BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

The goal wasn't given because the linesman thought it was offside - that's what his flag indicated. He didn't flag for a foul. That's what he should have flagged for, though.

Unless Ashley Young has eyes in the back of his head there's no way he's going to be able to run into Ivanovic as the thug is behind him. I'm sure Young was aware of Ivanovic's general position and thought it likely that if he cut across in that direction Ivanovic would clip him, but that's just being intelligent. If one of our players had done that we certainly wouldn't be asking the ref to give Ivanovic the benefit of the doubt would we?

Fair enough, didn't notice that.

I didn't mean Young purposely ran into him, just knew he would get the faintest touch which is normally enough for him to go down.....yea I suppose you could call it unsportsmanlike or intelligent, either way......well no, but if one of our players did the most ridicluous cheating dive ever, I would want a penalty, that shouldn't come into it.

Of course it is. That was the point?

Pundits are always quick to avoid the "D" word when talking about our own.

Alright sorry, I'm sure you made that same comment about a year ago.

Because Andre Wisdom is a full back and Carragher and Coates are both centre backs. Also Wisdom has been playing recently anyway.

And Carragher is past it anyway.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I've noticed is that more and more players now start the game with their shirts untucked. In the 80's only Glenn Hoddle did it, after that no one did.

Is it just me?

Wasn't playing with the shirt out deemed a yellow card offence at one stage?

• Backroom

Fair enough, didn't notice that.

I didn't mean Young purposely ran into him, just knew he would get the faintest touch which is normally enough for him to go down.....yea I suppose you could call it unsportsmanlike or intelligent, either way......well no, but if one of our players did the most ridicluous cheating dive ever, I would want a penalty, that shouldn't come into it.

The decision Young made to run into that position left only two scenarios for Ivanovic - bring Young down by running across him and making contact, or allow him to run through on goal. I don't think you can call the decision by Young to get into that situation anything other than intelligent, it's exactly what you want your attacking players to do. And let's face it, Ivanovic came right across him and brought him down, it wasn't a slight clip.

On the subject of awful dives... you just reminded me of Pedersen's dive against Arsenal. God that was cringeworthy.

Seems to me a mountain being made out of this.

Sky just interviewed a professional lip reader who said he didn't make any racist remark in the clip. The news reporter then said "but that doesn't rule out the fact that he may have made a racist comment at some other time". WTF??

It looked to me like he said (to Mikel) "you can't say Seth". Struggling to think of a soundalike which can be used throw Clattenburg to the wolves.

I don't particularly like the bloke, he comes across as an arrogant so-and-so but this whole episode being blown out of all proportion. Agendas? Trial by media seems to be the new justice system in this country. :rolleyes:

Seems to me a mountain being made out of this.

Sky just interviewed a professional lip reader who said he didn't make any racist remark in the clip. The news reporter then said "but that doesn't rule out the fact that he may have made a racist comment at some other time". WTF??

It looked to me like he said (to Mikel) "you can't say Seth". Struggling to think of a soundalike which can be used throw Clattenburg to the wolves.

I don't particularly like the bloke, he comes across as an arrogant so-and-so but this whole episode being blown out of all proportion. Agendas? Trial by media seems to be the new justice system in this country. :rolleyes:

He may well have made racist comments and until the truth comes out I'm willing to give both him and the players/club officials who complained the benefit of the doubt but like you my first reaction is that it doesn't seem quite right.

My gut says that Chelsea lost a very important game where some key decisions went against them and the ref had a shocker so they threw their toys out the pram and exagerated some of his comments. E.g. Perhaps he said something a little unsavoury to Mikel but not nessicarily racist or anything more offensive than he gets called by the players week in week out. Perhaps something like, "You know what you fecking did Mikel"

If however Clattenbury is guilty of racist comments though then not only is he a big racist but he must also be one of the stupidest people on the planet given the fact how much press there has been lately on racism in the game.

By the way for anyone unware of the situation, Clattenburg allededly made racist comments to John Obi Mikel (No speculation so far on what was actually said) and called Juan Mata a spanish t**t.

By the way for anyone unware of the situation, Clattenburg allededly made racist comments to John Obi Mikel (No speculation so far on what was actually said) and called Juan Mata a spanish t**t.

Hey I've learned something there Dirk ...... Until now I thought Mata was a Portugese t**t. ^_^

I thought he called Torres a Spanish tw@t?

