BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Booing Players

a question for you braddock. Given the fact that you have been on a long crusade, where you´ve constantly berated and critisized your fellow fans, how do you see your own contribution when it comes to unity.?

I have a hard time taking your OP seriously. Its beyond hypocritical. Here we have a person who blasts his fellow fans and has the nerve to critisize them for blasting the players. Then you say others are being too quick to judge and in general are too judgemental, but thats the exact same way you are towards your fellow fans. It doesnt make sense.

My own contribution? I have not added to the negativity and have attempted to change a few peoples minds on this hole that brainless booing is not the answer to our problems. An incredibly minor contribution but certainly in no way damaging to the club.

Quick to judge doesn't come into account when it's been going on for years.

I don't understand why it doesn't make sense to point out the mistakes of others more than things that are actually beyond my control in terms of influence, especially given the things out of my control have enough cheerleaders on here.

It's almost a valid point (that the original poster is making).

...but due to who posted it, and their previous track record of posting purely to wind up Rovers fans, it's difficult to take it even slightly serious.

It's a shame that's the way you look at things. A valid point is a valid point.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
braddock

My own contribution? I have not added to the negativity and have attempted to change a few peoples minds on this hole that brainless booing is not the answer to our problems

you cant even complete a sentence without being hypocritical, you havent been negative and here you are calling fellow fans brainless.

I don't understand why it doesn't make sense to point out the mistakes of others

haha seriously.??? Then why the Kean do you complain, when fans complain about the players. Not only hypocritical, but you cant even agree wtih yourself. Quite impressive :)

its quite simple, you are frustrated by some fans and attack them, some fans are frustrated by the players and attack them. So braddosk, You arent any better then the "brainless booing muthaKeana in the stands".

I don't think braddock is making himself out to be better than anyone here, he's just playing the role of the villain to get us united and behind the team. If he has to be seen as a hypocrite to do it, he will do it, because Blackburn Rovers is more important to him than his reputation.

I don't think braddock is making himself out to be better than anyone here, he's just playing the role of the villain to get us united and behind the team. If he has to be seen as a hypocrite to do it, he will do it, because Blackburn Rovers is more important to him than his reputation.

mission accomplished then

you cant even complete a sentence without being hypocritical, you havent been negative and here you are calling fellow fans brainless.

haha seriously.??? Then why the Kean do you complain, when fans complain about the players. Not only hypocritical, but you cant even agree wtih yourself. Quite impressive :)

its quite simple, you are frustrated by some fans and attack them, some fans are frustrated by the players and attack them. So braddosk, You arent any better then the "brainless booing muthaKeana in the stands".

For the first point I said brainless booing, not brainless fans. Though we do have some fans who are brainless, as all clubs do. Not all booing is brainless either (half time booing when we are performing very poor or full time after a very poor display, for example), so I merely stated I was talking about brainless booing.

As for the second point, there is a big difference between booing a player in person whenever they get the ball whilst at a game which has the potential to have a direct influence on proceedings in a negative way, and poitning this out on a messageboard in order to attempt to influence some of the booers away from this booing, hopefully having them them consider their actions fully before doing it again.

And as mentioned above, I'm not too bothered at all about how I'm perceived, particularly as anonymity is a wonderful thing. I've probably walked past quite a few of you and you were none the wiser. Nor of course was I. Just the way I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Booing players? Pointless debating it. It's always happened and always will. Players must have the strength of character to concentrate on their game and show the fans they're wrong. If they don't have that strength of character in the first place, they'll struggle in the game. Football can be a harsh business.

Booing players? Pointless debating it. It's always happened and always will. Players must have the strength of character to concentrate on their game and show the fans they're wrong. If they don't have that strength of character in the first place, they'll struggle in the game. Football can be a harsh business.

Correct. It always amazes me that 70,000 away fans can boo our players regularly and we fully expect them to cope, whilst a few home fans booing results in our players going all weak kneed and trembly.

Correct. It always amazes me that 70,000 away fans can boo our players regularly and we fully expect them to cope, whilst a few home fans booing results in our players going all weak kneed and trembly.

