BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

That's a pretty fair assessment. If given 2 and a half years, Appleton will get us promoted imo. I strongly believe he is the right man for us.

Try to imagine what the reaction would have been had Appleton been appointed directly after Kean had been sacked?

We would have been horrified that we had sunk so low, so quickly.

Looks like we are prepared to make the best of anything now.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

If you're right, the players are picking who to play for. That isn't Appleton's fault, it's the players being dickheads. In any case, how do we know they weren't playing for him? It may be the double sessions msking them initially struggle.

Again, as a layman, the tactics and subs as I could see them made sense and I understood why they were made. With kean I didn't, with berg I sort of did and with bowyer I did but he fecked up at wolves. Appleton's tactics made sense. More effort/fitness from the players would've garnered at least a draw imo, but for a tremendous first goal from Charlton.

As I've said before, I tend to be rose tinted as it lets me enjoy even the negative stuff. I absolutely see where you're coming from, but I.think (maybe just hope) there's an alternative explanation.

I'd rather hope and be let down than wallow in negativity. Though even I admit yesterday wasn't good enough, it makes more sense to blame the poor effort on the pitch than a man who's been here a week.

If the players don't put the effort in, but the manager's tactics make sense then how is that his fault? It's their fault. If form continues to be shoddy then you can blame Appleton.

To blame him after one game, where the players are so poor they feel the need to apologise on twitter, is utter folly.

Luckily tuesday cant come soon enough. A good performance and a win should change the mood a little.

Players are dickheads, its the same everywhere and you ain't gonna change that. Appleton shouldn't be judged on the extremely generous circumstances of assuming our players are gonna immediately run through brick walls for him and never give less than 100%. Players have always played for managers they respect and trust. Thats gained from past successes, first impressions on the training ground and getting off to a good start tactically. Bowyer didn't have the first, but it seemed like he sure had the second 2. Appleton it seems has none.

Bowyer fecked up at Wolves, drawing away from home against a just-relegated team with a new, previously successful manager? Thats a feck up, and losing at home to Charlton isn't?? Sorry mate but I'm not surprised you approve of Appleton's tactical ability with judgements like that. My point is just because you thought it looked good means nothing, just like I thought it looked bad means nothing. Because neither of us know much about tactics at the second highest level of english football, hell i suspect either of us would be doing well to be winning a few matches with the local under-13s team. The one thing you can point to and say, well look at that, is the stats. And most important the one that says goals scored.

Well, under Berg there was a point to fans being negative, to get him out before he ruined our season. Shabby did it for us thankfully. But I suppose it is too late with Appleton. I'm just bloody annoyed we've almost certainly blown our best chance to get back in the Prem by replacing our only good manager this season with a nomark from Blackpool, for no ******* reason.

• Backroom
Luckily tuesday cant come soon enough. A good performance and a win then will change the mood a little.

I certainly hope so. A similarly poor performance and Appleton needs to get his own men in or find some effort. Ofc that's assuming the man himself gets his stuff together and gets it right.

First port of call will be murphy out (imo) and play with more attack in there. A 4132 or 442. We have wingers and attackers in abundance so play to that advantage until we get more solid midfielders in. Lowe may be dodgy but he's the only midfielder with a tackle in him atmo.

Murphy set the negative tone for Appleton with his completely blasé indifference to Appleton on his post match Sky interview after the Wolves match. As I said at the time, he should, as captain, have been supportive of the newly appointed manager.

Murphy set the negative tone for Appleton with his completely blasé indifference to Appleton on his post match Sky interview after the Wolves match. As I said at the time, he should, as captain, have been supportive of the newly appointed manager.

Can you blame him ? He's been at the club barely six or seven months and he's seen 5 managers in charge in that time. FIVE !

Most fans feel indifferent about Appleton so why are you surprised if players feel the same way?

• Backroom
Players are dickheads, its the same everywhere and you ain't gonna change that. Appleton shouldn't be judged on the extremely generous circumstances of assuming our players are gonna immediately run through brick walls for him and never give less than 100%. Players have always played for managers they respect and trust. Thats gained from past successes, first impressions on the training ground and getting off to a good start tactically. Bowyer didn't have the first, but it seemed like he sure had the second 2. Appleton it seems has none.

Bowyer fecked up at Wolves, drawing away from home against a just-relegated team with a new, previously successful manager? Thats a feck up, and losing at home to Charlton isn't?? Sorry mate but I'm not surprised you approve of Appleton's tactical ability with judgements like that. My point is just because you thought it looked good means nothing, just like I thought it looked bad means nothing. Because neither of us know much about tactics at the second highest level of english football, hell i suspect either of us would be doing well to be winning a few matches with the local under-13s team. The one thing you can point to and say, well look at that, is the stats. And most important the one that says goals scored.

Well, under Berg there was a point to fans being negative, to get him out before he ruined our season. Shabby did it for us thankfully. But I suppose it is too late with Appleton. I'm just bloody annoyed we've almost certainly blown our best chance to get back in the Prem by replacing our only good manager this season with a nomark from Blackpool, for no ******* reason.

