BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] GAME THREAD - Hull City Home 12/13

I heard Robbie Savage on the radio last night saying he thought your squad was the strongest in the league, he pointed to your midfield triangle, he also said he didn't think Kean was the right man to lead you. If you have an Achilles heel then it would still appear to be sitting in the managers seat.

Spot on Longsiders. Our squad must also be the largest in the League in terms of numbers which will allow us to rest and rotate players as the marathon 46 game season unfurls.

It is noticeable after two games that the only team with maximum points is Blackpool which indicates a lot of teams will be taking points off each other all season. If Blackpool are the best in the Division (or amongst the best) which I think is likely we have nothing to fear and we really should be up there slugging it out, for the automatic positions.

The worry from our point of view of course is that we have Kean and they have the excellent Holloway and our manager will completely blow a great chance. Like by starting our opening home game against unambitious opposition without a recognised frontman.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok i'll bite.

Care to point out what exactly I said was way off the mark in my analysis of tonight's performance based off forming an opinion by listening to the game on the radio. Was the performance dire? Did Rovers often sit far too deep during the game? Was the general attacking pace of the game slow?

As you asked I didn't think we sat back too deep on the whole last night. Apart from the last 4-5 minutes when we were 1 up.

The problem for me quite simply was that we retained the ball nicely in our areas of the pitch but when we carried it forward there were no options up front.

Was the attacking pace of the game too slow?. Absolutely. Due in my mind to the problem above. There was no one to pass to as we weren't getting bodies forward in support of Richards who himself kept drifting out towards his natural position on the wing.

I agree with the poster above who said Rochina has to start behind a front man. He could have a field day in this League.

As you asked I didn't think we sat back too deep on the whole last night. Apart from the last 4-5 minutes when we were 1 up.

The problem for me quite simply was that we retained the ball nicely in our areas of the pitch but when we carried it forward there were no options up front.

Was the attacking pace of the game too slow?. Absolutely. Due in my mind to the problem above. There was no one to pass to as we weren't getting bodies forward in support of Richards who himself kept drifting out towards his natural position on the wing.

I agree with the poster above who said Rochina has to start behind a front man. He could have a field day in this League.

I don't understand why this squad is so good. It's packed with feebies, journeymen, kids and OAP's and untried Portuguese waiters. I've started another thread comparing it to the last promotion squad which was added to very astutely through the year by a very good manager and eventually finished second. I just can't see how a couple of geriatric midfielders can overcome the general poor standard of players throughout the squad. The whole squad needs rebuilding in my opinion.

Has Gerald been given the push also on RR?

It said they were not running the full program until weekend, when the rest of the team returned.

I was tuned in to a different station with Gallagher amongst others commenting, All agreed it was a poor display, lack of fluency, little entertainment and the result was the only good thing.

RR meanwhile said it had been a hugely exciting game, with loads of goal mouth incident!

We need to start playing as a team with a bit of enthusiasm and spirit - something that has been lacking since Kean took over.

Look at how Holloway gets Blackpool to play. Every game is a cup final and the players are fully committed for each other and the team -they gets results far greater than the individual parts.

Our team looks strong on paper but they will struggle unless there is a boost to their attitude. It doesn't help that half the team dislike Kean and the other half suck up to him.

I have never understood the fans antipathy toward Bruno. I saw him at Moracambe and Killmarnock last pre-season and thought he looked quite tidy.

On tonight's game:-

Really enjoyed the victory. Hull attempted to 'park the bus' and it looked for a while that their tactics might succeed. The double substitution was the key to unlocking the puzzle ... with Murphy finding somebody on his wavelength in Gomez.

As for the atmosphere ... much better than the negativity of most of last season with the majority of the 'numpty brigade' giving Ewood a wide berth ... I'm sure this will help the young lads such as Fabio settle-in.

