BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS LIVE ON YOUTUBE- Legal

• Moderation Lead

Kenny Miller is absolutely dreadful, he simply cannot be the 2nd best Scottish striker there is, but Strachan isn't the first Scottish manager to favour him...

Not that much of a problem for me anyway, I'm not even Scottish!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBF I didn't say I agreed with that perception, Dan, it just amuses me when people trot it out - especially when England play the likes of San Marino in competitive matches. Fully agree with your post.

Cheers, I feel exactly the same way, but FIFA does a great job of perpetuating the myth! Sorry I attributed that to your opinion, my bad.

I can't agree with this perception at all. The World Cup may be the greatest sports spectacle in the world, but the top club teams in the world play consistently higher quality football than any nation in the world, in my humble opinion. I would be in favour of a more tiered World Cup Qualifying though for each federation, in much the same way the FA Cup is run.

Teams with the lowest FIFA ratings in each regional federation should play a pre-qualifying round before the WC Qualifiers proper. It would do the double duty of allowing these lower ranking nations to play more competitive matches they would have a better chance of winning, as well as raise the quality of play of all the qualifying matches played in the final round of qualifying. You could have group of the lowest ranking nations playing each other home and away with the best 2 moving on to play in the qualifiers proper.

It would also benefit in the sense that the number of matches required to be played in the final qualifying round would be reduced, helping with the fixture list strain on the top players of the top nations. Who wants to get injured playing San Marino in a near walk over match when you've got the Champion's League or FA Cup or something in a couple of weeks? If that player was getting ready for Italy or Germany instead, there is a whole other sense of it "being worth it" and "playing for your country."

They have a system sounding similar to what you speak in CONCACAF (Confederation of North and Central American Football) for countries like Bahamas, Grenada and others.

For Europe, it's hard to say where the cut off would be is my problem with somehow saying "San Marino" can't compete. Because you can keep moving that line, you can say sure, Luxembourg can play competitively but you know they are never going to be much better than the cellar team in any group.

World Cup's lost some or a lot of its aura, time was in the past when Brazil or Argentina played, you didn't know who there players are, now all or most of their players are in the top flight in Europe. It's a smaller world now though I think the World Cup keeps a lot of its mystique and attractfulness.

San Marino are very far below the Faroe Islands in the rankings so it's a little harsh to group them in the same category as just "minnows". Faroe Islands are at 153, San Marino at 207. Compare the records of of both teams and there's a noticeable difference. The only reason they get compared is because they're two of the poorer teams in the overall qualifying rounds, it'd be more practical to compare San Marino to Andorra, Kyrgyzstan and the Cayman Islands (all of whom are above San Marino).

I guess there is some reason why Monaco does not have a team though they've played in exhibitions but I put together the Faroes with San Marino and Andorra because maybe size of country and population are similar. I may be wrong, maybe San Marino is real tiny but I remember a few years ago when England had to defeat Andorra and Andorra parks the bus, England got a result but it was only like 3-0 and nothing until the 2nd half, likewise, Turkey only won in Andorra yesterday 2-0 so I do think Andorra if not just for playing tenacious, do get respectable results.

I don't include the Big Dutchy, Luxembourg with those countries, Luxembourg...Luxembourg defeated Switzerland back in '08 and some of those other results don't look to shabby: http://eloratings.net/Luxembourg.htm but if you keep drawing the line, sure Luxembourg could eventually be one of the first to go to. I guess Montenegro is a tiny country but they sure are coming close to making one of the big tournaments.

I guess there is some reason why Monaco does not have a team though they've played in exhibitions but I put together the Faroes with San Marino and Andorra because maybe size of country and population are similar. I may be wrong, maybe San Marino is real tiny but I remember a few years ago when England had to defeat Andorra and Andorra parks the bus, England got a result but it was only like 3-0 and nothing until the 2nd half, likewise, Turkey only won in Andorra yesterday 2-0 so I do think Andorra if not just for playing tenacious, do get respectable results.

I don't include the Big Dutchy, Luxembourg with those countries, Luxembourg...Luxembourg defeated Switzerland back in '08 and some of those other results don't look to shabby: http://eloratings.net/Luxembourg.htm but if you keep drawing the line, sure Luxembourg could eventually be one of the first to go to. I guess Montenegro is a tiny country but they sure are coming close to making one of the big tournaments.

All fair comments, and you are right about CONCACAF (my home region :)) but I would say that the countries you mentioned would be the ones to make it through that initial qualifying stage anyway, and might be better for it having several competitive wins under their belts...

I guess there is some reason why Monaco does not have a team though they've played in exhibitions

Monaco aren't a member of UEFA for some reason, but they sometimes play in the Viva World Cup - the WC for "countries"/places FIFA won't recognise. MGP has played for Sapmi at some point too - some might say that's about his level ;)

If England are that bothered about playing smaller teams then why don't they just send out a 'B' team?

They're part of FIFA and have as much right to play as anyone else.

---"The way everyone is going on you would think we beat italy not a load of part timers get a grip good win but lets keep it in prospective."

