SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Brighton

The Dart

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that is one thing i would disagree with. peds set pieces were dreadful

Free kicks were good. Corners not so good. Our set pieces tonight and that includes movement of the ball was much improved. We looked threatening! first time in ages!

• Backroom

Free kicks were good. Corners not so good. Our set pieces tonight and that includes movement of the ball was much improved. We looked threatening! first time in ages!

I liked how we went more direct and started launching free kicks into the box again

I hope we can survive the season financially as this one is wrote off and I feel would have been for nearly any manager, for me its all about building a real team for next season now

• Backroom
I liked how we went more direct and started launching free kicks into the box again

I hope we can survive the season financially as this one is wrote off and I feel would have been for nearly any manager, for me its all about building a real team for next season now

Do you really think this is going to happen under Venky's?

Appleton may want to bring in good players but our Indian idiot overlords are the ones with the cheque book and I don't see them allowing Appleton to make any sensible decisions. If they did it would be a complete 180 from their usual thought processes.

If Venky's sell up, and we get owners with half a brain who aren't total dickheads, then maybe. This is also hugely unlikely though.

Win tonight with two home games to come, we have hope of play off - I feel closure tonight knowing that we will be in the Championship next year - at least MA will have 18 games to prove his worth, and the Loons will allow him money to buy 2/3 players before month end. Otherwise, what is the point?

I just can't tell anymore whether that was actually any better or whether my expectations and standards are at an all time low.

Either way once again I feel dejected after a rovers game. That is a reoccurring theme for sure.

Not sure how many games I've got left in me after 2 years of dying a death by a thousand cuts.

That was everything that Saturday wasn't. Work rate, passion and desire were all up.

Appleton worked on a game plan and the players stuck to it all the game. Kean had one comfortable save to make all match such was the performance.

I never felt we would concede but the ref tried his utmost all match to help Brighton. it came as no surprise he added so much time.

Having said that it was defo a pen, I don't know what willie was trying to do.

Satisfaction with disappointment. The ups and downs of being a Rovers Fan eh.

I still maintain that Appleton will do a good job given the time and patience of the fans/owners/players. From what I have read tonight we looked more organised and came out with more of a game-plan than we have in a long time.

Bad mistake from Goodwillie but I still think he has something to offer at this level, and needs to be given games/time.

Also good to hear we looked threatening on set pieces again as well.

Defo, it made a huge difference. It got the crowd going for a start. I agree, we had to win that game, it's gone now. Who knows what Venkys are going to do come the end of the season? I have a good feeling about Appleton though.

Sat at home now with a beer and getting some perspective....

Notwithstanding the result which is just cruel and undeserved, we were easily the better team tonight and coped well with the opposition. The improvement over Saturday was really evident. I think the players will work hard for Appleton and I feel quite positive (cautiously) for the first time in ages.

I would like to mention Lowe; I have been critical of him all season but I enjoyed his performance tonight. He nearly scored early on and played some good stuff tonight. He is growing in confidence and I predict good things from him for the rest of the season.

I thought CKR tired near to the end and I would have put Dunny on for the last five to tear around and use some cunning to waste a bit of time.

All in all, a good performance and lots to be positive about.

That was everything that Saturday wasn't. Work rate, passion and desire were all up.

Appleton worked on a game plan and the players stuck to it all the game. Kean had one comfortable save to make all match such was the performance.

I never felt we would concede but the ref tried his utmost all match to help Brighton. it came as no surprise he added so much time.

Having said that it was defo a pen, I don't know what willie was trying to do.

Satisfaction with disappointment. The ups and downs of being a Rovers Fan eh.

The ref was terrible. I noticed the Brighton players were constantly in his ear, moaning and feigning injury. They were very lucky to get a point.

It's a weird feeling being completely deflated by the manner of result but buoyed by the performance!

• Backroom
So Appleton said the fourth official was shouting "it's over, it's over" after the 5 minutes for about 45 seconds before the penalty was given

I imagine the fool in the blackburn end keeping hold of the ball for ages just into injury time made the ref play longer as if to prove a point

A lot better tonight but is goodwillie retarded or what ?

Ref couldn't wait to give iit. Weak pen Abbey. From a crap ref.

I enjoyed it tonight, bar the end, obviously. There was a plan, wingers nearly, who dropped back in. It was a lot better, a bit of graft and fight.

How many of Keans signings played? How many are at the club- or were signed under his name / stewardship ?

There is no quick fix here. But at least Appleton showed he has some gumption and method.

Good luck in shifting the deadwood Michael. Etuhu? Is he dead, only a 4 year contract on big money. Gomes? 2 year contract. Why?

This will take years.

Get lost.

Were you there?

We deserved to win that by 2 clear goals and but for a worldie by their keeper we would have done. We were easily the best side tonight, and got better and better as the game wore on.

I just hope Goodwillie is feeling just a tenth as bad as I feel right now. His stupidity has just cost is 3 massive points. It may have been in the 6th minute of the 5 added on but it was a definite penalty. The keaning stupid oaf.

Appleton needs to start getting his substitutions right but there was a lot to be proud of tonight.

Special mention for Pedersen but they all worked their socks off.

I'm so angry right now that I'm not going to post anything else until the morning.

I knew it would happen one day .... I agree with all of this.

Knowing full well Brighton were going to throw everything at us in the last 10 minutes, can someone please explain the logic of bringing DG on?

He won't win headers, has little pace to take the ball into the corners and is hardly adept at holding the ball up, or beating a man creating space with quick feet. He can't defend either. It was unlikely he would score baby-lining as Brighton pushed forward. I am gob smacked by this substitution and said so as he paddled on. Moving MOM CKR to accommodate him?

My comment has little to do with their penalty. I am just very confused with that decision as many may have thought Givet and 5 at the back, a like for like swap on the left, Rochina to drive us forward and use the space, maybe Dunn with quick feet, cute experience and a willingness to tackle.

Also as Kamy said earlier, why not waste previous moments with tactical substitutions? Rhodes could have come off with 2 or 3 minutes to play.

Much improved performance, enjoyed much of the game, pleased to see some heart and desire, but somewhat disappointed with the manager in the last 10 minutes of the match.

Sign of a bad team throwing away points in the dying minutes. Poor tactical substitutions and a feeble capitulation to what wasn't exactly heavy pressure.

I remember Big Sam selling Matt Derbyshire for doing something stupid that cost us points in the dying seconds. Thats a real manager, wonder what Appleton will do to Goodwillie.

Archived