BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pep apparently turned down the job earlier in the week. Rafa and Grant (?!) short odds for temporary contract.

I do wonder if he might go for Redknapp though. There was talk of Roman liking him while he was at Spurs. That would be unfortunate for QPR to say the least

Don't know about Hughesey but I have. (N'Zonzi) Very limited player with a shocking attitude who didn't want to play for us. Yeah great loss.

Sorry but I disagree about with limited and his attitude. I always viewed him as being a difficult midfield opponent with a strong desire to win. Inept management made him leave BRFC as surely as it made Sambas, Nelsen, Hoillet etc and even me leave. I couldn't have played for 5 minutes under a complete footballing derelict who was so obviously on the make.

"He’s very good in the air, his mobility is excellent as well and it is just getting him more disciplined in the team structure. We also feel he can score more goals. He’s that good he should be scoring goals. He’s been outstanding for us – one of the best signings we’ve made at this football club. He has real potential to be a top player."

Tony Pulis

I bet 4m wouldn't buy him now Simon.

Good/frustrating player but he'd never have played well for us again.

Nonsense. N'Zonzi would play for any decent manager...... or perhaps more pertinently one that he respected.

Nzonzi and Jermaine Jones were one of the most promising midfield partnerships I've seen for Rovers in recent years.

They developed a good understanding with one another and Nzonzi even seemed a little more adventurous in his play with Jones back to tidy up.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Spot on. Those two along with Samba and the return from injury of Hoilett and Phil Jones saved our bacon 2 years ago.

When you see how other clubs sack managers, who aren't even performing that badly, thoughts turn to the unsackable Steve Kean and the old familiar anger resurfaces.

And the irrational and illogical support for him in the press and media accompanied with the associated condemnation of BRFC supporters.

Sorry but I disagree about with limited and his attitude. I always viewed him as being a difficult midfield opponent with a strong desire to win. Inept management made him leave BRFC as surely as it made Sambas, Nelsen, Hoillet etc and even me leave. I couldn't have played for 5 minutes under a complete footballing derelict who was so obviously on the make.

"He’s very good in the air, his mobility is excellent as well and it is just getting him more disciplined in the team structure. We also feel he can score more goals. He’s that good he should be scoring goals. He’s been outstanding for us – one of the best signings we’ve made at this football club. He has real potential to be a top player."

Tony Pulis

I bet 4m wouldn't buy him now Simon.

Nonsense. N'Zonzi would play for any decent manager...... or perhaps more pertinently one that he respected.

i would disagree with you then, because out of all the clubs, Stoke were the ones who signed him? If he was that good, then the bigger clubs would have made a much bigger effort to sign him. Ive never seen a midfielder, who passes the ball so much backwards and sideways like he did(maybe Andrews). He doesnt offer much in the tackle either, and cant pick out a pass to open up a defence. The only thing in Nzonzis favour is his height. Im no big fan of him sorry. I was more unhappy with Junior leaving(to be expected), than Nzonzi.

He wanted out and I don't think he'd have stopped with a Championship club who had no guarantee of becoming an established Premiership side no matter who came in. How long would it have taken to get back to where he wanted us? What about Sam Allardyce didn't he respect enough to stop putting the effort in and get dropped?

He had wanted out for quite some time, it appears, and he took his chance when he got it. Maybe now he's looking for a transfer to a big team, but as soon as his purple patch comes to a halt and any potential interest dies down, he'll be getting itchy feet at Stoke with nowhere to move on to. I feel he'll be one who makes an impact when he joins and then goes stale and loses interest, wherever he goes.

i would disagree with you then, because out of all the clubs, Stoke were the ones who signed him? If he was that good, then the bigger clubs would have made a much bigger effort to sign him. Ive never seen a midfielder, who passes the ball so much backwards and sideways like he did(maybe Andrews). He doesnt offer much in the tackle either, and cant pick out a pass to open up a defence. The only thing in Nzonzis favour is his height. Im no big fan of him sorry. I was more unhappy with Junior leaving(to be expected), than Nzonzi.

Me too for obvious reasons. Just as an Arsenal fan prob would have said if asked to compare Bergkamp and Vierra leaving. But I've a strong feeling that a few people will be eating their words about N'Zonzi before much longer. I'll not compare him to the peerless Vierra but rem he is still only 23 which is the same age Arsenal signed Vierra from Milan reserves!

Ill put my head on the block Theno, and say that Nzonzi will just end being one of those players, who had potential, but drifted away into obscurity. To me, he offers nothing going forward or in defence, and just seems to be one big lump in midfield.

So ill be the 1st to eat my words(as you said) if he turns out really good.

