BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Brighton

The Dart

• Backroom

Going 5 at the back would have been daft for me, the shape was fine and to be honest they never looked like scoring until that moment.

Maybe another sub should have been used, I think the idea was shifting CKR out wide as he would help out with the defensive work, ironically had goodwillie not tracked back that move would have most likely come to nothing anyway.

I remember him coming on against west brom once and causing us to concede a last minute sucker punch loser a year or two back as well

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going 5 at the back would have been daft for me, the shape was fine and to be honest they never looked like scoring until that moment.

Maybe another sub should have been used, I think the idea was shifting CKR out wide as he would help out with the defensive work, ironically had goodwillie not tracked back that move would have most likely come to nothing anyway.

I remember him coming on against west brom once and causing us to concede a last minute sucker punch loser a year or two back as well

To preserve a lead you would normally strengthen the defence or defensive midfield, not chuck on a goal poacher, (if thats what he is). I guess that's my problem as I do not know what MA hoped DG would bring to proceedings. I take your point about the defensive four who all played well.

Gutted by the result but encouraged by the performance.

Players gave everything today in terms of effort and commitment, we didn't create much, although Rhodes had 2 chances in second half which he usually tucks away, but our workrate stopped Brighton from being effective in an attacking sense,

Very stupid challenge from Goodwillie, there was no need to make that challenge. Not sure why he was bought on, as it meant moving Richards wide, he was very effective in second half at holding up the ball.

Appleton should also have used his subs in injury time to break up play and kill a few seconds which proved crucial in the end.

But seems players have responded to Appleton's criticism from Saturday, hopefully they will take confidence from that performance, few signings will also give people a boost. I think getting into playoffs is a very long shot, so it's about building for next season now.

Got to agree looks like it's over looks like it's all about next season or the close season when Venkys sell the crown jewels again

pedersen doing well so far
Was that said in jest?

He had a stinker. He made 2 decent crosses all night. Gave it away constantly and his corners / set pieces were woeful.

On the whole 1st half a slog. 2nd half better. Didn't get the Goodwillie substitution. Highlighted by his numbnuts challenge.

To preserve a lead you would normally strengthen the defence or defensive midfield, not chuck on a goal poacher, (if thats what he is). I guess that's my problem as I do not know what MA hoped DG would bring to proceedings. I take your point about the defensive four who all played well.

He hoped Goodwillie would help keep the ball up the other end of the pitch. Attack is the best form of defence 'n' all that.

He doesn't know how shyte Goodwillie is, like we do.

There's no way anyone could have foreseen such a stupid challenge. I'm prepared to let that substitution mistake slide. I'm sure Appleton won't make that mistake again.

Didn't make the trip down for this 1 but sounded like a familiar tale. We have struggled to create chances all season and despite it sounding like we were on top we had about 5 efforts on target. Midfield needs a total overhaul as we should be creating more and having more efforts or we are going to struggle to score more than 1 goal and eventually pay the price like we have on a few occasions this year.

Hope Appleton can break the cycle of his start being just like Berg's soon.

Bad mistake from Goodwillie but I still think he has something to offer at this level, and needs to be given games/time.

Based on what exactly?, Palace realized he was rubbish and sent him home early. Don't want to see him in a Rovers shirt again thanks.

We were nowhere near as good as we can be.

Based on what evidence? I have seen nothing this season to suggest we are any better than mid table Championship.

With regard to you enjoying Brightons style of football, you best buy a season ticket for them, because unfortunately, our unbalanced side is imo incapable of producing such quick, sharp, slick football in the near future.

Appleton has a rabble to deal with here, we must give him time. He was not anyone's first choice, but whats the alternative, moan until he's sacked after 10 games and then have another month long circus with whisperings of bloody Taylor and Judan Ali.

If and its a big IF, Shaw and Agnew have picked Appleton because they feel he is the right man, then he should be given at least until next December. Name me a side that has profited from constant changes? We all need this club to calm down. If they have to, go into @#/? lockdown. Shut Shebby up, make press releases that are well structured and well thought out, and let Appleton run the club his way! No silly stories being leaked, no infighting, just getting on with it. The pressure should be completely off Appleton, until at least we are ever in any such position to say the play-offs is not beyond us. Jesus, we never used to hear anything during the Williams era.

Unless we go on a horror streak, Appleton should be allowed to do his job without folk like you constantly on his back. As a point of interest who did you want as manager? I would also point out, if your not happy with the appointment perhaps you should start saving up, then you can make the big decisions once the sale has gone through. Unti then were stuck with Venkys.

Was that said in jest?

He had a stinker. He made 2 decent crosses all night. Gave it away constantly and his corners / set pieces were woeful.

On the whole 1st half a slog. 2nd half better. Didn't get the Goodwillie substitution. Highlighted by his numbnuts challenge.

