BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Murphy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if we'd have been bottom then it wouldn't have mattered?

I think he was writing to me.... but missed the irony in my post to you. I may be wrong.

I guess the general point is not to get too carried away with league tables at this time, but to look a little deeper into the performances and manner of results achieved!

I think he was writing to me.... but missed the irony in my post to you. I may be wrong.

I guess the general point is not to get too carried away with league tables at this time, but to look a little deeper into the performances and manner of results achieved!

In terms of promotion 2 points a game is the target but fully agree it could have been so different. Luckily the difference is this year that teams arent as clinical as theyare in the prem so poor defending and individual mistakes havent been punished. Thankfully for us.

In terms of promotion 2 points a game is the target but fully agree it could have been so different. Luckily the difference is this year that teams arent as clinical as theyare in the prem so poor defending and individual mistakes havent been punished. Thankfully for us.

You are quite right BE. Thankfully the quality of final ball and finishing is much lower at this standard than in the Premier League. I don't think many would argue that we would have played four and lost four in the PL if performing how we have done to date. I have to say I am missing us playing at that level. The Championship is a very poor second best for me.

That's largely down to our midfield being overun and players not giving him any options, I have noticed that when Ruben is on the pitch (who is also clever player) Murphy is more effective because Ruben gets into positions where Murphy can pass to him.

This.....and one of the main reasons Rochina needs to start before Gomes comes on.

The problem is, he is on a different wavelength to our other players. At Fulham, he had the class of dembele and dempsey to pick out. The would find pockets of space and Murphy would find them with a pass. At rovers, pedersen and formica are so immobile so there's a limit to what he can do.

He'll turn out to be a good signing, I've no doubt about that.

Also this and like others have pointed out it's only been 4 games.

5 years ago would have been a great signing.

I believe we could have had Charlie Adam for similar money. I know who my preference would have been.

I highly doubt he would have dropped down a division....couldn't see it when pretty much all bottom half teams would be interested.

I thought he was decent against leicester

Agreed.

I was laughed at when I suggested Rovers should go for Robert Snodgrass - "£8m for a Championship player, Venkys never ...he won't come to a Champship club (not for £40k a week?) but I reckon he'd've been better value than Murphy & Rhodes combined

We need wingers with pace.....Snodgrass wouldn't really be an improvement on Vukcevic.

Having now seen recordings of all the games, every minute except 35 at Leeds really has been "blimey we are rubbish and getting away with murder here".

Against Ipswich we could easily have gone 2-0 up - Hull was just a dire match which we just about deserved to win - Leicester deserved to win on the balance of play, but we still had periods of decent play - Leeds, played them off the park for over 35 mins and should have been out of sight. So I would disagree that we have been totally awful.

Some would argue that the defence (until Saturday) had done a great job making up for the midfield failings - that Robinson (again until Saturday) had shown premiership class - and most importantly that our players had shown class when it mattered in scoring goals.

I never expected us to start the season well (in terms of performance) - we have a totally new central midfield - new strikers etc - and we are playing in a new division. I remember last time we were relegated - how we struggled to adapt to being the team that everyone wanted to beat and ran their socks off against, where challenges went unpunished etc etc That time we didn't play well - or get results - and confidence suffered. This time we are getting results - and you could argue that the confidence is starting to return - though by the second half against Leeds still fragile.

This is going to be a 46 game slog - even under Souness when we got promoted we struggled at times and the results often outweighed the performances.

As many have commented - Venky's have gambled heavily on us getting promoted - even with Kean at the helm I would prefer to see us promoted than see the financial after effects next season if we aren't.

This.....and one of the main reasons Rochina needs to start before Gomes comes on.

Apart from Ipswich, Gomes has been pretty impressive. The advantage he gives us over Rochina is not only his ability to finish, but the fact that he is able to bring in the players around him. Because Rochina is reluctant to pass he fails to do this. The link up play of Gomes is vital if we are to get the best out of Rhodes, particularly if Kazim-Richards is going to play on the right. On Saturday Rochina had opportunities to play in colleagues in better positions than himself but instead chose to shoot from long range and the shots were pretty woeful. He has technique but isn't a team player at the moment.

Apart from Ipswich, Gomes has been pretty impressive. The advantage he gives us over Rochina is not only his ability to finish, but the fact that he is able to bring in the players around him. Because Rochina is reluctant to pass he fails to do this. The link up play of Gomes is vital if we are to get the best out of Rhodes, particularly if Kazim-Richards is going to play on the right. On Saturday Rochina had opportunities to play in colleagues in better positions than himself but instead chose to shoot from long range and the shots were pretty woeful. He has technique but isn't a team player at the moment.

Gomez first touch and awareness was great first half on Saturday, trouble is he was thinking half a yard ahead of everyone else at times but you could see his class.

On Saturday Rochina had opportunities to play in colleagues in better positions than himself but instead chose to shoot from long range and the shots were pretty woeful.

Twice. Every other player gave the ball way with bad passes more than that.

I rather see someone have a shot at goal, even if it goes wide, than give the ball away due to a poor pass.

Twice. Every other player gave the ball way with bad passes more than that.

I rather see someone have a shot at goal, even if it goes wide, than give the ball away due to a poor pass.

Fair enough to shoot but this lad tries it from 30 yards or more when a pass could put another player in a far better situation. At the moment he simply isn't aware of what is around him whereas Gomes sees the whole game which, in fairness, you would expect from an experienced international.

Fair enough to shoot but this lad tries it from 30 yards or more when a pass could put another player in a far better situation. At the moment he simply isn't aware of what is around him whereas Gomes sees the whole game which, in fairness, you would expect from an experienced international.

And that's where a half decent manager would point him in the right direction as Souness did with Matt Jansen.

Gomez first touch and awareness was great first half on Saturday, trouble is he was thinking half a yard ahead of everyone else at times but you could see his class.

So if and when Venkys parts ways with Kean, I should consider getting a Gomez shirt?

I'm struggling to identify with anyone on the squad nowadays.

So if and when Venkys parts ways with Kean, I should consider getting a Gomez shirt?

I'm struggling to identify with anyone on the squad nowadays.

I'd probably hold off on the shirt for a bit lol You never know one of these Portugese wonder kids may turn out to be a shirt worthy name in the future. Then again maybe not :)

I've given up on this.

Friedal, Ollson etc, people will mis-spell the simplest of names. Doesn't even matter that with the correct pronunciation it's clear that there is no Z in Gomes.

Some of us in haste may get confused with the spelling of all the changing foreign names in the squad. Also some of us in haste may occasionally hit the wrong key. However when i get around to finding time for my long overdue spelling and punctuation lesson i'll be sure to give you a call :)

Anyway back to Murphy. He struggled with pace of the game on saturday and was totally knackered after 60 mins, not a good sign but maybe he was carrying a knock or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead

He's been appalling so far. Looks slow, off the pace and he just can't do all the things which are supposedly his strengths.

I think a change of manager could sort him out, but I'm not holding my breath on either.

He's playing 30 yards too high up the pitch, he's far old to play that role. He should be in front of the back four, dictating play and setting the tempo.

He should play how Scholes does, or how we used Tugay in his later years. Let Etuhu do the box-to-box stuff.

I still think he'd be a great asset to us in the right set up, but in the role he's playing now Dunn would probably be better.

I take it certain people just never saw much of him for Fulham then.....if they didn't then fair enough.

He was one of the best players outside of the top 6/7 last season, no question.

As has been stated before it's easier trying to pick out the likes of Dembele, Dempsey and Duff than Lowe, Pedersen and Formica on the wings and standing behind an opposition player.

Archived