any trouble with her around. I've seen Ipswich once last season against Burnley and their fans seemed pleasant enough but just wondering if they were representative of others past experience.

Please don't turn this into a thread of 'why are you going!? boycott the team' etc etc. I've made my decision to go, I enjoy a Saturday's football, hate Kean and Venky's but what else would I do on a weekend? Watching Soccer Saturday isn't even really an option for this season as we'll never be on it!

Cheers.

Looking forward to the match and seeing Kean's new improved team start their climb back to the top. I like Portman Road and the crowd are friendly too - should be a good day out with hopefully three points in the bag.

I've decided I'm on away games only until Kean goes. I'm just trying to book a ticket for Ipswich at one rovers, but the site seems broken - it won't let me choose as ticket type (adult 20-59). Does anyone know if that means it has sold out?

Thanks in advance..

I've been quite a few times,never had any bother personally and I'll be there this game aswell,I've family down that way so wil be the same full blow weekend on the lash as every other time we meet up

Same for me. Family down there. Should be a decent night out in Ipswich (after the game), it can be quite lively though! :)

I'm going to the game on the train. I believe the away pub is called the station, obviously near the railway station, which is a short distance from the ground.

There are also meant to be some decent ale houses in the centre. Lord nelson has decent reviews.

As for whether to take your mrs, you will be fine, as you would be at the vast majority of away days in this country

I've decided I'm on away games only until Kean goes. I'm just trying to book a ticket for Ipswich at one rovers, but the site seems broken - it won't let me choose as ticket type (adult 20-59). Does anyone know if that means it has sold out?

Thanks in advance..

I called up (which I should just have done straight away...) and there are "ha, plenty of tickets available". Not sure if onerovers has a separate allocation but possibly another example of poor administration within the club. Anyways, Picadilly at 0705 it is then. Going to be a long day that one...

Wondering ewhat the starting line up will be having just listened to the latest podcast and the discussion about how we haven't really been picking a consistent line up in friendlies as the season draws closer. To be expected with Kean in charge but I will hazard a guess at the following line up with 1 or 2 question marks for a couple of positions.

Robbo

Orr, Dann, Givet, ???

Formica (if still around), Murphy, Etuhu, Nunes

Kazim-Richards

Nuno Gomes

Subs:

Bunn or Kean

Dunn

Hanley

Marcus Olsson

Pedersen

Goodwillie

Lowe

I don't expect to see Jorge, Edinho, or Rosado for a while, and I reckon Martin Olsson won't play for us again before the transfer window closes incase he gets an injury and can't be sold...or he decides to stick it out for some reason.

The middle of the park looks a bit more secure, but huge question marks over the defence still with no recognised left back. I can deal with Orr at right back despite him being pro-Kean as he's a fairly steady championship standard defender with a half decent cross on him.

I remember my first visit to Portman Rd back in the late 80's,compared to most grounds at that time I thought it was a very nice,modern stadium.

One hell of journey though once off the Motorway!

Yes a long way to Portman Road, all credit to the fans making the trip.

SG - Do you remember the police walking several injured Ipswich fans on to the pitch during one of our games back in the 80’s to pick out the Rovers fans responsible for giving them a kicking? Very surreal that one!

Have Ipswich made any Summer signings as of yet? I haven't been keeping abreast of things given my post relegation detox.

Last thing I heard they were gonna lose their best player in Grant Leadbitter.....they have Chopra who has scored goals at this level as well as Jason Scotland.....not sure who else, they will probs come mid table.

Thanks.

Is Keef still there?

I thought he went to Bolton? If we are thinking of promotion or even playoffs, Ipswich are the kind of team we should be trying to beat home and away (obviously that's the case for all teams but you see what I mean)...same goes for the likes of Watford and Derby.

There are many good teams in this division who will be challenging but unless Ipswich have an amazing season, they won't be up there.

Trying to work out the lineup for Ipswich, so many questions.

Entire squad list (plus Rosado and Kazim-Richards)

GK - Robinson, Bunn, Kean, Usai

RB - Orr, Ribeiro, Lowe, Henley

CB - Dann, Givet, G.Hanley, O'Connor, Etuhu, Anderson

LB - Givet, Martin Olsson, Marcus Olsson, Henley, Morris, Anderson

RM - Formica, Rochina, Nunes, Kazim-Richards, R.Hanley, Vuckevic

CM - Murphy, Etuhu, Dunn, Pedersen, Lowe, Petrovic, Jorge, Rosado, Linganzi, Cotton, N'Zonzi

LM - Nunes, Pedersen, Kazim-Richards, Rochina, Vuckevic, Formica, Martin Olsson, Marcus Olsson, Morris

CF - Best, Nuno Gomes, Edinho, Goodwillie, Rochina, Kazim-Richards, Blackman

I think the starting lineup will be the highlighted players above in the now traditional 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation.

Archived