He was woeful on occasions with his deliveries but he was heavily involved in the action for the full match. Their left wing with Wayne Bridge** (looking like he has found his best level) was very threatening early doors but tbf Ped and Kane had a colossal tussle but did actually nullify that threat (cant at this point think why Poyet did not put Lua Lua on against Kane in the second half). We look much better imo with MGP than without him but what has happened to his deliveries from free kicks and corners last night only he knows. People remember them and fail to see the other stuff. You appear to be one of them.

**btw speaking to a Brighton supporter last night and he says they are paying Bridge 10k pw and City are supposedly still stumping up 70k to him as well. I know the country is getting the oil revenue back to a small degree but stories like that make me despair about football.

He hoped Goodwillie would help keep the ball up the other end of the pitch. Attack is the best form of defence 'n' all that.

He doesn't know how shyte Goodwillie is, like we do.

There's no way anyone could have foreseen such a stupid challenge. I'm prepared to let that substitution mistake slide. I'm sure Appleton won't make that mistake again.

If he'd wanted an experienced player capable of sitting between mfield and the forwards, holding the ball up and running the clock down better than anyone Dunn was right behind him. Goodwillie simply isn't a player and never will be.

He was woeful on occasions with his deliveries but he was heavily involved in the action for the full match. Their left wing with Wayne Bridge** (looking like he has found his best level) was very threatening early doors but tbf Ped and Kane had a colossal tussle but did actually nullify that threat (cant at this point think why Poyet did not put Lua Lua on against Kane in the second half). We look much better imo with MGP than without him but what has happened to his deliveries from free kicks and corners last night only he knows. People remember them and fail to see the other stuff. You appear to be one of them.

**btw speaking to a Brighton supporter last night and he says they are paying Bridge 10k pw and City are supposedly still stumping up 70k to him as well. I know the country is getting the oil revenue back to a small degree but stories like that make me despair about football.

I agree, he was heavily involved all game and in a good way. He also swung a few good free kicks in, which caused Brighton all kinds of problems. Corners were poor though.

I like Peds! He seems to accidently irritate opposing players which I find very funny.

Anyone who thinks we played well tonight needs to seriously consider a different sport. We were awful again. Giving pointless balls away, hoofing it up to Rhodes who, yes won a couple of headers but needs it into his feet and the lack of closing down quickly in dangerous areas. Pedersen should be nowhere near that team. Brighton play the sort of football I like to see. Quick, lots of movement and close down quickly

I think we played well cos for all Brightons eye candy energetic performance they didn't threaten much at all in our area. BUT and this is the rub can you not see that you have just answered your own criticism? Rovers didn't get much flowing football together because Brighton didn't allow them the time and space to do so.

Easy Peasy when one has watched BRFC warts and all for 50 years and not a mere 20 years 'in the sun' Pal.

Next. ^_^

i also think he should of brought nuno gomes on in stead of goodwillie.he would have held the ball up front better

and would have scored the second goal.that goodwillie missed.

Disagree. Why change from effectively a 4-4-2 which was working to what would have become a 4-3-3 with 5 mins to go?

Lots of talk on here about the inept Goodwillie losing that game, but I have a major gripe about CKR (good that he was) committing 3 stupid and unecessary fouls one after another in 3 consecutive injury time minutes to hand Brighton the initiative to get players and the ball into our box and apply pressure. Also Kean electing to flap/punch at balls he should be taking with ease but the hard truth is that much of the blame must be resting on Appletons shoulders for @#/? up the players and the tactics. Rem the 'Tinkerman'?

Brighton play the sort of football I like to see. Quick, lots of movement and close down quickly

btw whilst Brightons passing and moving was exemplary and probably evidence of a South American as manager their 'professionalism' in diving, feigning injury, cheating free kicks and bookings out of the referee was also evidence of the Carlos Kickaball influence. Very noticeable to me that after 65 mins and getting no change out of the Rovers Brightons players started kicking up rough to try and soften us up.

Not nice to see and neither was the mauling, spoiling, grappling ability of their stumpy little blond centre half. Maybe the biggest talking point today but isn't is how a. why the ref didn't give us more penalties and b. how Brighton finished with 11 men.

I think we played well cos for all Brightons eye candy energetic performance they didn't threaten much at all in our area. BUT and this is the rub can you not see that you have just answered your own criticism? Rovers didn't get much flowing football together because Brighton didn't allow them the time and space to do so.

Easy Peasy when one has watched BRFC warts and all for 50 years and not a mere 20 years 'in the sun' Pal.

Next. ^_^

On reason I have watched us for that long is because I am still youthful matey!! Not sucking on Werthers Original and sipping tea from a flask with a blanket over my lap.

Based on what evidence? I have seen nothing this season to suggest we are any better than mid table Championship.