Ill put my head on the block Theno, and say that Nzonzi will just end being one of those players, who had potential, but drifted away into obscurity. To me, he offers nothing going forward or in defence, and just seems to be one big lump in midfield.

So ill be the 1st to eat my words(as you said) if he turns out really good.

Nzonzi gave us what none of the other midfielders did in the PL - posession. That's what he'll be doing at Stoke. Posession is what Berg is teaching the current rovers players to embrace. With posession you have control of the game - and from there you can win games.

Nzonzi gave us what none of the other midfielders did in the PL - posession. That's what he'll be doing at Stoke. Posession is what Berg is teaching the current rovers players to embrace. With posession you have control of the game - and from there you can win games.

Apart from Diouf.

You can have 80% possession, but its what you do with that which matters. Its easy to hold onto the ball, but if you have players making runs, and you pass a ball sideways, or you push the ball back, then you halt a potential opportunity. There were many times, where we had players in a position, but Nzonzi just didnt know what to do with it. If you are on a quick counter, then possession doesnt really matter, because you need to work the ball much quicker, and not allow the opposition to re organise themselves.

Watch players like Pirlo, and Iniesta/Xavi(i know not good examples vs nzonzi), but when they have the ball, its look up, spot the player making the run, and they give it. Simple football, and while Barca eg play possession football, you hardly see them move the ball back to their defenders or goal keeper when they are not under pressure

You can have 80% possession, but its what you do with that which matters.

Well without posession, the other team dictates the game. To suggest that rovers with Nzonzi in the team didn't use the ball well says to me that history is being re-written. He won player of the year and that rovers team finished well up the league table.

Watch players like Pirlo, and Iniesta/Xavi(i know not good examples vs nzonzi), but when they have the ball, its look up, spot the player making the run, and they give it. Simple football, and while Barca eg play possession football, you hardly see them move the ball back to their defenders or goal keeper when they are not under pressure

Yeah, it's simple to play like Barca isn't it. Can't understand why our current players can't do that.

I reiterate, history is being re-written about Nzonzi. He was chosen by the fans as the POTY here.

As a strong Championship team possession has proved important to us, or rather the way we use the ball. We have looked much better when we've dictated play ourselves and have a bit of faith in our own ability. In the Premiership had we tried to dictate every game we'd have certainly struggled even more. Horses for courses.

Well without posession, the other team dictates the game. To suggest that rovers with Nzonzi in the team didn't use the ball well says to me that history is being re-written. He won player of the year and that rovers team finished well up the league table.

Yeah, it's simple to play like Barca isn't it. Can't understand why our current players can't do that.

I reiterate, history is being re-written about Nzonzi. He was chosen by the fans as the POTY here.

Im not saying he is not talented, but i am saying that he didnt influence a game as what he should have when he was in possession. Many might disagree with me, fair enough. But, balls went in 2 directions with him, sideways and backwards. You have to look up, and look what is in front of you. In other words, nothing happened through the middle, as the ball was sprayed down the channels, and it was then simple for the opposition Central players to position themselves because balls would be coming from the wings. You have to mix it up, and at least look to do something differently

Im not saying he is not talented, but i am saying that he didnt influence a game as what he should have when he was in possession.

Why did he win the player of the year issy? He didn't win that by having no influence. He gave us posession, I keep saying it, but he did. In that league, playing for a small town club surviving on peanuts, that was vital. Batty did the same job during his career. Invaluable.

Play Station warning: another deluded one who thinks all football teams should play like Barcelona.

Anyone could see Nzonzi was a very good player who was badly managed by the Scottish twerp and that we are weaker without him.

Why did he win the player of the year issy? He didn't win that by having no influence. He gave us posession, I keep saying it, but he did. In that league, playing for a small town club surviving on peanuts, that was vital. Batty did the same job during his career. Invaluable.

Play Station warning: another deluded one who thinks all football teams should play like Barcelona.

Anyone could see Nzonzi was a very good player who was badly managed by the Scottish twerp and that we are weaker without him.

uhm, football is simple, you let the ball do the work. Im by no means deluded, ive played the game, still do. You can play the game like Barcelona, not necessarily as brilliant as what they do it, but you can. However, if the ball is constantly being passed backwards, then you allowing the opposition to re group, instead of getting the ball, looking up and see what is in front of you. You can say what you want, along with Den, i will stick to my guns on Nzonzi. If he proves me wrong, then ill admit to making a mistake. Nzonzi gets the ball, passes it sideways, gets the ball passes it backwards. In your opinion, what exactly does that do, besides slowing the game down, and not moving forward?

To be honest, it's more his temperament that is the problem. He has several decent attributes and can be a more than useful player. Never diminish the sideways pass, especially if you have other players in the team who can contribute with more direct attacking play.

Archived