BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer

Stuart

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i dont like to come over all itk like some people, however i have it from a extremely good (ie 100%) source that GB has already curtailed one or two things with regards Shebby's involvement.

i can also confirm that SS does not and has never taken first team training

+1

• Backroom
Does Bowyer actually want to do this job ? My impression is he is quite content to manage the reserves and not want to put his head on the chopping block.

Either way, the club is an omnishambles, as my friend Ed Miliband would say of this government.

Oh you mean the word created by the writers of 'The Thick Of It', according the Oxford English Dictionary? Don't credit that tit with anything. He's as bad as our current incumbents, he just looks more clueless. Even Clegg has more of a spine ;)

When Stuart started this thread I thought he was doing it with a tongue firmly in his cheek.
Not so much tongue in cheek as testing the water.

It's interesting though how the thread has developed. People were very much against him at first. "Not what we need", "Another Kean situation" etc. but he's earned a bit more respect and with all the self-generated stormy waters at the club I'm glad we have Gary and Terry to steady the ship.

It could still go tango uniform but its a brief respite to be able to enjoy watching a team of swash-bucklers that lilly-livered bunch of castaways.

Lets hope for a kind wind to take us to calmer waters...

(Shiver me timbers... or something!)

Well,I guess we just have to cross our fingers and hope. There is not much else to do really. Can he hire some decent coaches to hep him out? Or will he be doing two jobs?

Souness

Wow been here a long time then. Hmm. I guess one thing in his favour is that he would have had the opportunity to learn from a couple of the best (Hughes, Allardyce) and also learn what to avoid from the worst (Ince, Keane). He also should have picked up from where Berg made mistakes in regards to Venkys. He will also presumably know the players incredibly well.

Agree. Paying Berg off would be cheaper than buying the 4 or 5 players we need to improve.

No way was that part of the plan. They may as well have kept Black if it was about saving money. Berg's compo was further money wasted. Venkys seem very good at throwing money at paying off contracts and signing up NDAs if we are to believe what we are told. Yet, not so hot at using it wisely to strengthen the club. I can't see there being any positive legacy at the club when they leave. Except possibly the re-naming of the BBE and DE stands - something which cost them nothing.

I'm more interested in this chestnut...

http://helpcentre.betvictor.com/display/4/kb/article.aspx?aid=1219&n=1&docid=8677&tab=search

"1.MANAGER MARKETS

1.1. Next Permanent Manager

Every effort will be made to quote all potential new managers for the market, but should a manager not quoted be appointed, all bets will stand.

Caretaker and interim mangers will not count unless they complete at least 10 competitive games or the club indicate the manger will be appointed to cover at least 10 or more games.They will then be deemed the permanent manager and paid as a winner without clients having to wait for 10 or more games to be completed."

EDIT: I wonder if Bowyer will make it to Hull on the 19th February...?

No way was that part of the plan. They may as well have kept Black if it was about saving money. Berg's compo was further money wasted. Venkys seem very good at throwing money at paying off contracts and signing up NDAs if we are to believe what we are told. Yet, not so hot at using it wisely to strengthen the club. I can't see there being any positive legacy at the club when they leave. Except possibly the re-naming of the BBE and DE stands - something which cost them nothing.

I'm more interested in this chestnut...

http://helpcentre.betvictor.com/display/4/kb/article.aspx?aid=1219&n=1&docid=8677&tab=search

"1.MANAGER MARKETS

1.1. Next Permanent Manager

Every effort will be made to quote all potential new managers for the market, but should a manager not quoted be appointed, all bets will stand.

Caretaker and interim mangers will not count unless they complete at least 10 competitive games or the club indicate the manger will be appointed to cover at least 10 or more games.They will then be deemed the permanent manager and paid as a winner without clients having to wait for 10 or more games to be completed."

EDIT: I wonder if Bowyer will make it to Hull on the 19th February...?

I posted this in another thread in relation to Berg's sacking......how many games was he manager for???!!!

• Backroom

I'm not sure it's specifically for the transfer window. I reckon they've said that in a bid to 'appease' the fans, but will in fact leave it to Bowyer til summer now. I'd actually be fine with that provided he can keep us fit and playing well and survive. Promotion via the play-offs is our only chance of going up this season and if Bowyer can do it, then good on him. If not, then we NEED to go up next season.

Simon Garner normally talks @#/? in the LET, but I agree with him today. Any managerial appointment must be for the long haul and not just 6 months. So for 6 months, leave it to the guy that knows the players, knows the whole club set-up and seems to be getting results and performances until there's a reason to panic.

lets not expect bowyer to win every match anyway because he aint.'

mid table at best. with the way the season has gone and the amount of unrest behind the scenes, I'll be happy enough for that. lets just get a decent long term manager for next season to have a full bash at it

I like Gary and Terry for what they've done for the club over the years and both seem like decent guys, I just can't help seeing this month long appointment as all too convenient with it being the transfer window. Good luck to them both though done a good job in the last two and hopefully it'll continue. On another note who's looking after the reserves and U18's now?

Two wins do seem to have gone to people's heads.

Would tend to agree with that. I'm chuffed Berg has gone and happy with the start Bowyer has made, particularly as it seems he's got the players back wanting to play for the club. But its a simple fact that most backroom staff don't make good managers and reserve team football is a million miles away from managing a first team in terms of intensity, egos and pressure from above/the terraces. Its fine to keep him in charge while we keep looking but his fitness for the job should be very carefully judged on a game to game basis rather than any commitment to another mad Venkys leap of faith with another novice.

Didn't realise until I read the LT this morning that Gary Bowyer was Ian Bowyer's son.

Another big tick in the plus column that. What a player Dad was for Clough and Forest.

Wanted him to get the Rovers job 26 years ago. Ultimately of course it went to Don Mackay who went on to do very well considering the lack of finances at the time.

Is it being too romantic to hope that after failing to get the job all those years ago Ian Bowyer's son will go on to be a roaring success as manager?

Knew about the father/son relationship.

Of course Ian Bowyer very much saw Clough/Taylor at their peak. If some of that has rubbed off on the son, Venky's dream of being European Champions within three seasons is very much on.

Sorry, getting carried away...

But being serious, hearing Cloughie from the inside cannot be anything but a good schooling for Gary.

So far so good for Gary. If he does land the job I just hope the "I don't want him" brigade will support him.

I don't think there's any need to stick the boot into the fans.

If he gets the job and does well, he'll be supported, if he doesn't, he won't.

It's not very difficult, football fans are broadly the same the world over.

Rovers fans have a lot to contend with the last two years, I think overall they've handled it very well, despite what some of the media try to peddle.

Archived