BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mark Hughes

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Rovers fans are the only ones left thinking Hughes is a good manager. While he did a great job for us, a few of his quality signings were flukes. I think he is more suited to a manager's role at a club like Bolton, Rovers, Stoke or such, where he can employ a physical style of play. The players that were brought to QPR in the summer just don't fit with his style of play.

Good luck to him.

I think Rovers fans are the only ones left thinking Hughes is a good manager. While he did a great job for us, a few of his quality signings were flukes. I think he is more suited to a manager's role at a club like Bolton, Rovers, Stoke or such, where he can employ a physical style of play. The players that were brought to QPR in the summer just don't fit with his style of play.

Good luck to him.

Wonder how much he decided of transfers at QPR. Seemed like they brought in players without even thinking how they match as a team. Arry will have a huge clear out there.

Will be interesting to see how QPR do under Harry. In my opinon the problem is they bought a whole new squad in the summer and hardly any manager is going to be able to integrate so many new players at the same time, it's just not possible and the team is going to be disjointed and inconsistent as a result.

Think Hughes can still be successful at a smaller club with a more sensible transfer policy. However, wouldn't want him at Rovers while Kia Joorabchian is his agent (same as Tevez's).

Good luck to him.

It seems he really doesn't want to be that kind of manager. Seems to be his downfall. Not recognising what he's good at

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that every 'star' that leaves Rovers tends to flop, they all seem to peak at Rovers .... Souness, Hughes, Bentley, Duff, Santa Cruz, Warnock, Neill, Bellamy, Derbyshire, Reid, Sutton.

Could probably think of more but i'm sure this has been covered by now.

Females at Sky are not generally employed for their football knowledge but for their looks.

As opposed to the blokes gumboots? They'll all as weak as each other, not an ounce of integrity between them. Mind you the bread knife doesn't rate any of them. But I'd sooner have Millie Clode telling me the latest Arsenal breaking news sensation shock than Jim bloody White! But that's just me (and after all that, you're right!)

Will be interesting to see how QPR do under Harry. In my opinon the problem is they bought a whole new squad in the summer and hardly any manager is going to be able to integrate so many new players at the same time, it's just not possible and the team is going to be disjointed and inconsistent as a result.

Think Hughes can still be successful at a smaller club with a more sensible transfer policy. However, wouldn't want him at Rovers while Kia Joorabchian is his agent (same as Tevez's).

12 games so 26 to go and 4 points on the table so far for QPR. Tight squeeze for them.

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that every 'star' that leaves Rovers tends to flop, they all seem to peak at Rovers .... Souness, Hughes, Bentley, Duff, Santa Cruz, Warnock, Neill, Bellamy, Derbyshire, Reid, Sutton....

Ince, Kean (ha ha ha fraud), Wilcox, Hendry, Batty, Sherwood, Samba (?), Hoilett (? Tbc)

V

Duff (he did win stuff after all, then faded), Hodgson, May, Berg (saw sense in the end, twice), er, erm, Simon Barker, Mike England, er...

Of course I wouldn't want to argue with you Bob,but I think he went there after they won the league.

Hey, let's not argue, you're probably right actually. Did well for them though.

Sutton? Not sure winning the league in Scotland is better than winning the league in England. Actually I am. But he was a great player for Celtic, did very well (v us at Ewood an all the sod).

It seems he really doesn't want to be that kind of manager. Seems to be his downfall. Not recognising what he's good at

Hughes wants the OT job. He knows that he won't get the credentials working at a Rovers or a Fulham. He needs to prove that he can assemble a squad at the high-end of the market and meet the expectations of a "big club".

Not doing a very good job, is he?

Hughes wants the OT job. He knows that he won't get the credentials working at a Rovers or a Fulham. He needs to prove that he can assemble a squad at the high-end of the market and meet the expectations of a "big club".

Not doing a very good job, is he?

As someone else mentioned the other day of this here brfcs, I think Hughes' time has come and gone. He had free reign at City and spent loads, same at QPR. It didn't happen.

At the same time though it was absolutely disgusting how he was treat at QPR by their fans. I heard he got boo'd by the crowd last match. Animals. Sickening. Maybe with a bit more support he'd have turned it round. They should hang their heads in shame. Isn't that right braddock?

Then again it was bleeding obvious what was going to happen. A failing manager, no matter his pedigree (or lack of it) gets the sack based on results. Unless your owners are Venkys.

Good point. But I also believe that with the squad assembled at QPR it's a style of play that simple cannot be implemented - you need the Lee Cattermole's and Billy McKinlay's to do that. That said, we were labeled unfairly during Hughe's reign at Ewood, much because of Arsené Wenger who tried to affect the referee before one of our encounters. We were physical, but not nasty by any means.

Wonder how much he decided of transfers at QPR. Seemed like they brought in players without even thinking how they match as a team. Arry will have a huge clear out there.

