[Archived] GAME THREAD - Hull City Home 12/13

How is it with Kaz?

Where was:

Rochina

Vukcevic

Formica

Nzonzi

Goodwillie

They are stil at the club and should play.

Also Adam Henley who played so well last year, where is he? Good left back for the championship.

On a positive note we started better than both Bolton and Burnley,

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone hear the fan outside Ewood Park before the game speaking on 5 Live, saying long the lines of how he was looking forward to the real fans being there and not the morons who made it such a hostile atmosphere last season? He's the one who has been writing Kean all the letters and speaking so positively to him.

How is it with Kaz?

Where was:

Rochina

Vukcevic

Formica

Nzonzi

Goodwillie

They are stil at the club and should play.

Also Adam Henley who played so well last year, where is he? Good left back for the championship.

On a positive note we started better than both Bolton and Burnley,

Out of that lot it is extremely hard to understand why Vukcevic is not playing. Totally bizarre. Probably the most talented player at the club.

Just got back. What a pathetic performance. Sideways passing, no movement no leadership nothing. We are going to be found out by the better teams in the league. We need a change ASAP someone who knows what to do. Where was Rochina again tonight? He would have scored a couple tonight playing front. We will get hammered sat if we play like that again.

• Backroom

Negatives:

Tactics or lack thereof

Robinson looked awful, flapped at easy crosses and poor kicking

Lowe is poor

Nunes and Olsson both lacked an end product

Positives:

Etuhu was a class above and the engine we missed last season

Kazim Richards did well with little service

I saw Bruno Ribeiro play a competitive game, the atmosphere was great when he came on

I have a Moat of empty seats surrounding me so I can spead out when I get bored

I saw Bruno Ribeiro take a shot

That was awful, first half especially. So much for attacking football, we spent most of the first half stroking the ball along our back 4. We created next to nothing, and Hull had the better chances.

Second half was slightly better, but not much. None of our players looked out of place in this division.

It took a scrappy goal to win the game, but 3 points is 3 points. Better teams will rip us to shreds though, we have no pace at all.

Bruno Ribero - cult hero!

Listened to R5 and seems we were lucky

Nonsense. Hull posed no threat for most of the evening. That doesn't mean we were good but certainly not lucky.

Back from the game.

Cant stress how bad Hull were. Rovers good in patches, but seemed nervous. Hope that they can play with more freedom and creativity against Leicester on Saturday.

My ratings

Robinson - 6. Didnt have much to do, made a good save 1st half.

Orr - 6. Rarely got forward and was guilty of playing the ball backwards at almost every opportunity.

Dann - 6. Sloppy distribution once again. A couple of nice headers, would have been exposed more against a better strike force.

Givet - 6. Quiet game from the Frenchman.

Marcus Olsson - 6. Typical Olsson performance, dynamic but lacked quality. Looked more comfortable in an advanced role.

Lowe - 5. Poor performance from a player out of position. Heavy touch and offered nothing going forward.

Murphy - 6. Was clearly frustrated with the style of play early on, some nice touches, but looked a little rusty.

Etuhu - 7. Given man of the match at Ewood, was a decent home debut. Looked like a centre midfielder in the Flitcroft/Jermaine Jones mould.

Fabio Nunes - 6. Blew hot and cold. Decent left foot, awful right foot. Threw himself on the floor at every opportunity.

Dunn - 5. Poor again from Dunny, none of his touches seemed to come off.

Kazim-Richards - 7. Held the ball up really well and couldn't really miss his goal. Hopefully there is more to come.

Subs

Ribeiro - 6. Had a nice run and shot although had little to do.

Nuno Gomes - 6. Certainly more effective in the hole than Dunn. Linked up well with Kazim-Richards.

Pederson - N/A. Not enough time to make an impact.

Is anybody going to mention how decent Bruno looked(very fast for a fullback) and he was playing at left back(don't get me wrong he's hardly a world beater, but a good squad player).

Although we got 3 points there is noway anybody could have watched that and considered us promotion Favourites(or even contenders), Hull where lacking any stand out players yet still looked more dangerous than us when they attacked, Murphy spent most of the game sitting deeper than etuhu!, Dunn was Dunn. Plus points Etuhu was as solid as youd expect, Nunes(apart from a couple of very sloppy passes and the most cringingly embarrassing dive you can imagine!) was lively going forward and and got stuck in defensively, Gomes added class in attack.

Just got back. What a pathetic performance. Sideways passing, no movement no leadership nothing. We are going to be found out by the better teams in the league. We need a change ASAP someone who knows what to do. Where was Rochina again tonight? He would have scored a couple tonight playing front. We will get hammered sat if we play like that again.

Disagree completely with that assessment. For me it was the best of both worlds tonight.

We got a vital 3 points which puts us into the upper reaches of the table whilst at the same time the quality of the performance could not leave anyone in any doubt that Kean is still not the answer, even at this level.

The most encouraging thing was how poor Hull were. If they're indicative of the general standard of this Division then we would breeze it with a couple of quality out and out front men. We were by far the better of the two sides imo but time and time again when we came forward with the ball, there was no one to pass to up front and /or /not enough bodies in the box. If we can rectify that we've a real chance.

