BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just signed up.

To the people questioning the finances it seems pretty simple to me.................

If Venkys finally put us in Administration and there is no other potential buyer then the club will be LIQUIDATED. For the sake of a tenner I would rather have a backup plan in place if the worst happens. I would rather have a football club to watch in the lower leagues than no football club at all!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read it as the way Dan wrote it, that you couldn't do it through membership fees. Guess you're reading it as you want to read it rev.

+1

Post 701 is where it went wrong. Rev seems to think that Dan said the opposite of what he actually put.

+1

Rev, you seem to be trying to pick a fight. By highlighting only part of a sentence, you changed the whole context to suit your argument.

No-one thinks the Trust are going to have an easy time in all this but I'm prepared to back them. If you don't wish to back them, that's your choice but please stop trying to pooh-pooh their efforts.

For me the Trusts goal has to be part-ownership not full ownership but if the club does go pop, Rangers-style, then all eyes will be on the Trust to save the club or even prop up a Phoenix Club.

I read it as the way Dan wrote it, that you couldn't do it through membership fees. Guess you're reading it as you want to read it rev.

How did I misread?

Dan initially said: "Rovers Trust never envisaged running the club at a £3m monthly loss and it never has had the goal of raising the money required to obtain an ownership stake in the club or operate and support it via membership fees"

That statement also indicated that the money required to obtain an ownership stake in the Club and the "membership fees" were two separate things. I pointed out that was completely different from what from what Blackburn Ender said. Dan then changed his story and said the goal was full or part ownership "via membership fees"

How are you meant to read it?

Whether I misread it or not is arguing about semantics anyhow. Like the ridiculous argument last night about who said what to who and who asked who to do what between the Trust and BRAG.

Even if I've misread it, and the vehicle for acquisition of a stake in the Club is the pledges, my overall point remains the same as above.

How did I misread?

Dan initially said: "Rovers Trust never envisaged running the club at a £3m monthly loss and it never has had the goal of raising the money required to obtain an ownership stake in the club or operate and support it via membership fees"

You were meant to read it like I have corrected your highlighting. I realise it is a compound sentence, and I could have structured it better in hindsight.

As opposed to our owners and their lackeys who have no common sense at all. C'mn Eddie, which do you prefer?

...out of the frying pan.

I'll encourage any action that aims to sort the club out, but in reality any success for the Trust probably means that the club is in a disastrous financial position. Either the Trust is financially capable of running the club, which would mean that we had slipped down several divisions, or they would be involved in a situation that they are not fully prepared to deal with.

It seems to me that all the Trust can realistically become is a glorified Fans Forum.

I've just read the past few pages. This has led me to join RoversTrust.

Though I feel Ian Battersby and co are the best solution, if there is one.

I would hope that there would be room to include RoversTrust in any brave new world.

...out of the frying pan.

I'll encourage any action that aims to sort the club out, but in reality any success for the Trust probably means that the club is in a disastrous financial position. Either the Trust is financially capable of running the club, which would mean that we had slipped down several divisions, or they would be involved in a situation that they are not fully prepared to deal with.

It seems to me that all the Trust can realistically become is a glorified Fans Forum.

Harsh but true. The Trust only become a viable option when we've hit ground zero.

I'd prefer it if we avoided reaching ground zero altogether. Or anywhere near that

As a unified and coherent mouthpiece for the Fans however, the Trust could and should be excellent if they can avoid arguing over who's misread what and who's asked who to do what etc.

Is there no international law to actually hold Venkys responsible for their actions? A man who is responsible for a child is forced to pay child support for many many years without having any privileges with that child. Venkys should be ordered to keep funding the club until we have found a viable alternative, while having absolutely zero say in anything. They can't afford it, or refuse to do it? Haul them off in chains and throw them behind bars where they belong.

To answer Rev & Eddie a little more.

The Trust can try to act as a vehicle for ensuring the next owners are more competent and trustworthy.

We can vet potential buyers, make their intentions public (where possible) and engage with them to secure a real voice for supporters.

If the Trust is doing the talking and negotiating then we collectively and personally know quite a few very wealthy Rovers fans, plus Rovers fans who have access to potential high-level funding, all of whom under the right circumstances may be willing to invest significantly in a new ownership model.

If the Trust can match or better these sums through a £1,000 community share offer then we are in a very strong position from a financial, commercial, community, supporter and all round goodwill scenario for new owners who, we hope, will want us on side.

It is also possible, I concede, that new owners will be as arrogant and disinterested in the supporters as the current lot are, but at least we are fully up and running as a pressure group, ready for a fight and we will not let them get away with anything dodgy without kicking up a stink.

So yes, Rev & Eddie, it's not easy or straightforward, but if you want to continue to engage in the debate then at least put your £10 in and argue with us as members not empty keyboard naysayers.

If the Trust is doing the talking and negotiating then we collectively and personally know quite a few very wealthy Rovers fans, plus Rovers fans who have access to potential high-level funding, all of whom under the right circumstances may be willing to invest significantly in a new ownership model.

Like who?

To answer Rev & Eddie a little more.

The Trust can try to act as a vehicle for ensuring the next owners are more competent and trustworthy.

We can vet potential buyers, make their intentions public (where possible) and engage with them to secure a real voice for supporters.

If the Trust can match or better these sums through a £1,000 community share offer then we are in a very strong position from a financial, commercial, community, supporter and all round goodwill scenario for new owners who, we hope, will want us on side.

It is also possible, I concede, that new owners will be as arrogant and disinterested in the supporters as the current lot are, but at least we are fully up and running as a pressure group, ready for a fight and we will not let them get away with anything dodgy without kicking up a stink.

