BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer

Stuart

I'm going to get pelters for this and, yes, it's knee-jerk and completely without foundation but is something the loons at the club may well now be mulling over too. So...

Is Gary Bowyer a realistic option for permanent manager?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he is in charge for the next 3-4 games and wins the lot, he should come under consideration.

If it ain't broke..........etc etc.

However on the face of it you'd prefer a more experienced name if anyone decent is interested.

I still reckon we could attract a few half-decent applicants. A lot of managers are desperate to get back into the game and would jump at earning a quick buck. Whether they'll suffer Shebby in the interview process is another thing entirely.

I still reckon we could attract a few half-decent applicants. A lot of managers are desperate to get back into the game and would jump at earning a quick buck. Whether they'll suffer Shebby in the interview process is another thing entirely.

There's the rub I'm guessing.

So Rev, do you think he deserves a crack at the next couple of games? Or is that a gamble too far?

The problem I have is that I don't trust any of the higher-paid help to bring in a proper experienced manager, so Bowyer may actually look good when compared to their shortlist...

So Rev, do you think he deserves a crack at the next couple of games? Or is that a gamble too far?

I'm guessing he will anyway, not on the basis of ability or probability of landing it permanently, but it might not be logistically possible to land anyone before then.

Edit: Keith Hill just been sacked by Barnsley!

I'm going to get pelters for this and, yes, it's knee-jerk and completely without foundation but is something the loons at the club may well now be mulling over too. So...

Is Gary Bowyer a realistic option for permanent manager?

NO.

Good god no....great win today but we need and have done for ages a more experienced manager.

No more coaches, infact delete this thread before the loons read it.

So: Devil's advocate mode:

If the team start playing a LOT better and win the next 3-4 games by 2-3 clear goals, do you risk cocking it all up by making yet another change?

I'm not saying or think they will necessarily , but it would need a bit of thought wouldn't it?

Good god no....great win today but we need and have done for ages a more experienced manager.

No more coaches, infact delete this thread before the loons read it.

Wasn't he a bit more than a coach though, a reserve team manager? I.e. tactics, man-management, etc?

If we are looking to promote players from within...?

If it was a straight choice between MacDonald or Bowyer, who would you prefer?

There are several cases of cartaker managers being given the job after a successful stand in stint. Without checking I seem to remember then not being a great success.

Yeah, Sbragia off the top of my head is a good example.

So: Devil's advocate mode:

If the team start playing a LOT better and win the next 3-4 games by 2-3 clear goals, do you risk cocking it all up by making yet another change?

I'm not saying or think they will necessarily , but it would need a bit of thought wouldn't it?

I wouldn't but I'd only give him until the end of the season. If promotion is gained then put him on a rolling contract like Hughes was on.

Yeah, Sbragia off the top of my head is a good example.

The one I was thinking about was Malcolm Crosby. Lead Sunderland to the cup final if I remember right.

Yes....what about getting teams out of slumps, dealing with problematic players, attracting players to the club, fans would accept him after a few good results but would soon turn on him when we dont perform.

This time this appointment must not be risked on another coach, if he has done well in his stewardship give him a rise or a promotion but not the managers position.

I'm not saying or think they will necessarily , but it would need a bit of thought wouldn't it?.

Is Bowyer more than just a coach though? Hasn't he proven he has tactical know-how in the reserves?

Also I'm not sure the turn would be the same now after all we've been through - and without any 'baggage'. People didn't turn on Berg, to be fair.

Archived