I thought Etuhu was extremely impressive. Conversely I was little disappointed with Murphy who was relatively anonymous. However in the second half there were encouraging signs that both players instinctively know where the other is without even thinking about it.

Dann looks a lot more confident than last season for whatever reason. Defensively overall we looked relatively sound.

Dunn looked overweight,.unfit and completely off the pace. Nunes didn't impress but Marcus Olssen displayed tremendous energy and enthusiasm.

I thought Ribeiro looked good when he came on.

All credit to Kazim Richards for 2 goals in 2 games. Can't knock that. Notwithstanding that I thought he looked exactly what he is tonight . A right winger filling in at centre forward.

More firepower needed and we weren't great by any stretch but at the end of the day it was just about enough to see off a very poor Hull side.

Under any other manager I'd be reasonably happy, if not with the performance then with 4 points out of a possible 6. But with the clown in charge I really doubt we'll improve much beyond this. 13k is pathetic but I attach no blame to the fans. If Kean is fired tomorrow I bet that the next home game will have an extra 5/6k on the gate.

Relented and went at last minute which a lot of others did too - ticket office worried that game might be delayed but wasn't.

What a weird atmosphere. Rao boys there wih Shebby - and a very odd line up on the pitch too.

Generally 100 or so to my right in the Darwen End gave enough Kean out and other very funny shouts (We're winning 1-0, How Sh!£ are you? Shebby's gonna sack you in the morning and the match highlight SHEBBY SHEBBY give us a wave - and he did etc.) kept us entertained but otherwise dead everywhere else apart from goal. Rao's etc. went for a bored meeting at 70 mins.

Oh was there a match?

Okay

- We lined up with a left back/midfielder on the right wing. Left winger at left back. A central midfielder at right back, and what looked like a geriatric central midfield pair thoughou the game.

- Olsson put 3 good crosses in early in the game but we needed another striker and would have scored.

- then nothing happened until

- 65 mins - first rovers shot on target.

- Our best player (the Hull number 24) had missed a number of chances by this time.

- Throw in and a great tactcally worked goal! Well it bounced around and CKR scrambled it in.

- Then we went home.

Oh Danny Murphy and Robbo were bickering all he way through too about the big kicks.

Robbo - 6/10 - 1 good save and lots of huge kicks, good crowd banter.

Orr - 3/10 - Can't pass, can't tackle, can't head - but 'a he's a 'effin' player.'

Givet - 8/10 Can tackle head and pass (gone at Christmas is my bet)

Dann 5/10 if it was Dann. Great headers - to Hull players mainly. Very scary with the ball. Would be gone asap if I was in charge.

Olsson 9/10 My man of the match by far. defended okay attacked so well Stevie promoted him to left wing for the second half - which completely stopped his effectiveness.

Murphy 4/10 god help us. Sat too deep, passed okay but Givet should be doing that job. Can't tackle and way behind play for most of the game. He will get 0 goals and 0 assists this season. £50,000 a week. No Way Jose. Jol was right. get rid.

Etuhu 3/10 WHO gives the MoM down there. The guy with the white stick in front of me could see he touched the ball less than anyone else on the park.

Lowe - 5/10 Didn't know he was on - zero attacking threat firs half but maybe made space for Olsson.

Right wing guy (Fabio?) - 6/10 - no end product but I'd stick with him. He needs to play further forward but looks like he could be really good. Don't fall down so much until your tackled.

CKR - 8/10 Looked good with no service and hope to hell folks he isn't injured too badly

Dunn - 3/10 - I loved Dunny when we went up but phew - need to just take a rain check

Kean - -5/10 Danny Murphy seemed to be telling people where to go and stand at the kick off. After 15 minutes it was so obvious we were needed another big striker (Goodwillie would have done fine today) and a bit of re-organisation moving Olsson forward and to push Etuhu and Murphy forward and press, Givet to distribute from deep that a muppet would see it. Nope not Kean. Hands in pockets until the goal and then he's off jeering at the Darwen End.

We'll be fine if all the other teams are like Hull but expect a hammering from better teams.

So nothing much changed

We desperately need an energetic midfield and another centre half like.....Ryan Nelson, or ...errmmm...Chris Samba!

Anyone who thinks we've signed, borrowed, begged or stolen a decent squad is completely deluded like the deluded one. We have a weak slow squad with glaring weaknesses - even at this level. Sorry!

Did you see Coco in the post match interview ? Blotchy skin, sweating, red marks around the nose ? Looks like a bloke ready to have a nervous breakdown.

Tony Hancock "He'll snap like like a dry stick he will, by three o clock he'll be raving mad"

Thats just how he looks.

Hull showed what we will be up against at home this season - teams that are happy to defend in numbers and hope for a break away goal. To their credit I thought Hull worked really hard and defended well in numbers - it was only as both teams tired and the game stretched that Rovers looked anything like a side going to get promoted.

For me the few plus points :-

1. We actually won and got a clean sheet - I had almost forgotten what it felt like

2. CKR was far better than I thought he would be

3. Etuhu is the type of defensive midfield player we have been missing for ages

4. Though he flattered to deceive at times - Nunes continues to look promising

It is obvious that we need a new left back - and push Olsson Mk1 into left wing. His brother had an average match - but was still one of our more threatening players - goes to show what difference pace makes in this league.

Archived