BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cryer - Leaving LET

Baz

Blogging is huge and widely respected in the right circles. If we are talking about serious issues or issues close to peoples hearts (like their football clubs) then blogging is just as big for the computer literate.

Anybody serious about journalism as a profession in the modern day would make better use of their blog.

Blogging / opinion / comment and news reporting are different forms of journalism that require very different skills - some people can do one or the other and a few can do both. In these days of "citizens journalism" blogging is seen as increasingly important but a good, hard news reporter is worth his weight in gold.

Where's Cryer going - Media City Salford ? Sport ? TV ? Radio ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good riddance. Bottled it when the time really mattered and loves to cause a mass hysteria over nothing. Prime example this season when we were told to learn the Portuguese national anthem, and I think only 1 Portuguese player only played.

Actually gutted now my TV licensing will be paying for him to work at BBC.

Good riddance. Bottled it when the time really mattered and loves to cause a mass hysteria over nothing. Prime example this season when we were told to learn the Portuguese national anthem, and I think only 1 Portuguese player only played.

Way OTT.

You do realise how many Portugeuse we signed last year, don't you? The fact most barely played doesn't mitigate it, it makes it worse!

Working for a local paper is much harder than you imagine. Andy has done a fantastic job of getting news out there and also trying to maintain a relationship with the club, it is a very difficult balancing act. The way he handled the Kean Out campaign was impressive, while national media (bar a few exceptions) were lambasting Rovers fans, Andy was doing articles and going on national radio to defend fans and explain the background to why Rovers fans were so angry.

Well done Andy and hope that you enjoy your new position at the BBC, good time to get out as print journalism is slowing dying, digital media is where it is at now.

Really cant stand Dan Cloughs scribblings, he's total opposite too Cryer in that he's way too biased and borderline unprofessional at times, the rubbish he posts on twitter(via his LT account) is like that of a 13 year old football supporter.

Have to agree with your comments about Dan Clough. I don't like reading his articles - I find his views very negative and unhelpful.

I don't know what Kamy's cv is like, but I'd love to see him replace Cryer. A Rovers fan, great sources, and a good writer.

I understand the need to keep a balanced view of things and try not to upset the club week in week out, but in my opinion Andy Cryer was extremely slow off the mark with bringing Kean and the owners to task. Numerous times Kean was let off the hook in press conferences after making outlandish comments that in my opinion Andy should have nailed him for.

One such exchange was after the Spurs game where kean said something along the lines of:

"You've been negative all season Andy, I've been positive" you just wanted Andy to come back with something along the lines of:

"I've been negative Steve because we're bottom of the league with only x wins in x amount of games, its hard to be positive"

Just my opinion, but I liked reading his reports and good luck to him.

his replacement needs to be an experienced journalist....however given the pathetic money paid by Newsquest all they will get is either some keen young spotty faced runt, or a older hack down on his/her luck and desperate for work.

whilst I was not the greatest fan of Andy he did a reasonable job in challenging circumstances and I sincerely hope it works out for him at the BBC.....is he the new Stuart Hall ?

his replacement needs to be an experienced journalist....however given the pathetic money paid by Newsquest all they will get is either some keen young spotty faced runt, or a older hack down on his/her luck and desperate for work.

whilst I was not the greatest fan of Andy he did a reasonable job in challenging circumstances and I sincerely hope it works out for him at the BBC.....is he the new Stuart Hall ?

christ!

lock up your daughters

Is Alf Thornto still around ?

he took no @#/?, he told it like it was, as did Peter White, both of them great reporters on Rovers matters!

And let's not forget William Westall from the "Blackburn Times", another one whose reports my parents used to send me to arrive on Monday mornings when I was away at College.

Really cant stand Dan Cloughs scribblings, he's total opposite too Cryer in that he's way too biased and borderline unprofessional at times, the rubbish he posts on twitter(via his LT account) is like that of a 13 year old football supporter.

My vote goes to Shebby Singh(football pundit extraordinaire).

Cheers for the glowing appraisal.

I won't be applying for Andy's job. Not prepared to step down as Darwen reporter for anything lower than Premier League football.

Working for a local paper is much harder than you imagine. Andy has done a fantastic job of getting news out there and also trying to maintain a relationship with the club, it is a very difficult balancing act. The way he handled the Kean Out campaign was impressive, while national media (bar a few exceptions) were lambasting Rovers fans, Andy was doing articles and going on national radio to defend fans and explain the background to why Rovers fans were so angry.

Well done Andy and hope that you enjoy your new position at the BBC, good time to get out as print journalism is slowing dying, digital media is where it is at now.

Are you going to apply Kamy? Im sure we could organise a few emails from regulars on here to support your application. Id much sooner read what you have to say, knowing what you already do, rather than a non Rovers supporter in their first job.

Is Alf Thornto still around ?

he took no @#/?, he told it like it was, as did Peter White, both of them great reporters on Rovers matters!

Nearly choked on that Kelbo.

Particularly when we lost, read Alf's reports sometimes and wondered whether I'd been at the same match. Would have been perfect for Kean !!!

Cheers for the glowing appraisal.

I won't be applying for Andy's job. Not prepared to step down as Darwen reporter for anything lower than Premier League football.

Your time will come.

Takes time to discover who you really are and who you want to be - all part of the learning process !

What learning process? A fans point of view isn't it? One mans point of view?

It's Dans point of view and that's it. It's not designed or advertised to be objective.

Peter White could give it out and at the same time give praise when it was deserved. He was harsh with his marks, a nine from Peter White was unheard of, I vaguely recall a 10 (Garns v Derby?).

My word though, Peter White would have torn into these owners. Different times though and as Kamy points out, the written press is facing tough times.

However I find criticism of Andy Cryer for not doing so uncalled for. I'm sure he would have loved to. Probably down to the Editor? We'll never know but I wouldn't be surprised. Biting the hand that feeds you and all that.

All the best to Andy, always very negative during keans reign, mainly because there was feck all to be positive about.

What learning process? A fans point of view isn't it? One mans point of view?

It's Dans point of view and that's it. It's not designed or advertised to be objective.

Peter White could give it out and at the same time give praise when it was deserved. He was harsh with his marks, a nine from Peter White was unheard of, I vaguely recall a 10 (Garns v Derby?).

My word though, Peter White would have torn into these owners. Different times though and as Kamy points out, the written press is facing tough times.

However I find criticism of Andy Cryer for not doing so uncalled for. I'm sure he would have loved to. Probably down to the Editor? We'll never know but I wouldn't be surprised. Biting the hand that feeds you and all that.

All the best to Andy, always very negative during keans reign, mainly because there was feck all to be positive about.

The learning process I refer to is that of being a journalist.

It takes time to find your own identity.

Same applies to lots of jobs.

Simple but true.

The learning process I refer to is that of being a journalist.

It takes time to find your own identity.

Same applies to lots of jobs.

Simple but true.

Yes, I know. You're assuming he wants to be a journalist aren't you? Surely there's a difference between that and a fans take on things?

Christ I'm glad I don't live in your black little world. :blink:

Cause and effect, Bob?

Having said that, it's simply that people don't want to pay for news anymore. Why should I pay 45p for the LT when I can use their website for free?

The answer to those folks is if people don't pay for the paper copy then there won't be a website. Unless they change it to 60% advertising or charge a subscription. But who would pay?

More people would lose their jobs in the paper mills and printing presses, never to be re-employed. This coalition government have decided that jobs will be created by the private sector - but if people don't want to pay for anything, how can that be feasible?

Loss of the local paper would be another nail in the coffin of the community.

Archived