That was probably the case during the summer, yes. QPR wanted to raise their profile and brought in players like Granero and Hoilett. Stick two strikers, Hoilett, Granero and Taraabt in the same team and the other five outfield players will have a hell of a job doing all the defending. But, just like at City, Hughes failed to instill the right mindset in his players - there seems to be no effort wanting to work/play for the manager. In the end he had to go. Will be good to get Harry back in the game, he's a lot better representative for English football than Hughes is.

He's just one of those managers who works better on a shoestring. Nelsen, Samba, Warnock, Bentley, McCarthy, Santa Cruz... All of them were inspired buys that he found in the bargain bin. He had a little more to spend at Fulham but was still able to find coups like Dembele, whose value tripled when he went to Spurs. And he did a steady job there before he jumped ship for QPR. Surely it's no coincidence that he's struggled at both jobs with a blank chequebook and the expectations that come with it.

Toppers I think you are being a bit unfair on his time at city he did get sacked from there with them being 3rd in the league what were the city fans expecting to be top he was sacked from there with the club moving in the right direction very similar to how Big Sam was sacked here owners thinking they know best although city had a plan we didn't IMO from city it was an unfair sacking Fulham he did very well the only job he has been poor is QPR I bet he now wishes he hung around Fulham.

Bucky you have hit the nail on the head here for any team to change 11 outfield players they could be the best players in the world ever but getting them to gel right away is nigh on impossible if he had shipped 11 players over 3 or 4 transfer windows he would most definitely have been a success but as they say rome was not built in a day! and is why all the posters suggesting we ship out now 11 of our fringe players all at once and bring in all new players is barking it has to be a slow gradual process because to integrate a whole new squad to play together takes time not just an overnight thing.

As opposed to the blokes gumboots? They'll all as weak as each other, not an ounce of integrity between them. Mind you the bread knife doesn't rate any of them. But I'd sooner have Millie Clode telling me the latest Arsenal breaking news sensation shock than Jim bloody White! But that's just me (and after all that, you're right!)

Bob please don't mention that bloke Jim flaming White that should now be a swear word on this site he still believes in his own cloud cuckoo land that coco was a good manager and acted with integrity throughout his tenure even though coco received no threats to his safety throughout his tenure the sooner people like Merse.White and the rest of SEM are cleared out of SSN the better.

I also think we should not be stating that some of his buys were flukes because at the end of the day they all worked out they all made us a better team apart from the axe majority of his signings made the team tick and when they were sold they made much more than they were originally bought for and throughout his tenure here he was a success made good signings in the windows the only manager since King Kenny that had us challenging for the champs Lge and nearly got there played football the right way and as a team improved year on year bought class acts like Bellamy,Savage,etc and consistently had us in Europe with players like Bellamy, Bentley & Savage scoring some classic goals along the way e.g. Bellamy vs Pompey ran the length of the pitch & chipped the keeper! when he left he left a lasting legacy that only King Kenny did better for which we should be very grateful to him for I am esp proud of the time we qualified for the knockout stages when we beat Nancy at ewood and the BBE went wild that night amazing scenes and countless other good memories with buys that were flukes I think not.

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that every 'star' that leaves Rovers tends to flop, they all seem to peak at Rovers .... Souness, Hughes, Bentley, Duff, Santa Cruz, Warnock, Neill, Bellamy, Derbyshire, Reid, Sutton.

Could probably think of more but i'm sure this has been covered by now.

duff?

so winning the league and playing in the champions league for a few years isnt considered success? I still consider that chelsea team to be the best one of the last 10 years with duff and roben on the flanks

As someone else mentioned the other day of this here brfcs, I think Hughes' time has come and gone. He had free reign at City and spent loads, same at QPR. It didn't happen.

At the same time though it was absolutely disgusting how he was treat at QPR by their fans. I heard he got boo'd by the crowd last match. Animals. Sickening. Maybe with a bit more support he'd have turned it round. They should hang their heads in shame. Isn't that right braddock?

Then again it was bleeding obvious what was going to happen. A failing manager, no matter his pedigree (or lack of it) gets the sack based on results. Unless your owners are Venkys.

Great post. Love it! If Venkys had owned QPR Sparky would have been given a new contract at Christmas, a pay rise and gushing praise from Mrs D.

Then when they'd been relegated the fans would have got the blame, Sparky would have continued in the Championship and the media would have accused stay away fans of being fickle and half the idiots on their forums would have agreed with them.

Great post. Love it! If Venkys had owned QPR Sparky would have been given a new contract at Christmas, a pay rise and gushing praise from Mrs D.

Then when they'd been relegated the fans would have got the blame, Sparky would have continued in the Championship and the media would have accused stay away fans of being fickle and half the idiots on their forums would have agreed with them.

:D I like it 47er, spot on.

Archived