I read that on twitter but you try lining that up with the footage sky sports showed. I can't.

In any case I don't remember Spanish people being a different race though. Insulting? Yes. Abusive? Of course. Racist??

What makes me laugh is the amount of abuse referees get from managers, players and fans and a ref makes one alleged response and he's threatened with losing his job?

I'm sure the controversial sending off of two Chelses players with no room for appeal in a narrow defeat is completely coincidental. Premier League players being the pillars of society that we all see performing generous acts of community service every week.

Get the coversations broadcast during games, like in Rugby. Except they won't because disgusting, abusive, foul-mouthed players have more to lose.

I thought he called Torres a Spanish tw@t?

If he said that then it's an insult but I don't count that as a racist comment. No doubt some more excitable types full of frothy self righteous indignation would... but they'd be wrong. Thats the problem with these fashionable and escalating charges of racism, nobody seems to work to the same rule book.

They did define the Mikel comment as racist and the Mata comment as innapropriate not nesscarily racist.

The two lineseman (Assistant Referees whatever) and 4th official have confirmed they heard nothing on their radio links.

The conversations are not recorded by the way, otherwise it would be a pretty quick resolution I'd have thought.

So it looks like it's going to be 4 officials word vs the Chelsea players.

Interesting that Clattenburg has had to step down while it's being investigated, don't remember that happening to Terry, double standards all ready?

They did define the Mikel comment as racist and the Mata comment as innapropriate not nesscarily racist.

The two lineseman (Assistant Referees whatever) and 4th official have confirmed they heard nothing on their radio links.

The conversations are not recorded by the way, otherwise it would be a pretty quick resolution I'd have thought.

So it looks like it's going to be 4 officials word vs the Chelsea players.

Interesting that Clattenburg has had to step down while it's being investigated, don't remember that happening to Terry, double standards all ready?

The complaint by Mata has been dropped by Chelsea. They've made a formal complaint to the FA about the allegations by Mikel.

I really hope that this whole episode ends with referees being fully miked up and broadcast to the crowd as in rugby.

If players swear or abuse the ref, send them off.

Sadly I think refs will vote against it because it would mean having to explain their... incorrect... decisions.

Away from our travails for a second, what the hell has happened to Mark Hughes at QPR?

Into November, still waiting for a win and from what little I've seen very poor business in the transfer market. Junior excepted.

Do we tbink history will show that the Ewood years were Sparky's pomp? Or is he good enough to come again?

Not sure what to make of Hughes these days.

I used to think having Clint Hill and Anton Ferdinand as your centre backs absolved him from any blame.....but their team is decent now and they can't even win one game....not even at home to Reading.

He seemed to do well at Fulham but then that Fulham fan said a group of experienced players made him change their tactics.

As for City, I think he was unfortunate that Lescott and Kolo Toure didn't work together....I remember a lot of the goals they conceded was because of those two.......but he did waste a lot of money on the likes of Jo......they just drew all the time....like 7 in a row at one point I think it was.

But I don't think City fans think too highly of him at all.

He was still my first choice to come here though.....I would have loved for him to come back.

I don't think he'll take them down, although it would amuse me.....Southampton look doomed and Norwich and Reading will probably join them....maybe Villa as well, that would be a laugh.

Not sure what to make of Hughes these days.

I used to think having Clint Hill and Anton Ferdinand as your centre backs absolved him from any blame.....but their team is decent now and they can't even win one game....not even at home to Reading.

He seemed to do well at Fulham but then that Fulham fan said a group of experienced players made him change their tactics.

As for City, I think he was unfortunate that Lescott and Kolo Toure didn't work together....I remember a lot of the goals they conceded was because of those two.......but he did waste a lot of money on the likes of Jo......they just drew all the time....like 7 in a row at one point I think it was.

But I don't think City fans think too highly of him at all.

He was still my first choice to come here though.....I would have loved for him to come back.

I don't think he'll take them down, although it would amuse me.....Southampton look doomed and Norwich and Reading will probably join them....maybe Villa as well, that would be a laugh.

Some managers need money to spend (Redknapp, Dalglish, Benitez etc) whilst some like Hughes, Moyes and Allardyce appear do a better job without it. Of course none will ever admit that.

btw Hughes didn't buy Jo.... in fact I don't believe he even wanted him. I believe Jo was actually a 'prezzie' from the odious City Chairman Gary Cooke.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived