BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been my 1st choice by a mile for ages but i didn't think he would be too interested in joining, if he is interested he should definitely be in the top 3 of anybodys shortlist i'd have thought.

i think like mark hughes, Solskjaer would only come if he could bring his coaching team with him(which are mostly all very good ex-man u coaches), so this could be expensive and go against him(unless all their contracts are nearing an end)..

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poyet is easily head and shoulders above Di Canio wouldnt you say? Then you have people like Solskjaer as well as Karl Robinson too along the same lines as Di Canio if not better. No "outstanding" option from the younger ones IMO.

I was talking realistic as I don't think we'd have a chance of getting Poyet. OGS - not convinced he'd turn down a bigger, Prem club and then join Rovers in the Championship (with crackpot owners) only months later - as much as it would be a good choice I just don't see it happening. Robinson - doing well but does he have the reputation in the game and the name to attract players that Di Canio has? No.

Schuster would be a great signing though if we could get him but I just can't see managers of that calibre as realistic.

I'm sure they joined OGS at the same time and all their contracts would come to an end.

Mark Dempsey his No2 Ex Manc Youth coach joined Nov 2010

Richard Hartis as above. ?mark hanging over Mimms if he does.

Probably right, would be available with OGS

OGS would guarantee some top loan deals from SAF

If there is any chance of Solskjær, they should push the boat out!

As mentioned he ticks all the right boxes:

- Young and progressive

- Very competent backroom team (Ex-United) including fitness coach.

- Knows the area (Family would settle)

- Plays attractive football.

- Well respected and well known in the football world.

- Very good at man management

I was a bit sceptical when he started out his manager career if he would have the toughness as a manager given his nice guy image. I underestimated how determined he is as an individual, and that gave him a marvellous career as a player without having natural physical ability. That will also give him a great career as manager.

Some part of me can see him coming as the closeness to Manchester is a draw. Solbakken being manager at Wolves probably helps our chances as it would seem more "acceptable" to manage in the Championship. Still I think it is quite unlikely and he would probably be quite expensive as well

I only worry whether OGS would stick it out longer than a couple of years if even a mid-table PL side came for him afterwards. He may be too "big" an up and coming name for us offering no medium-term security. Wouldnt you agree?

In the past I would have agreed, but these days there isn't that job security. If a quality manager came in and got Rovers promoted but then decided to leave pretty much straight after I wouldn't complain.

OGS - not convinced he'd turn down a bigger, Prem club and then join Rovers in the Championship (with crackpot owners) only months later

Nobody he knows he did turn Villa down. He was probably just on the shortlist (like Martinez and Liverpool). The BBC don't usually report something as the main story unless they're sure it's true anyway.

If it is true then he has to be our number one choice. He's a big name, he's young, he's already proven himself to be talented, he's not a nazi. He ticks every box.

I only worry whether OGS would stick it out longer than a couple of years if even a mid-table PL side came for him afterwards. He may be too "big" an up and coming name for us offering no medium-term security. Wouldnt you agree?

Doesn't matter a bit. Any manager with an ounce of ambition would leave after a couple of years if a bigger job came along. If he did move to a bigger club then that would mean he had done a gone job.

Two years would be a decent stint for a manager anyway, certainly not abnormally short.

As others have said, it seems the reasons Solskjaer didn't join Villa where mainly because of how he was approached and not wanting to uproot his family to birmingham at that point.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19806122? watch the vid.

I really hope there's something in this as he really does tick all the boxes and their hasn't been anybody else mentioned thats come close to that for me.

Doesn't matter a bit. Any manager with an ounce of ambition would leave after a couple of years if a bigger job came along. If he did move to a bigger club then that would mean he had done a gone job.

In most cases, if a manager exits for a bigger club then chances are he's left behind a good job. That's why I always found it weird that we turned down Michael Laudrup for that reason.

Or was it cause he was foreign? There I said it.

In most cases, if a manager exits for a bigger club then chances are he's left behind a good job. That's why I always found it weird that we turned down Michael Laudrup for that reason.

Welcome back bud!

Ah but without that decision, we wouldn't have ended up with Sam Allardyce.

So in that sense it was worth it.