The reason being that bowyer didn't want the job? Not the club's fault. I accepted Appleton but wasn't all yhat happy. Read up on him and thought yesterday was more the players than him at fault.

Ofc if it carries on, I'll quite swiftly get on your side, but I just don't feel it's right to judge on one game or previous jobs. I do agree we won't go up this season but again, due to bergs cock up than Appletons one game. The way to go up is to take stock, hope to god venkys plug the gap again and go for it next year.

We all agree that the root of all this is venkys, however. Shame there's little we can do to change that.

Why change a formula that you were all happy with for a rival whom you may not have respected.

Can you blame him ? He's been at the club barely six or seven months and he's seen 5 managers in charge in that time. FIVE !

Most fans feel indifferent about Appleton so why are you surprised if players feel the same way?

Yes, because he's paid a fortunate to represent BRFC in a positive way. I'm not surprised by player attitude, they are the ones who are in a large part to blame for our current predicament. Why have none of them, Salgado excepted, ever publicly criticised what has been going on at the club. Ex board members are also conspicuous by their lack of criticism, and I include John Williams, Tom Finn etc in that. Oh, forgot, they all sign non-disclosure agreements in return for hefty pay- offs. No one connected to the club in any official capacity of any kind have ever told the fans what is really going on. They all have to carry some responsibility for the mess we are in. So yes, in answer your question, the players, and Murphy can be palmed for the lack of positive attitude.

Why change a formula that you were all happy with for a rival whom you may not have respected.

Bowyer & McPhillips had the player's backing. I'm not saying it would've worked long-term but, as far as they knew, that was the deal until the end of January - at least. Then Venky's did a u-turn and suddenly they've got Michael Somebody from Blackpool in charge. Now.. had Venky's not been morons and brought in Sparky or Billy Davies, well it might be a different story.

This was the same team that played against Wolves, formula looked pretty much the same to me. Rhodes on his jack up front and a crap midfield with no pace behind him.

what is this obsession with Hughes???

he would never come back. didnt give a monkey about us when he left us and still doesnt

He's a bloomin' good manager (if you keep him away from the chequebook).

Kamy says he was open to the offer. For someone who badgers him for every bit of tittle-tattle, I'm surprised you missed that one.

what is this obsession with Hughes???

he would never come back. didnt give a monkey about us when he left us and still doesnt

He was passionate enough about building a great team up. Left when the Trust's lack of passion became all too obvious.

He was IMO the best manager we have ever had in my long lifetime, better than Dalglish because he didn't have remotely the same spending power.

So, given all that and given he is unemployed and was apparently interested, forgive me for being as obsessed as I like!

Others were interested too but look what we ended up with. A no-one.

i know kamy says this but other journlists said no chance including Cryer.

Hughes would never come back. people/fans need to forget about hughes now. hughes has forget about us for certain.

What about Davies? Do you have an excuse for him, too?

Hughes was a very good manager for us granted but Hughes was always going to leave us at some point.

I really dont think he is interest in us a club now and wouldnt come back whoever the owners is

It's not for you or I to assume anything, it's up to the owners to find out isn't it?

You are being defeatist about this as about much else.

Did they even try? No. Appleton was the only one they wanted. Wonder why?

Bowyer & McPhillips had the player's backing. I'm not saying it would've worked long-term but, as far as they knew, that was the deal until the end of January - at least. Then Venky's did a u-turn and suddenly they've got Michael Somebody from Blackpool in charge. Now.. had Venky's not been morons and brought in Sparky or Billy Davies, well it might be a different story.

When they did the u-turn was it prompted because when they signed Josh king, added loanee Todd Kane, people began to ask who at managerless Rovers is signing these players and loanees.

When they did the u-turn was it prompted because when they signed Josh king, added loanee Todd Kane, people began to ask who at managerless Rovers is signing these players and loanees.

Doing deals with Man Utd and Chelsea? Shabby's grubby mitts all over these two...He's living his fantasy....living the dream I tell you. Making contacts...This time next year Celebrity Big Brother...Mullan will be his boot polisher.

Its the managers fault because these players just won 3 and drew 1 of the last 4 games under Bowyer. They weren't performing for Berg, they were performing for Bowyer, they didn't perform for Appleton. Whats the difference? Not hard it is it!

And nobody on here knows whether Appleton's tactics were good enough because nobody has the knowledge or experience to judge tactical battles at that level. The only thing that can be accurately judged by the layman is end product. Less possession, less shots on target, less goals, 0 points.

A poor start from a poor manager. But if it takes another 10 games and another wasted season to convince you then suppose we can carry this on then, I'm sure the idiots in charge of this club will make sure he doesn't go anywhere.

No it isn't, it's the players. Not that I like Appleton at all, he will have to win me over but you basically state that the players can and will perform for who they choose. Shame on them.

Archived