There won't be anyone settling in when the money dries up ES. It'll be back to 5k crowds and even worse players than we have now soon enough. Personally I don't understand how anyone can enjoy observing the systematic destruction of Walkers legacy..... not even with a few free holidays to some fly blown, poverty stricken hell hole half way around the globe chucked in. Then again how could I? I'm a trembler not a Slumdog groupie. :P

We sat way to deep for most of the game. It's ok passing it about your defence to exploit gaps but your defence has to be up the pitch. You say there where no options and that is because the midfield was nowhere near them as we where sat too deep and they where caught in no mans land. If ehtuh or murphy did drop for the ball then the attackers where to far away so it just went back to the defence.

It was the same last season and prem teams punished us as the had so much space

The number of blank advertising boards was shocking last night, half of the ones that were filled were no-mark companies too. Surprised they haven't just slapped a load more Venkys ones there to plug the gaps.

This is the one thing that shocked me last night. I was expecting empty seats and a crowd of 13-14000 but the amount of white space where the advertising used to be, such as the removal of WEC from Darwen End, the total lack of advertising on the JW Stand, the massive gaps on the Riverside. How much must that be costing the club?

Unlike the fans, who I think will return in numbers if Kean goes, I can't see the corporates returning en masse whilst Venky's are here. I would not want my Company associated with such a badly run public organisation, can't imagine many others would.

Everything bar the result was poor last night, the teams, the managers, the officials, the fans, absoltely eveything, yet my girls want to again on Saturday so looks like we will be there!

Strange phenomenon about human behaviour. Why would people stay in their old seats when much better ones are available. Those staying in the JW outer must be subservient by nature.

Because the Darwen End contains humans, is funny, noisy, and rebellious.

We need to start playing as a team with a bit of enthusiasm and spirit - something that has been lacking since Kean took over.

Look at how Holloway gets Blackpool to play. Every game is a cup final and the players are fully committed for each other and the team -they gets results far greater than the individual parts.

Our team looks strong on paper but they will struggle unless there is a boost to their attitude. It doesn't help that half the team dislike Kean and the other half suck up to him.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why it looks strong on paper. Looks rubbish to me.

I have never understood the fans antipathy toward Bruno. I saw him at Moracambe and Killmarnock last pre-season and thought he looked quite tidy.

On tonight's game:-

Really enjoyed the victory. Hull attempted to 'park the bus' and it looked for a while that their tactics might succeed. The double substitution was the key to unlocking the puzzle ... with Murphy finding somebody on his wavelength in Gomez.

As for the atmosphere ... much better than the negativity of most of last season with the majority of the 'numpty brigade' giving Ewood a wide berth ... I'm sure this will help the young lads such as Fabio settle-in.

PARKED THE BUS! FFS. They had more shots than us and it took until 65 mins before their goalie made a save.

The double sub didn't do anything, we should have had 2 forwards on at the beginning!

Murphy is on the same wavelength as Gomez alright - dead slow and old. Medium Wave - not anywhere near FM, never mind 4g mate.

Fabio needs a couple of quality players to settle in - and we don't have any.

Atmosphere was horrible.

You must have some great rose tinted glasses or be the great delude one himself!

Did you go?

People seem to think it will be an easy division to get out of after seeing 2 games, methinks they are in for a rude awakening.

It's to early to tell anything about the standard of the division at this point. It would take at least 10 games before we really see how Rovers are going to do in this division.

At that time we will probably also know how true Shebbys "17 from 7" statement is...

It's to early to tell anything about the standard of the division at this point. It would take at least 10 games before we really see how Rovers are going to do in this division.

At that time we will probably also know how true Shebbys "17 from 7" statement is...

He might even know in 7 games ;)

you really do not know anything. I CARE but I wasn't THERE tonight. I was listening on the radio as i cannot bring myself (along with my 2 former season tickets holding family members, who have all had season tickets every season for the last 20 years, one who has supported the club since the 50's) to put myself through the anger that I put myself through last season.