So yes, Rev & Eddie, it's not easy or straightforward, but if you want to continue to engage in the debate then at least put your £10 in and argue with us as members not empty keyboard naysayers.

Why should I send you £10 when I disagree strongly with the concept of the Trust having full or part ownership of the Club?

Everyone is frustrated by what's happened under Venky's but the situation seems to me to be one where the Supporters Trust wants to move from a situation whereby we have owners we don't like but who may be able and willing to financially support us through our current difficulties to one where we have owners we do like but who can't support us financially at any meaningful level.

And if as you claim there are a number of high net worth individuals or syndicates ready and willing to invest in the Club, why wouldn't they simply do it off their own back? Why the need to have a supporters trust as part owner at all?

If they then subsequently want to liaise closely with the Trust as a unified voice for the fans then fine. Ditto if they wanted to appoint a Trust member to the Board etc.

Why should I send you £10 when I disagree strongly with the concept of the Trust having full or part ownership of the Club?

Everyone is frustrated by what's happened under Venky's but the situation seems to me to be one where the Supporters Trust wants to move from a situation whereby we have owners we don't like but who may be able and willing to financially support us through our current difficulties to one where we have owners we do like but who can't support us financially at any meaningful level.

And if as you claim there are a number of high net worth individuals or syndicates ready and willing to invest in the Club, why wouldn't they simply do it off their own back? Why the need to have a supporters trust as part owner at all?

If they then subsequently want to liaise closely with the Trust as a unified voice for the fans then fine. Ditto if they wanted to appoint a Trust member to the Board etc.

Rev, I enjoy and respect reading your views, opinions and posts and understand totally your scepticism.

For what its worth, this is my personal take on why I eventually have decided to sign up to the Trust.

I don't think it's about whether or not you like or dislike The Rao's anymore. I for one wasn't dismayed when they originally bought the club, in fact encouraged to be perfectly honest. Even after the initial tub thumping nonsense, I thought they would have seen the errors of their ways and had the dignity to hold their hands up, admit that they had got it wrong, engaged with those that mattered and put a Board in place that protected our heritage, current status and future.

Unfortunately that never happened and would appear highly unlikely to do so either. We lurch from one embarrassment to another and have a Board of Directors who, with the exception of Karen Silk, couldn't run a kebab shop. This is further compounded by a Malaysian idiot who is allowed to run riot, unchecked.

As I have mentioned earlier in the thread, I do not believe the Trust alone to be our salvation. However, aligned to a body such as Seneca, there may be an alternative to the self destruct button as far as BRFC are concerned.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but what's the credible alternative?

What would I not give if Easter Monday brought a second salvation!

Forgive me if I'm wrong but what's the credible alternative?

Wealthy backers who aren't as bonkers as our current owners appear to be.

In the meantime no credible alternative is being put forward imo. The Supporters Trust haven't the finances to run the Club unless we fold and start over or drop to practically non League level in the natural scheme of things on the pitch.

Seneca are a reputable Company I'm sure but as a Finance Company based in Haydock I doubt they have the Finances to run the Club.We have no information whatsoever as to the identity of their backers or level of funding. If that were forthcoming the situation might look different. My scepticism about them mainly stems from the fact that they've been talking about getting involved for at least 12 months now.

Until a definite alternative comes forward that can fund us at the level we're at at worst, we have to go with the bonkers option and hope they'll continue to fund us.

Wealthy backers who aren't as bonkers as our current owners appear to be.

In the meantime no credible alternative is being put forward imo. The Supporters Trust haven't the finances to run the Club unless we fold and start over or drop to practically non League level in the natural scheme of things on the pitch.

Seneca are a reputable Company I'm sure but as a Finance Company based in Haydock I doubt they have the Finances to run the Club.We have no information whatsoever as to the identity of their backers or level of funding. If that were forthcoming the situation might look different. My scepticism about them mainly stems from the fact that they've been talking about getting involved for at least 12 months now.

Until a definite alternative comes forward that can fund us at the level we're at at worst, we have to go with the bonkers option and hope they'll continue to fund us.

On that note we'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.

Bet you reconsider in the not too distant future though. :glare::rover:

• Backroom

Is that a joke?....I refer you to my conversation with Grabko in the Currie and Battersby thread....Seneca on the face of it are skint.

Tbf, the idea is that Seneca would be the front for a consortium of backers, with the Rovers Trust having a share too. I'd back that over this lot.

Do we really want a situation where we have a consortium buying the club?

Do you really think an incredibly wealthy perspective buyer is going to let a random bunch of supporters vet them?

The Trust needs to be realistic about what they can possibly achieve. They are taking money and it seems to be that they might be selling people on some very unlikely scenarios. It's a supporters group that can be used to speak for the supporters as a whole in the attempt to influence how the club is run. It is unlikely that it will ever have that much influence and I hope that it isn't somehow planning to scrape together enough to buy the club.

This idea that it might one day be heavily involved in finding a new owner and in the day-to-day running of the club is unrealistic and, quite frankly, terrifying. I have no doubt that there are a ton of capable people involved in the Trust, but a big problem with how our club is currently run is that a lot of unqualified people are holding important positions. Caring about the club doesn't mean that you'll make the right decisions and that needs to be clear for everyone involved.

Tbf, the idea is that Seneca would be the front for a consortium of backers, with the Rovers Trust having a share too. I'd back that over this lot.

exactly Mike

I dont think anyone ever thought it was the Ians putting up the money to run the club and tbf they have never said that as far as i'm aware.They were bringing an Investor Group as far as i understood it.

Jesus, for the first time the prospect of Rovers fans trying to save the Club from oblivion, coupled with parhaps some fan involvement is the most promising thing in 3 yrs and already somebody is trying to discredit it .Some people must really enjoy the misery of it all

Archived