BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton v Rovers

Eddie

Considering the current ongoings it is quite likely that most will have forgotten that we play Charlton this Saturday, but, believe it or not, we do actually have a game of football this weekend.

I have to admit that this was the first match I looked for when the fixture list came out. For several years, for one reason or another, I have used games at the Valley as an opportunity to convert non-believers, albeit with mixed results. I was much looking forward to getting back to the ground and maybe bringing one or two along with me, but then my cousin had to pick Saturday as her wedding day, so unfortunately that one took the backseat, though the match still provides me with an excellent opportunity to look back through memory lean.

Friedel Scores...Rovers Lose (21/2/2004)

I had just flown to San Francisco with three friends of mine and convinced them that finding a bar that would show the game would be the best way to fight the jet-lag. After hiking halfway around the city and having mixed success with some badly altered IDs we finally found the place. For a long time it looked like a terrible decision, but then in injury time Friedel went up for a corner and leveled things up for Rovers. The Americans loved it, but the joy was short-lived, as moments later Claus Jensen grabbed the winner for Charlton.

Cup Fightback (30/11/2005)

My first trip to the Valley and I managed to convince three housemates that the trip to London and cheap cup tickets was something that we couldn't turn down. It was cold, it was miserable and until the 75th minute it was looking as though I might be killed on the journey home, but then everything changed. Rovers had played poorly and were down 2-0, but on came Kuqi and the substitute pulled one back. It wasn't a pretty goal, but it at least provided hope. A few minutes later David Thompson produced a 30 yard stunner that, at the time at least, felt like the greatest goal ever scored. There weren't many Rovers fans there, but the away stand was, to some extent at least, somewhat rocking and it was all capped off when David Bentley scored (I think it may have been his first goal for the club) and then proceeded to jump into the stands right where we were sitting. The three friends that I was with were immediately converted and thought that football was the greatest thing on earth.

Curbishley Steps Down as Rovers Push for Europe (29/4/2006)

This time the sun was shining and hopes were high. Rovers were rounding off a great campaign that had seen them in and around the top 6 for months. We started brightly and deservedly took the lead when Steven Reid scored just before half-time and doubled our advantage in the second half thanks to an own goal. The mood in the ground was somewhat subdued as the announcement that Curbishley would be leaving the club had only been made just before kick-off, but even as a Rovers fan it was still nice to stay behind after the match and watch him do his lap of honour. From that moment on Charlton have struggled and their change in fortunes was always a worrying sign of what could easily happen to Rovers.

The following year Charlton were relegated after running through three managers in the space of only a few months. They failed to bounce straight back up and the following year they would slip into the third tier of English football. Looking back, it truly is one of the largest collapses in recent years and it does show just how important it is that we get back into the Premier League at the first time of asking.

They won League One last year after being top for virtually the entire season, something that I was happy to see and it does look as though Chris Powell is one of the better examples of a former player taking over as manager. They currently sit 18th in the table after a run of three straight defeats slowed a good start to the season. They won at the weekend against Ipswich and that result, along with a win against Leicester and a draw with Hull, are indicators that they will provide a relatively tough test for Steve Kean's side.

They were also extremely active this summer, particularly when it came to strengthening their frontline, although, whereas Rovers spent big, Charlton relied almost exclusively on free signings and loans. They don't exactly have a star-studded line-up, but they do have Ricardo Fuller and I never like seeing him play against us.

Charlton Last 5 Games:

DLLLW

With the future of the manager seemingly hanging in the balance it is pretty difficult to make predictions for this one. If he does go, which at the moment seems to be likely, then all indications are that Erick Black will be in charge for this one. It is hard to tell if he would make many changes to the team, he certainly wouldn't have much time, but hopefully we won't have to see Steve Kean on the touchline for this one.

I'll be busy checking my phone throughout the wedding, so hopefully this Saturday will see a new (caretaker) manager and three more points.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Good preview, thanks.

If Kean is still in charge we'll lose. Our recent "streak" was us playing with confidence and momentum, imagine how we'll play now that's been dented?

With a new person in charge we'll still struggle. If it's Eric Black I still think we'll lose as his influence must surely to an extent already be present in the squad. If it's a different manager entirely we could pick up a win, though it's difficult to say how long it will take to undo the damage Kean has done to the squad in terms of fitness and overall play.

We'll soon find out whether or not the players are behind Kean after all the weekend's speculation. (Bearing in mind also this is by and large a new team signed by him)

If they're behind him they should put in a top notch performance. If not they'll turn in another Boro like display.

We'll soon find out whether or not the players are behind Kean after all the weekend's speculation. (Bearing in mind also this is by and large a new team signed by him)

If they're behind him they should put in a top notch performance. If not they'll turn in another Boro like display.

Apart from forty minutes at Leeds Rev we've yet to see a top notch performance this season! After the way Vukcevic played for the Reserves last night I'm hoping that Kean will include him in the starting eleven but Kean being Kean I suspect Vukcevic will be nowhere to be seen.

Apart from forty minutes at Leeds Rev we've yet to see a top notch performance this season! After the way Vukcevic played for the Reserves last night I'm hoping that Kean will include him in the starting eleven but Kean being Kean I suspect Vukcevic will be nowhere to be seen.

Interesting Parson. In my view we have/have had a seam of underutilised talent in the Club such as Vukcevic/Rochina and I would even have included Petrovic in that.

Players like that need a consistent run of nine or ten games in the side imo. It's unrealistic to give them twenty minutes or the odd game here and there and expect them to perform like George Best knowing that if they fail to perform they'll be dropped again after just one game.

Morten Gamst Pedersen has had four seasons and still hasn't got the hang of it yet. :wacko:

I remember that Charlton goal and the 30 seconds after it very fondly. Really felt for him when they went back down the other end and our defence backed off to allow them to put one in the top corner.

I was at the Curbishley resignation game and it was one of the bizarrest atmosphere's I'd ever experienced.

I think we'll have the firepower to scramble a point but I don't expect us to play well. 2-2

My wrist stillsuffers from the game in the preview. I remember punching the wall when they scored,resulting in a broken wrist, arm and severed wrist ligaments.Two days or so before i went to USA to watch my Broncos.

I never want us to lose but this once id let the team take one if it meant bellend getting potted.

20-0 charlton.

Hoping to see a win but will settle for a point here and a point at Forest. If Kean is going in the near future we simply can't afford to be dropping too many points while we await a new manager being installed. It will present the owners with an interesting problem if we play well in these next two matches and win them both. Perhaps it's not likely, but if it were to happen it would be interesting to see what they would do. By their indecision the owners have got themselves in a classic Catch-22 situation. We need to win at Charlton and get something at Forest if we are hoping to get promotion - and it's clear from a financial point of view that has to happen - and yet two good results combined with good performances will make it more difficult to get rid of the manager.

I'm friendly with one of the Charlton players so going to this one despite despising everything about the regime.

As a result I should have the opportunity to get within close quarters to Kean. Trying to think what to say/do without getting myself/him in any kind of trouble. Suggestions welcome on how to merk the maggot are extremely welcome.

Archived