I will always support my club, I couldn't care less about on goings at other clubs, but I will not put any money into the regime that has ruined a club I, and many others have support all my life. If and when I decide that the club I love is no longer being run into the ground I will return to Ewood. Until that point I will support from a far/at away games. But being told I do not CARE about my club could not be further from the truth. You follow the club in the way you chose to, i have no problem with that, but do not try to dictate the way others should support the club and belittle others by trying to put yourself on a superior level to other fans.

Well said Jimlav; I too have had the very same obnoxious suggestion thrown my way, and to which I replied in similar vein to yourself. It most certainly makes the blood boil to receive such crap from people who probably weren't even born (and quite possibly their parents either) when I first became a Rovers fan and have been ever since. 66 years in my case. So I've said it before and I'll say it again:......I WILL BE BACK JUST AS SOON AS THE CLUB IS CLEANSED OF ALL THE PARASITIC ELEMENTS THAT ARE RUINING IT AT PRESENT, AND NOT BEFORE

It would take at least 10 games before we really see how Rovers are going to do in this division.

I reckon we'll have a good idea after Saturday. If the standard of football is similar to that garbage, from both teams, last night then I suggest the Championship takes a good long look at itself in the mirror. I don't think it will be though.

I've probably got more experience of the Championship than you lads so let me try and put some perspective here for you.

Firstly I think this years league, on paper at least, looks as strong as it has in a decade but I wouldn't really put Ipswich and Hull as two of the obvious top 6 candidates. Additionally a lot of teams can take a few games to settle so I wouldn't start to judge just yet. Also you've a lot more games so losing a bit of ground early on isn't quite as problematic as it can be in the PL.

Your squad, again on paper, looks as strong as any and stronger than most. No reason at all that you shouldn't be competing at the very top of the league. That doesn't mean you'll win every game nor indeed that you won't lose unexpectedly to so called un-fancied teams (I'm hoping for two of those results myself). That is the nature of this league. Rarely is it 'there for the taking' but with your squad and the money you've spent you'd absolutely expect to be top 2 or 3.

I heard Robbie Savage on the radio last night saying he thought your squad was the strongest in the league, he pointed to your midfield triangle, he also said he didn't think Kean was the right man to lead you. If you have an Achilles heel then it would still appear to be sitting in the managers seat.

I think you mean Achilles arse there Longsider. Many will agree with that.

I've probably got more experience of the Championship than you lads so let me try and put some perspective here for you.

Firstly I think this years league, on paper at least, looks as strong as it has in a decade but I wouldn't really put Ipswich and Hull as two of the obvious top 6 candidates. Additionally a lot of teams can take a few games to settle so I wouldn't start to judge just yet. Also you've a lot more games so losing a bit of ground early on isn't quite as problematic as it can be in the PL.

Your squad, again on paper, looks as strong as any and stronger than most. No reason at all that you shouldn't be competing at the very top of the league. That doesn't mean you'll win every game nor indeed that you won't lose unexpectedly to so called un-fancied teams (I'm hoping for two of those results myself). That is the nature of this league. Rarely is it 'there for the taking' but with your squad and the money you've spent you'd absolutely expect to be top 2 or 3.

I think you mean Achilles arse there Longsider. Many will agree with that.

It is hard to tell in the championship until after about 10 games, definately harder to tell than the premiership thats for sure.

Seem to remember Brighton where up there at the start for a couple of months last season and then dropped off...Middlesboro the same.

Its just too hard to call. I think there are some very average teams that clog up the league from about 6th place down to about 16th.

Ok i'll bite.

Care to point out what exactly I said was way off the mark in my analysis of tonight's performance based off forming an opinion by listening to the game on the radio. Was the performance dire? Did Rovers often sit far too deep during the game? Was the general attacking pace of the game slow?

Fair enough I won't post again on anymore of the game threads this season.

Don't let these WUMs drive you off RVR. Those of us that have been around in the game a bit know which of the posters opinions are reliable and beyond doubt and which one's are not.