But surely the psychology of it is more complicated than that. Players expect away fans to boo them and can ignore it because they have no emotional connection, desire to impress, trust or mutual appreciation to those fans. If thats what the relationship the boo boys want our players to have with us, then maybe they are right to expect their behaviour to have no effect. But I suspect no fan wants that relationship with their own players. We want our players to come over and clap us after games, throw things into the crowd on major victories, respond positively to our encouragement, praise us in the media. If you want those things then the least you have to give back is not to verbally abuse them when they're trying their best.

People might think I'm in some sort of fanclub for the guy but can't help but mention Pedersen again. The guy represents everything that 99% of modern footballers don't. Loyalty and genuine affection to the club, a great attitude and a refusal to criticise those who have for so long criticised him. Frankly his treatment over a number of years by our fans has been absolutely appalling and an utter disgrace.

But surely the psychology of it is more complicated than that. Players expect away fans to boo them and can ignore it because they have no emotional connection, desire to impress, trust or mutual appreciation to those fans. If thats what the relationship the boo boys want our players to have with us, then maybe they are right to expect their behaviour to have no effect. But I suspect no fan wants that relationship with their own players. We want our players to come over and clap us after games, throw things into the crowd on major victories, respond positively to our encouragement, praise us in the media. If you want those things then the least you have to give back is not to verbally abuse them when they're trying their best.

People might think I'm in some sort of fanclub for the guy but can't help but mention Pedersen again. The guy represents everything that 99% of modern footballers don't. Loyalty and genuine affection to the club, a great attitude and a refusal to criticise those who have for so long criticised him. Frankly his treatment over a number of years by our fans has been absolutely appalling and an utter disgrace.

Well said SKH. I don't disagree and am not advocating booing our own in anyway at anytime. I have never done that even when watching Ronnie Hildersley (yikes) and the like. And yes the treatment of MGP has been harsh, but mainly on message boards not on the field of play, unlike Andrews and others.

However should our own players feel a little hurt or put out by negative home fan reactions, that should be all the motivation they need to work harder and turn things round. It is not a suitable excuse for a lack of confidence, or poor performances and as Den has rightly said they need that inner self belief and confidence, summarised as strength of character to overcome it.

There are many players who have come in for criticism at Rovers over the years. Jim Branagan, Jimmy Quinn, Windy Millar, Bobby Svarc, Mark Atkins, Tim Sherwood, Keith Andrews, Jason Wilcox, Jason Roberts, Tim Sherwood to name but a few. A number of them showed the strength of character to overcome the boo boys.

It has always been this way. Fans boo, players either work harder and overcome it, or collapse and move on to less pressured environments.

But surely the psychology of it is more complicated than that. Players expect away fans to boo them and can ignore it because they have no emotional connection, desire to impress, trust or mutual appreciation to those fans.

Unfortunately recent events in Serbia disprove that comment.

There are many players who have come in for criticism at Rovers over the years. Jim Branagan, Jimmy Quinn, Windy Millar, Bobby Svarc, Mark Atkins, Tim Sherwood, Keith Andrews, Jason Wilcox, Jason Roberts, Tim Sherwood to name but a few.

The Sherwood twins?

To be fair Pedersen was looking around for a new club but only stayed because no one would give him as good a contract as us. I still like him as a person, but think he's not earns his wage in a long time. For 40k a week I could quite easily live with all 4 sides of a ground booing me for 90mins every so often.

If anyone wants to boo and call me names and give me 20 grand a week pm me . I think I can cope.

I'm sure you can cope but I don't imagine you'll perform at your best. Also the footballers haven't subscribed to this. This isn't the criteria for them getting paid and so they won't simply think 'it's either get booed or don't get paid and go back to a normal life'. They'll more likely underperform, not through choice, and eventually move on not before damaging the reputation of the club amongst those he knows in the game who will rightfully have sympathy for him. I wouldn't sign for a team where the fans booed players regularly.

Bumping this for tonights game. Let's see if the fans can behave themselves.

Booing Murphy is pathetic. Some people really need to grow up. MGP and Orr will be pleased the mob have found someone new to boo though.

The people who did boo Danny Murphy are small, pathetic people. If you dont like player then just ingore them. Not hard to do.

totally dont understand it booing your own players

Archived