BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mark Hughes

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beginning to think Hughes was somewhat fortuitious in his time with us. First job after managing Wales so had very strong personal relationships with both Savagae and Bellamy, neither of who would have come near us but for him. Doesn't have such players to call on anymore. Then maybe he was just very very lucky in Samba and Nelsen falling into his lap. Nelsen had a trial at Charlton before us and they passed on him IRRC. Bentley seems to have been a one season wonder at just the right time, plus Souness had lost the plot but left a core of top players in Friedal, Tugay etc.

I loved the guy and was devastated when he left, but there must be a reason why he has underperformed in every job since.

I think he's a manager who needs time. Owners with big cheque books don't want to wait, but moreso fans of clubs with owners who have large chequebooks want to see success. Even if they aren't vocal about it, that pressure is always there - exacerbated by the media.

At a club like Rovers with a small budget he is likely to get that time - particularly after rescuing the club's PL status when it was on it's arse. I think Henning will get similar time. Maybe it's being a former player or maybe we just got Hughes at the right time when he still had some stock from his playing days.

Such a shame he left Rovers when he did, both parties lost out and have suffered since (although his City compo, and now QPR, has probably helped!)

Fair enough, but why hasn't he done it for the last 4 years, bad luck?

Not sure.

He didn't buy badly at City, I just don't think he was the World class manager needed to take them onto the next level. The likes of Kompany, Zabaleta etc still feature heavily in City's team.

He did well at Fulham taking them to the top half, but inexplicably left after a season. I bet he regrets that now.

When that didn't work on Tuesday. It was then said yesterday evening that Harry was off to Ukraine for an interview, that gave QPR a shove!

Redknapp and Stretford - would you buy a used car off any of these two. They have both played a blinder in engineering all of this.

He's just one of those managers who works better on a shoestring. Nelsen, Samba, Warnock, Bentley, McCarthy, Santa Cruz... All of them were inspired buys that he found in the bargain bin. He had a little more to spend at Fulham but was still able to find coups like Dembele, whose value tripled when he went to Spurs. And he did a steady job there before he jumped ship for QPR. Surely it's no coincidence that he's struggled at both jobs with a blank chequebook and the expectations that come with it.

He's just one of those managers who works better on a shoestring. Nelsen, Samba, Warnock, Bentley, McCarthy, Santa Cruz... All of them were inspired buys that he found in the bargain bin. He had a little more to spend at Fulham but was still able to find coups like Dembele, whose value tripled when he went to Spurs. And he did a steady job there before he jumped ship for QPR. Surely it's no coincidence that he's struggled at both jobs with a blank chequebook and the expectations that come with it.

He jumped ship for Villa IIRC - only they didn't offer him the job?

He did well at Fulham taking them to the top half, but inexplicably left after a season. I bet he regrets that now.

A colleague of mine is a season ticket holder at Fulham and hates Hughes with a passion after his time there. He is firmly of the view that Murphy and the senior players called rank and basically ditched Hughes tactics which weren't working and basically did their own thing. I have no idea how right it is but it could expalin the strange way he left there.

I'd still have him back in a heartbeat though.

Hughes' career so far is the embodiment of the phrase 'continuity breeds success'.

It's no coincedence imo that the two 'failures' of his career have come after a period of great change. His strengths lie in gradual improvement, getting a very fit, well drilled team, and adding bits of real quality in the right areas of the field. You can see real similarities with Rovers, very competitive with damage being done by MGP, Bentley and whichever striker was banging them in at any one time, to the way he structured Fulham with Dempsey and Dembele.

I've no idea if he would've been a success at QPR. I suspect he would've done, but even if he hadn't it's a difficult brief to ask a manager to get an entirely new squad together and get them playing well, regardless of the quality. Still a top manager for me.

Archived