Last night it really hit home the difference between Premiership and Championship football. I don't watch much Championship but if Hull City are typical of the quality of the league then maybe even a team guided by Coco might be able to achieve something. Although a pessimist, probably quite rightly would say that Hull aren't one of the division's best teams and in the end we where somewhat fortunate to win. The optimists may say we managed to grind out a result and kept a clean sheet against a team that was set-up deliberately defensively to try and frustrate.

Not much change from the players we already know about. Lowe, Orr & Marcus Olsson are for me much more suited to this class of football, although if Marcus Olsson had a first touch he would be incredibly dangerous. Givet is still a class-act, probably our best player in the current squad I'd say. Dann is still a below-par player even at this level, thankfully Hull where so poor they never took advantage of his mistakes. Dunn, didn't really notice him much to be honest. Of the new players I was most impressed by Nuno Gomez, who's introduction did at least spur us on a little and resulted in the somewhat comical goal. You can just tell a class player when you see one, and in his brief cameo he looked very impressive to me. Kazim-Richards looks a bit of a hit and miss player to me, sometimes wonderful touches and control and at other times simply woeful. Wasn't that impressed with Nunes, looked flashy when he got the ball but didn't really create anything, only his first game though. Murphy and Etuhu did a decent job in midfield but both ended up playing too deep to really influence the game much. Etuhu probably deserved MotM though did a lot of winning the ball back in midfield, just the sort of player we needed. The fact that the tempo of the game was so slow, especially first half meant that it became easy for Hull just to put man behind the ball and we found it difficult to break them down.

Hence chances where limited all game long, I can only recall Robbo's one save first half where either goalkeeper was really stretched. In conclusion a very dire match, heart-breaking to see a more than half empty Ewood. But a win is a win I suppose, hopefully that'll breed confidence because I can't believe we can afford to play that badly against every team in this division and expect to win.

For what it's worth my ratings.

Robinson Not much to do will have bigger tests 6

Orr Seems to have found his level 7

Dann Put a few good blocks in but still gives the ball away too often. With Givet we should have by far the best centre half pairing in the division. 7

Givet Steady away again. 11 Givets and we would walk this league 7

Ms Olsson Looks good going forward but I imagine will get found out defensively. Gives us pace but first touch not great last night 6

Lowe Played out of Position again. I would love to see him given a run in his natural position. Plenty of effort but not a right winger 5

Etuhu Broke up play and played well. 7

Murphy Not the "Pirlo" performance I was expecting. Gave the ball away far to often. 5

Nunes Looked lively and showed a few signs of promise. 6

Dunn He was poor. I'm not sure Dunn and Murphy can play in the same side. Offered nothing going forward. The game was crying out for the old Dunn what we got was an old Dunn 5

Kazim Richards Scored again can't ask for anymore than that. Fed scraps and looks like he needs a partner. 7

As for Kean he did actually change it and it paid off. We really need a left back and the absence of Simon and Rochina leaves more questions than it answers. I left feeling I had watched a very poor game of football and a better side would have beaten us. I have a feeling that will come on Saturday against Leicester.

Can I just point out regarding the lamenting of the quality, atmosphere and entertainment of games in this league. This is EXACTLY why myself and others were more than happy with what Big Sam served up.

I just knew there'd come a point when the mass moaning that used to go on about the style of football in home wins against strong opposition would look beyond stupid, and now we've reached it.

For the first time in years and years, we played a league game in which the opposition tried everything to come away with a nil-nil. This is something we may well see week in week out at home this season and it is very strange to watch.

I suspect most teams will be cagey against us at Ewood.

At the risk of annoying any of you, a rehabilitated and contrite Nzonzi would be fantastic alongside Etuhu who really impressed in patches last night.

I think after seeing how poor we are playing, more teams will be less negative in their approach to playing us away......agree 100% about Nzonzi.....he looked better next to Jermaine Jones and with Etuhu beside him he could drive forward with the ball like in the games where he was allowed to last season.

