BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather a political bias BUT to all those that don't remember or aren't old enough to remember the mood of the nation and times that football was going through did cast English football supporters in a terrible light. The nation really was sickened by the events quoted from that article below along and with very many more......

"The year after Orgreave, Millwall fans rioted at Luton. There was a major disturbance at the Birmingham v Leeds match at St. Andrews. The Heysel Stadium tragedy occurred. The government initiated a debate about I.D cards and the return of the Short, Sharp Shock (literally; there was brief support for electrified fences at football matches.) Football supporters were demonised. We were only a year away from Italia 90,"

After the glorious years when English club football ruled supreme in Europe we'd had all our teams banned from European competition for 3 years because of mindless hooliganism initially but culminating in the dramatically televised horrors of the appalling incidents in Heyshel Stadium. Something had to be done of that there was no doubt.

Very few references currently to the violence and hooliganism that followed England in every major tournament we played in in those times. Italia 90 was coming up fast with many opinions favouring England to be banned for fear of the consequences of fan violence. It was a terrible time to support football and if the government did indeed adopt a hard line approach it was totally justified and dare I say supported by the vast majority of the population.

Those young enough to only remember the Premier League can have no concept of what went before.

Be that as it may, Lord Justice Taylor found that the fans were not to blame for Hillsborough and that the main fault lay with the police.

He mad that finding in 1989!!!!!!

Anyone with a brain knew that the police and successive Governments have been playing for time for 23 years.

Be that as it may, Lord Justice Taylor found that the fans were not to blame for Hillsborough and that the main fault lay with the police.

He mad that finding in 1989!!!!!!

Anyone with a brain knew that the police and successive Governments have been playing for time for 23 years.

Anyone with a brain who had read the report would remember that Taylor also said in the same report that 'the situation was made worse by a drunken minority' of fans. We all know now that was impossible don't we? There have been numerous inaccuracies from the start so which bits do you want to cherry pick next?

Anyone with a brain who had read the report would remember that Taylor also said in the same report that 'the situation was made worse by a drunken minority' of fans. We all know now that was impossible don't we? There have been numerous inaccuracies from the start so which bits do you want to cherry pick next?

Cherry picking? That the police were mainly responsible was his key finding! And a lot more has come out since 1989.

thenodrog, would it not be more appropriate to admit you're wrong and were being uneccessarily obnoxious rather than posting a succession of 'but but but the officials said,but but but back in the day' comments. I know you're a bit of an internet big man on this site, fair play, you've been posting for longer and following the club for longer than most. That's great. But don't mug yourself to save face on a message board. What you posted originally was short sighted and tasteless at best. Don't play the fool or act the wind up merchant just to score cheap digs. It's utterly undignified.

Like the vast majority of the country it turns out that I was duped from numerous accepted respected and reliable sources into believing the official line. The police, the FA, the Home office, the media and press both popular and the broadsheets have largely presented a unified front for a generation. Not only that but I am without a doubt guilty of pre-judging this issue based on my experience of football crowds over more years than I care to remember. Many on here will not remember the football violence of the 70's and 80's, the staged and organised violence perpetrated by a violent but significant number, the pitch invasions, the football special trains wrecked by hooligans, the orchestrated 'meets', the various 'firms' ... inter city firm, the headhunters, F Troop, Suicide squad et al. Notoriety achieved by the likes of Leeds fans, NUFC, Sheff Utd, Tottenham, both Glasgow clubs etc all intent on outdoing each other in fact just about every club had their seemingly uncontrollable hooligan element. I rem numerous fan deaths over the years...from a Millwall fan stabbed to death in Liverpool (FA Cup tie with Everton) way back in the early 70's, a Forest fan killed at Burnley. BRFC fans too were implicated in a death at Carlisle. We all rail against body searches but is it any wonder when stabbing's, bottlings, 'stripings' became frequent whilst random attacks on crowds with the likes of bricks, ball bearings/catapults, and even darts were reported regularly. We ourselves have seen situations at Ewood involving the likes of LUFC fans and relatively recently issues with NUFC, Man City and Celtic where the Police have opened the gates and allowed many ticketless fans unofficial entry into the Ewood Park 'pen' rather than attempt to prevent incidents and violence in the surrounding areas. The events at Heysal appear to have been forgotten this week but maybe the 'dog' in question was given or rather 'earned' it's bad name way back then?

Seems there were a lot of people on here trapping up now who knew the truth all the time. This despite a number of incorrect verdicts, despite the numerous inquests, despite inquiry after inquiry, despite police statement after police statement, despite judicial reviews under different governments. How they knew in the face of such apparently respected and informed opinion I've no idea but I'd like to congratulate them all.

You might have been duped but I wasn't . The gutter press tell lies ? Well I never ! The police fabricate evidence ? I don't believe it ! The judiciary follow the establishment line ? You can't mean that ! That's what comes of reading the Daily Mail.

You want my opinion Stuart then read the previous post to the one you quoted. The one you quoted was simply in retort to an insult and a wind up from Pedro.

Just to clear things up, it wasn't a wind up, far from it; I am genuinely disgusted with your views on Hillsborough.

Your thoughts and blame pushing reeked of the same smarm that you often post on here (when you try to come across like some kind of all-seeing oracle - believe me, you are not). You had the idiocy to believe that view, the arrogance to type it, and the total lack of respect to (in hindsight) imply you meant something otherwise. For that, you deserved the verbal arse slapping I gave you, and are now getting off other, proper football fans.

Just to clear things up, it wasn't a wind up, far from it; I am genuinely disgusted with your views on Hillsborough.

Your thoughts and blame pushing reeked of the same smarm that you often post on here (when you try to come across like some kind of all-seeing oracle - believe me, you are not). You had the idiocy to believe that view, the arrogance to type it, and the total lack of respect to (in hindsight) imply you meant something otherwise. For that, you deserved the verbal arse slapping I gave you, and are now getting off other, proper football fans.

Why are you whispering?

Why have Tottenham chosen to copy our halved shirts the season after we aren't in the Prem?

Because it's Tottenham and they've always tried to emulate us.

519672841a4358192725b118697283l.jpg

"Puma also designed the club's 125th anniversary kit (worn once only) which was based on Spurs' 1884 colours, originally adopted as a tribute to the great Blackburn Rovers team."

I think they watched one of our FA Cup finals once and were really impressed.

Nowadays, they wanted their team to include Friedel, Samba, Nelsen, Jones, Bentley, Pedersen and Hoilett.

I must say AVB appears to have got his team into a high level of fitness. They don't appear to have an ounce of spare flesh on them (I haven't seen Huddleston yet mind) and whether it's their strip or not appear to have spent some time on the weights. One or two of Readings players looked overweight and out of condition in comparison. Talent and ability in a professional player costs a fortune whilst fitness costs nothing and will complement and improve the former.

Is Suarez the biggest, most cynical cheat in football?

yes!

he'd pee me off if i was a Liverpool fan (ergh!). There was one occasions when he was whinging to the ref for a foul outside box, he'd not give it and the ball got crossed into the box where Suarez should've been except he was still whinging.

I dont really know what to think of this:

Shelvey was sent off 38:58. 3+5 = 9, 8+8 = 6. 96.

Gerrard scores, 45:51. 4+5 = 9. 5+1 =6. 96.

Rafael scores, 51:45. 5+4 = 9. 1+5 = 6. 96.

RVP scores, 80:16. 8+1 = 9. 0+6 = 6. 96.

Archived