Looks like a fair few England fans were happy you played them.

It was within the last 10 years that we drew 2-2 with Faroe Islands. And didn't San Marino take the lead against England a while ago? The smallest countries rarely achieve good results, but can still come close and score against decent sides. Their fans and players would love that, and no country has the right to try and take it away from them.

Like I said, if England or whoever think they're above playing those teams, then they can just play the back-up members of the squad.

Last November, Montenegro at home only defeated San Marino 3-0. So, England plays at Montenegro later on today... we will see.. http://eloratings.net/San_Marino.htm , Germany beat SM 13-0, Netherlands 11-0 in recent years.

Serbia hosts Scotland, Serbia lost to Croatia, so I see the Serbs taking that as their being frustrated in a big grudge match last week, I'd guess 3-1 but will be for Scotland.

Ireland Republic vs. Austria, Austria defeated Faroe Islands 6-0 last out, so Austria seems on the rebound, may not be good for Ireland without Keane..

France Spain, marquee match, think the Bleus could nick it.

Wales Croatia, Croatia seems to be back to their old ways and playing well. Wales could make things interesting with a win.

Belgium Macedonia, it's been a long time waiting, over a decade but Belgium has about 3 scorers in the top 12 in the Premier League and Belgium may finally be heading back to a big tournament.... have to check the standings but I think so, playoffs at least. http://int.soccerway.com/international/europe/wc-qualifying-europe/2014-brazil/1st-round/ Yes, Belgium look good in group A. Usually hope the Red Devils can win.

• Backroom

For those discussing Monaco, aren't they 'AS Monaco' in the French leagues, rather than choosing to compete as a Nation? Think it's quite sensible that they 'know their level' tbh. And players born in Monaco (I believe) are 'French' for the purposes of FIFA? Or does it depend on parental nationality as normal?

• Backroom

Vukcevic having a bit of a mare against England tonight.

He's making a mockery of the conspiracy theories and showing himself to be just not that good and possibly the most one footed players I've ever seen

Classy control though

England very poor second half but Montenegro were very, very lucky in the last 10 minutes, getting the bounce of the ball time and time again.

Yeah, it's funny but the harder you try the more you seem to get the " bounce of the ball ", I 've never figured that one out. England were dire second half. Milner, Carrick, Gerrard, Cleverley - you're having a laugh. No width, no pace, no tacklers.

Still good enough for us.

1-1

England have been like Rovers second half. Can't string 3 passes together and keep giving the ball away.

Its actually quite an interesting group for once, our key game is Ukraine away, which will be hard and Poland at home.

Yeah, it's funny but the harder you try the more you seem to get the " bounce of the ball ", I 've never figured that one out. England were dire second half. Milner, Carrick, Gerrard, Cleverley - you're having a laugh. No width, no pace, no tacklers.

In Ox, Wilshire, Walcott, Lennon and Parker we do have midfield options.

In Ox, Wilshire, Walcott, Lennon and Parker we do have midfield options.

Yeah I agree. I think if Wilshire and Walcott had been available yesterday it would have been a different result. Plus Phil Jones would have been excellent option from the bench to add some steel (like Man Utd used him against Madrid).

The midfield had far better balance to it with Gerrard behind Cleverly and Wilshire. Not sure Gerrard has the legs for box-to-box anymore.

What Hodgson is trying to do is differently worth sticking with. He's undoing decades of 4-4-2 and opearating in straight lines. When it works (as it did at times last night) we look like a proper international team that can actually retain the ball. Obviously because it's new it'll take time to become consistent.

The biggest thing we are missing is a leader in the central of defence. From Butcher to Adams to Campbell to Terry/Ferdinand...we've had that for the past few decades. We just look a bit soft back there at the moment. Gary Cahill probably the only one with that mentality but he's not at the same level as the aforementioned players.

-----------------------Forster

-------Johnson---Cahill---Jones---Cole

Lennon---Scholes---Wilshere---Carrick---Downing

----------------------Sturridge

Would be my team in Brazil if you qualify.

Rest of squad - Hart, Foster, Richards, Lescott, Jagielka, Baines, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Parker, Lampard, Gerrard, Walcott, Rooney..

Well at the moment players like Downing and Lennon are there because of their form in recent weeks/months. Downing's much better on the left as well when he gets to cross or get to the byline, as opposed to just cutting inside and shooting. It's a tournament so I'm not gonna start Rooney. Plus I'm a fan of Sturridge anyway. Scholes is far too good not to be in the team, I would beg him to come back.

Jones at CB over Jagielka because he's a future England captain imo. Carrick definitely in the starting 11 as he's one of your best players at retaining possession. Oxlade-C in the squad because he has the potential to be top quality as oppose to a Milner or Young who will never be imo.

Hart on the bench because he makes too many mistakes. Seen his one last night, shocking, but did the same against Soton not too long ago. He does s##t like that all time, sketchy goalkeeper imo, just like Reina.

Was never really a fan of Glen Johnson but has gotten better defensively recently so in the team ahead of Richards who won't be getting a game for his club, therefore shouldn't be in the team.

Archived