We will but only because we have to, Leeds probably will, Cardiff and quite a few others, like Blackpool. Funny thing is I think this division is a lot harder than half of you think and perhaps not quite as tough as the other half of you think. On squad alone you should beat 80% of the division easily.

But Ipswich are guaranteed to be part of that 80% and we struggled to get a point off them.....I know it was the first game and the heat played a factor but we are so disorganised and Kean is so utterly clueless that we will be lucky to finish top half.

I don't understand why this squad is so good. It's packed with feebies, journeymen, kids and OAP's and untried Portuguese waiters. I've started another thread comparing it to the last promotion squad which was added to very astutely through the year by a very good manager and eventually finished second. I just can't see how a couple of geriatric midfielders can overcome the general poor standard of players throughout the squad. The whole squad needs rebuilding in my opinion.

Because the Darwen End contains humans, is funny, noisy, and rebellious.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why it looks strong on paper. Looks rubbish to me.

The squad looks poor because Kean makes it look poor.....Yakubu looked good because he held the ball up well, layed it off then finished a load of chances when they came to him in the box......Givet, Samba, P Jones and Hanley played well because they're CB's so it's their job to win tackles, headers and interceptions, that is all.....J Jones and Nzonzi played well together because they were DM's and there wasn't any creativeness to our midfield....meaning their job wasn't too strenuous....barring attempting to win the ball back.

But for the others they are relying on Kean to give them instructions, a game-plan and what tactics to follow and therefore it makes them look poor because Kean is a fool.......the goalkeeper usually looks bad because Robbo has weaknesses and the defensive set up is a shambles......the full backs receive no protection from the wingers and have too much to do.....only 1 striker is ever played up top meaning only their 2 CB's have to stay back and opposition full backs are free to get forward.....Orr, Lowe and Olsson are hardly the greatest full backs but Salgado went from being one of our best players under Sam to one of our worst under Kean due to not getting enough protection.

No defensive midfielder got stuck in enough meaning Nzonzi, Petrovic and Lowe looked worse.....when any player, in midfield especially, has the ball there is hardly anything on for them to pass to....Nzonzi would almost act like a deep-lying playmaker for us last season, passing to players in front or to the side of him, with the ball normally being played right back to him again as there was no forward movement so he would have to go backwards for Dann or Robbo to hoof it to nowhere.

Hoillett and Martin Olsson 2 seasons ago looked good, same as Vukcevic, because they are direct players who looked to take full backs on and get balls into the box, or get to the byline and cut it back.......but for other midfielders, there is no proper gameplan, no fluency and no link up play between the players and therefore there is very little chance of them being allowed to play well, unless they do things on their own like beating a man, playing a very good pass, or having a shot on goal.....our lack of pass-and-move is an absolute travesty, certain games are a complete joke in how often our players just pass it about while standing still.

On top of all of that, we aren't fully fit, we don't vary our tactics based on the opposition, we don't change out tactics based on how the game is going, other managers do just that and stifle our players, hardly anyone gets a proper run in the team, poor use of substitutions, other reasons on top of that........Norwich's team had quite a few players in it that came from League 1.....Lambert is a very good manager, got them playing the right system, got them fully fit and motivated and they could have beaten anyone last season....they won at some very hard grounds and could have at a few others as well......now they have an average manager and will most likely be relegated......would they have lost 5-0 to Fulham when Lambert was there? I very highly doubt it.

Robbo Robbo

Orr Hanley Givet Henley Orr Hanley Givet Henley

Vukcevic Murphy Etuhu Nunes Kazim Murphy Etuhu Vukcevic

Rochina Rochina

Kazim Best

Those sides could certainly get promotion under a real manager.

Also, I heard on the radio and again through here that Nuno Gomes had a real impact when he came on....can people elaborate on that and say exactly what he brought to the side.

Archived