With regard to you enjoying Brightons style of football, you best buy a season ticket for them, because unfortunately, our unbalanced side is imo incapable of producing such quick, sharp, slick football in the near future.

Appleton has a rabble to deal with here, we must give him time. He was not anyone's first choice, but whats the alternative, moan until he's sacked after 10 games and then have another month long circus with whisperings of bloody Taylor and Judan Ali.

If and its a big IF, Shaw and Agnew have picked Appleton because they feel he is the right man, then he should be given at least until next December. Name me a side that has profited from constant changes? We all need this club to calm down. If they have to, go into @#/? lockdown. Shut Shebby up, make press releases that are well structured and well thought out, and let Appleton run the club his way! No silly stories being leaked, no infighting, just getting on with it. The pressure should be completely off Appleton, until at least we are ever in any such position to say the play-offs is not beyond us. Jesus, we never used to hear anything during the Williams era.

Unless we go on a horror streak, Appleton should be allowed to do his job without folk like you constantly on his back. As a point of interest who did you want as manager? I would also point out, if your not happy with the appointment perhaps you should start saving up, then you can make the big decisions once the sale has gone through. Unti then were stuck with Venkys.

+1

I think we played well cos for all Brightons eye candy energetic performance they didn't threaten much at all in our area.

Exactly the point that Dean Kiely was making on Radio 5 Sports Extra last night.

It sounded as though Appleton and his backroom team had decided that we'd deny Brighton the space to do what they do apparently so well. For most of the match, the commentators made it sound as though we were letting them do whatever they wanted to in their own half; once they crossed the halfway line, then we challenged them.

As one of my Blackpool-supporting mates told me when Appleton joined us, he'll start by building from the back. I know this sounds silly but it's true that, if it hadn't been for Goodwillie's error, we'd have kept a clean sheet! And how many of those have we had this season?

My thoughts on last night.

I wasn't too disappointed with the late goal, as really I think we're playing out the season with little chance of promotion or relegation, particularly given our remaining fixtures (Cardiff, Hull, Leicester, Watford, Brighton all away are tough matches as well as some tricky home ties).

That said I was encouraged by the performance, work rate was up, energy levels were up, Kazim was his mecurial best and deserved his man of the match award, Rhodes had a couple of decent chances, Hanley and Dann looked solid at the back and even Murphy and Lowe worked well in the middle (Murphy was a lot better in the second half).

Appleton is certainly saying the right things and I thought his post game interview on Radio Rovers was exactly what the fans needed to hear.

As for Brighton, people may go on about nice passing football, but they never looked like scoring until Goodwillie's moment of madness, proof that you need to be incisive and probably the reason why they have plateaued at this level. Also their sportsmanship and honour is very questionable, I'm not naive, players go down easily in modern football, but Brighton took it to new levels, particularly when a talented striker like Vincente seemed to spend most of the game clutching his shins whilst simultaneously rolling around on the deck. I know they have been accused of similar in the past and its clear to see why.

My ratings

Kean - 6. A virtual spectator throughout, one comfortable save. His command of his area still needs working on and kicking out of his hands was poor, but solid enough performance.

Kane - 6. Another solid performance, Brighton did get in down the left a couple of times, and struggled at times in the first half, better second, benefitted from MGP in front of him.

Hanley - 7. Defended well and was a threat from set pieces, improving game by game.

Dann - 7. Also defended well against the aggressive Barnes, mixed distribution, but a more solid performance.

Martin - 6. Defended well, but struggled going forward and his crossing still leaves a lot to be desired.

Pedersen - 6. Frustrating again from Morten, mixed results from set pieces, but won the penalty and generally worked hard for the team and young Kane.

Lowe - 6. Solid hard working performance, passing improved in recent weeks, although probably should have given Rovers the lead in the first half when through on goal. First touch lets him down at times.

Murphy - 6. Struggled in the first half, but was more aggressive in the second and ended with a flourish.

Marcus - 6. Like MGP, worked hard for the team and looked knackered by the time he came off. A nice move by Appleton putting him in the starting XI as Brighton tried to play out from the back almost every time.

Kazim - 8. At his best, bullied the opposition and was a constant threat, had a couple of fine attempts (one saved, one just wide) and was always an option going forward. Nice response after Saturdays poor showing.

Rhodes - 7. Nice penalty and worked the line well, had a couple of other chances, one tame lob followed by a terrific looping header which forced Kuszczak to make a wonder save (or worldie in Soccer Saturday terminology).

Goodwillie - Rash moment ultimately cost us 2 points, needs to work hard on his fitness, strength, decision making and get a pair of shorts that fit. If I was Appleton I'd ask him to prove to himself and the fans why he still deserves to be at the club. This should be his level, but you get the feeling that his lack of intellect will ultimately catch up with him both on and off the field.

Archived