BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BIGGEST AWAY FOLLOWING EVER AT EWOOD ?

I was at the Bolton game in 1978 (on the Darwen End). How long have you got? :D

Biggest Bolton away following I've ever seen. Around 20k would be about right, I reckon. Went back over the Tockholes route after the game. Traffic jam all the way, got back to Bolton around midnight, went into a night club called The Nocturne - and all the Bolton players arrived on the lash. I've never been so @#/? in all my days.

Good times.

Hope you stay up by the way - although Christ knows you're making hard work of it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the one!

See post number 37

12000 Rovers fans away, wonder if we will ever see that again unless its a semi final or something. The away end was behind the goals at Goodison then, we arrived so late we were put into the paddock right at the front. You were stood below pitch level with your head at the same level as the pitch. Bizarre but fun. Bloody Lineker, mind you he was class.

Sorry ODB I missed your original post.

I'm trying to remember if we equalized briefly in that game .... or did we make it 2-1 with the goal?

Bolton game at Ewood was estimated in their local rag as 15k plus. Rovers at Bury was a 10k estimated following out of a 14k crowd.

Biggest at Ewood for me Sheff wed early 80's, Geordies, Keegans first game, City 2000 but most arrived during and after the game.

Away.. Stoke late 80's at the end of the unbeaten run, 23 games was it ? imagine that now !

Goodison FA cup..where did they all come from ?

Carlise...Bad day

Most games late season in the Don Mckay era, unreal followings considering we were still only getting about 7/8k at home.

We always seemed to win those away games 2-1 as well! I have a vague recollection of Chris Kamara playing for Stoke in that game that ended the run, he was a right dirty bar steward as well.

Sorry ODB I missed your original post.

I'm trying to remember if we equalized briefly in that game .... or did we make it 2-1 with the goal?

As I recall we were two nil down, but it was a long time ago. We had the Park End , although I can`t remember if we had the top deck as well as the bottom terrace, and we had the paddock also, which was were I was was, crushed near the front. It was packed in there. The crowd for that game was given as 41,831, which when you compare it to the average at Goodison that season was impressive-32,227. Lineker was the difference, finishing supremely well. Pat Van Den Hauwe scored the other, and I think he also scored for us too. I remember getting on the coach after the game, the radio report said it was the biggest crowd of the day in England. Was well chuffed.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/everton-v-blackburn-rovers-25-january-1986-215579/

http://www.toffeeweb.com/history/records/attendances.asp

Biggest Bolton away following I've ever seen. Around 20k would be about right, I reckon. Went back over the Tockholes route after the game. Traffic jam all the way, got back to Bolton around midnight, went into a night club called The Nocturne - and all the Bolton players arrived on the lash. I've never been so @#/? in all my days.

Good times.

Hope you stay up by the way - although Christ knows you're making hard work of it.

I went to that game with two pals from work who were neutrals. Apart from it being a nice evening and Frank Worthington doing a trick or two I can't remember a thing about it ! I'm getting worried now ! Apart from the circumstances it must have been a poor game, did it end up 1-0 ?

Oh yes, about 12,000 according to an Everton fan I was talking to after game. Never seen a bigger following apart from finals and semis.

I missed this game but remember being out around the Witton area and seeing the massive convoy of coaches heading up Buncer lane..I was told the away end paddock was dangerously overcrowded that game and some!

Good times.

Bolton fans still talk about that game. The away following increases every time it comes up!! :lol:

I actually think there was about 14-15K Bolton fans.

How many car horns were going after the game!!

Got a few duffings at school next day....even though you won....!!

I've never been allowed to forget that one.

Good times.

Tell me about it, took me forever to get home that evening. I was on the Blackburn end and it seemed about 80% Bolton in there, most looking in vain for someone to fight. 1-0 to them and the kind of promotion party I thought we'd never see again for ourselves

That's the one!

See post number 37

12000 Rovers fans away, wonder if we will ever see that again unless its a semi final or something. The away end was behind the goals at Goodison then, we arrived so late we were put into the paddock right at the front. You were stood below pitch level with your head at the same level as the pitch. Bizarre but fun. Bloody Lineker, mind you he was class.

I was also stood with my head at grass level, each terracing step had a rise of about 2". Getting out of there was a huge and frightening crush, one of only 2 times I feared for my health leaving a ground (the other, bizarrely, was Rochdale away in the early 70s)

I was also stood with my head at grass level, each terracing step had a rise of about 2". Getting out of there was a huge and frightening crush, one of only 2 times I feared for my health leaving a ground (the other, bizarrely, was Rochdale away in the early 70s)

One of the worst exits from a ground for me was when we played Liverpool away....think it was early 80's? Anfield road end if memory serves me right. The crush getting out was frightening, my feet didn't touch the floor for what seemed like 30 yards.

The worst was England V Spain in the world cup in '82. We went on an unofficial coach from sunny Benidorm (it was ok in those days!). Ended up lost on my own in Madrid for 2 hours after the match, very worrying couple of hours. Stumbled across my coach as I made my way to the train station.

Edit - Liverpool was league cup replay away in '87 after we drew at home.

The city game in 69 was the largest crowd I have seen at Ewood and the majority were City fans. The 99/00 match against city was notable for the number of city fans who got in for the last 15 minutes when the gates opened. I remember the Bolton game but don't remember any trouble. Away following at a League game for us possibly Port vale in 75

Anyone remember boro away ? Boxing Day?!

It were a bit of a rum do.

Aye, we thought we were doing well until leaving the ground. Then found most of the lovely people of Boro wanting to kill us. Theyre a rough lot :blink:

1960 FA Cup 6th round replay v Bumley.

One of the very first games my dad took me to. The gate was just shy of 54,000 so I would think that a good number of our six fingered friends must have been there. Forgive my memory, I was only 10.

Did they have six fingers back then or had the evolution of that particular species not fully evolved back then?

Anyone remember boro away ? Boxing Day?!

It were a bit of a rum do.

It was Boro's highest crowd for 20 odd years at the time. All seats full in that end and we had to stand on the steps at the back as loads of others did, prob over capacity lol I remember Don Mackay saying the following was more than half our home crowd at the time. Also remember them smashing down the big tin fence on the way out then jumping through ! Madness outside.

Anyone remember Notts County away in cup about 91 ish ? Weren't we set to take 7 thousand plus but it got cancelled and put back to midweek. We still took about 5k though. Had all the end and a side enclosure and some seats i think.

I was in the Park End terrace at Everton for the Lineker game, and remember being hardly able to move all through the game. If you managed to raise your arms to clap, you found it almost impossible to get them back down by your sides again. My mate had a fag stubbed out on his chin - the fag was in another bloke's mouth at the time but neither of them could do anything about it as they were squashed together. It was great fun at the time, but thinking back we were probably not that far from being part of a disaster.

Archived