BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton v Rovers

Eddie

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fairly happy with the point.. the side was bound to be utterly disjointed.. was literally a case of Kean walking out the night before a match, so tactics and all match planning will of already been done with little or no time to change things and without a doubt no time to change the squad.

I disagree with the comments about our squad being poor... allot of it imo is down to the Kean regime, and it will take time to get back on track, we had the usual lack of motivation, fitness issues, tactical ineptitude, players out of position and as ever failed to play to our strengths and their weaknesses.

Lets get the new manager in, give him a few weeks (fitness regimes will take time) to get things ticking and see how things go from there.. at least for the next few games we will have some of the players frozen out by kean back in the squads.

Murphy has been dire, he is captain and supposed to lead by example. Apart from that he didn't even acknowledge the fans at the end.

Anyway, I'd of rather seen Nunes on the wing today, he showed signs of class the other week and will need time, but I'm sure he'd of done more than peds/Lowe.

Midfield is lacking any kind of real attack. Think I'd of gone Formica -> Murphy, Nunes -> Pedersen & Rochina -> Lowe.

On the evidence of yet another woeful display we are clearly in need of a manager who can get a bunch of individuals to actually play as a team. I suspect any new manager is going to want money to replace some of the players that have been signed over the past 22 months. At the moment there is no pace anywhere in the team. The midfield is simply dreadful while a new right-back is urgently required. Nuno Gomes is, at times, simply on a different wavelength to many of the plodders around him while Rhodes obviously needs service as he lacks the pace to be a threat on his own. Today, Robinson gained us a point as Charlton were the far better side once they had equalised. It shows just how poor this division is that we can still be within a point of top when we are playing so poorly. I thought today was another very disappointing performance.

Poor squad? Poor team selections maybe, we have, in my opinion, arguably the strongest squad in the division.

Robinson, Dann, Givet, Martin Olsson, Pedersen, Etuhu, Murphy, Kazim, Dunn, Rhodes, Gomes, Best, Formica, Vukcevic and Rochina would all get into most Championship starting XI's. Whether they're used properly is a different question entirely, but I maintain that, man for man, we have a very decent squad for this level.

How many players in this division are better than:

Robinson in goal?

Givet at centre back?

Olsson at left back?

Etuhu or Murphy in centre midfield?

Kazim-Richards on the wing?

Rhodes, Gomes, Best up front?

And I don't mean list individuals from across the championship who individually might be better than any given player I listed but instead are those not in the top five to ten in their position each?

Then we've got players like Formica, Vukcevic, Rochina, Dunn who can give a creative spark at Championship level and the likes of; Ribeiro, Hanley Henley, Orr and Pedersen are solid at Championship level.

Of course our fans have always had their scapegoats and players that must be the worst in the division (the stick Wilcox used to get for example) but people saying we have a weak squad are, frankly, being ridiculous.

With reference to midfield I think our main problem this season is that Murphy has been so downright poor.

I think Etuhu has looked extremely impressive by and large, but as good as he's been, Murphy has been even worse.

Surprising because Fulham fans seem to rate him very highly.

Get some sort of tune out of Murphy and we'd look a lot better.

In the wider positions Pedersen has been pretty awful so no change or surprise there but Nunes has started to look quite promising.

On the right hand side, CKR has looked OK and Vukcevic could be drafted in. We also have a multitude of players you would have thought could play more centrally just behind Rhodes. Gomes, Rochina, Formica, Dunn etc etc. Don't know anything about Rosado.

So get some half decent performances out of Murphy and a bit of imagination and I can't see any reason at all why we wouldn't be o.k.

Archived