As others have said, it seems the reasons Solskjaer didn't join Villa where mainly because of how he was approached and not wanting to uproot his family to birmingham at that point.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...tball/19806122? watch the vid.

I really hope there's something in this as he really does tick all the boxes and their hasn't been anybody else mentioned thats come close to that for me.

Just read the LT article where those immortal words from Shebby ''TRUST US'' come back into play.These morons really do think they can gloss over the last 2 years don't they??

However i read it and then did a double take......''or to see if we already have our next manager''!!!!!!!

Please god tell me that we aren't about to go with Eric Black as the zero cost option. It just smacked of Shebby just positioning it .If Black gets a couple of decent results this week i can just see a ''he has the respect of the players and it stabilises the team and the Club and i (Shebby ) will over see the football side in my role as global adviser''

Be warned Venky's -any stunts like that and the kean protests will seem like a tea party!!

Bit of a strange one if it's wrong though. If they'd said Shearer or Sherwood had applied and it turned it out to be wrong, you could understand something like that being invented. But Bernd Schuster? Can't see anyone making that up.

Am I right in thinking Schuster has been linked with us in the past? Obviously we were a mid=table prem team then if he has.....he's managed Levante and Getafe in the past who were in a similar position to what we used to be.....he's been out of work since 2011 though, so not that he's desperate but maybe he's willing to drop down to the C'ship if he wants to work over here.

i thought solskjær would never happen because he has previously said he would only consider taking on a premier league club, but if representatives of him have contacted the club then it could happen.

he has done very good with regards to the results he has produced with molde, but thats not really what have impressed me the most. He has gotten involved in everything at the club, from academy to nutrition and the work etchics he has demanded from the team on training is what have produced results. This is a guy who during his active career had a diary and wrote down what sir alex did in what situation, what happened, how he and his teammates responded to different half time pep talks etc. He is so professional its almost ridiculous.

I have previously said that rovers will have an advantage over many other clubs due to the short distance from manchester, he can still live in his house in manchester and his family actually miss england.

Solskjær realized quite early he wanted to go into management, and he did it for the right reasons. On the opposite side you have Alan shearer who now wants to go into management because he miss being in the spotlight.

If solskjær wants to come here its a nobrainer imo. he demands alot from his players, himself and everyone involved in the club. would be a bit shocked if it happened

Really liking the sound of Solksjaer.....fits the profile of exactly who Venky's apparently want......if he is expensive I can see Venky's paying the money due to the added tv money.....we are the C'ship's biggest spenders after all.

Just read the LT article where those immortal words from Shebby ''TRUST US'' come back into play.These morons really do think they can gloss over the last 2 years don't they??

However i read it and then did a double take......''or to see if we already have our next manager''!!!!!!!

Please god tell me that we aren't about to go with Eric Black as the zero cost option. It just smacked of Shebby just positioning it .If Black gets a couple of decent results this week i can just see a ''he has the respect of the players and it stabilises the team and the Club and i (Shebby ) will over see the football side in my role as global adviser''

Be warned Venky's -any stunts like that and the kean protests will seem like a tea party!!

Shebby Singh only joined in June, and in his own words he was recruited to bring Blackburn Rovers back to the Premier League. In essence the owers have left the runing of the club to him. Now I'm not pro-Shebby as much as I like the guy, but it's unfair to lump him together with the two years when he wasn't there. Plus he did make a few good calls in the transfer window - Nuno Gomes and Jordan Rhodes come to mind. If he is looking for a new manager, he'll look for a good one. But he can't just say "Sorry, Eric Black, you ain't getting the job after these 2 games".

I think what makes us a relatively attractive proposition for Solskjær is the fact that he can go back to living in Manchester with his wife and kids - they won't have to set up a totally new base like they would have in Birmingham. It hasn't been that long since they left England so going back wouldn't be a massive transition. I think he has the makings of becoming a top manager, and he has learnt his trade from the best in Alex Ferguson, as well as having a couple of seasons in charge of Molde after coaching the ManU ressies. He's a positive and enthusiastic character that would bring some much needed enthusiasm to the fans and players of this football club.

I wouldn't mind Bern Schuster or Christoph Daum either, I'd actually be pretty ecstatic if either were to take the job. Happy to see some exciting names being thrown into the hat. :)

Archived