BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni McCarthy Retires

Played for us for one year although paid for much longer. Didn't get what he was playing for, a transfer to Chelsea and then gave up (while continuing to take the money). I have no respect for him at all.

I think you are right. Ince might well have been a total ***but it seems he is being conveniently used by some players to externalise their responsibility.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does "externalise their responsibility" mean in English ?

Ince always was a daft appointment by Rovers - so why did Blackpool think he would be a good manager? I assume he only got the job so they could keep Thomas Ince a little longer before they had to sell him. McCarthy was great for us for about 18 months but the way he let himself go physically was totally unprofessional and a disgrace. Well done to the club though for persuading West Ham to give us money for Benni McDonalds as he had become by then,

As a candidate, Ince had more of a case to be Rovers manager than Kean ever did.

As much as I dislike him? He did have a lower league track record. Williams' mistake was thinking that a his playing record and old school intimidation style would have the same affect on PL-quality players that it did on lower league, non-international egos. He managed to get them grafting for him. It could be argued the players' egos we're a part of the problem but I think Oyston's gamble put paid to the theory,

It could also be argued that the rot started under Ince. I imagine Friedal and Bentley would have been central to Allardyce's plans.

I think you are right. Ince might well have been a total ***but it seems he is being conveniently used by some players to externalise their responsibility.

Players that performed well under Hughes and then Allardyce but dipped when Ince was in charge? Plain as a pikestaff that Ince is no manager of men.

Whether players are paid a lot or not is largely irrelevent (I was taught that money against popular belief is in fact a demotivator and NOT a motivational tool.) cos we see time and again the effect on teams when new managers take over. High profile fails ...Clough at Leeds, Hodgson at Livve, Moyes currently and Ince and Kean of course and high profile successes KMD / Hughes / Allardyce here, Mourhino everywhere he goes, Wenger etc.

What does "externalise their responsibility" mean in English ?

Ince always was a daft appointment by Rovers - so why did Blackpool think he would be a good manager? I assume he only got the job so they could keep Thomas Ince a little longer before they had to sell him. McCarthy was great for us for about 18 months but the way he let himself go physically was totally unprofessional and a disgrace. Well done to the club though for persuading West Ham to give us money for Benni McDonalds as he had become by then,

Locate personal responsibility outside oneself onto other people/ other things...although, in all honesty, I would have expected someone from Wilpshire to have known this already! Anyway, it was one of the things Brian Kidd went on about in the era of" rubber dingy men."

• Backroom

Really enjoyed that interview :) he's quite down-to-earth given how he seemed to let himself go in the end.

Nonetheless it was a privilege to see him baffle opposition players. His chemistry with Pedersen and Tugay gave us some amazing football. That goal against Arsenal is my 2nd favourite goal from Ewood (my fave being the Tugay Special vs Spurs the same season). That team was probably the best team I'll be likely to witness. Shame I was too young to witness the SAS :/

As a candidate, Ince had more of a case to be Rovers manager than Kean ever did.

As much as I dislike him? He did have a lower league track record. Williams' mistake was thinking that a his playing record and old school intimidation style would have the same affect on PL-quality players that it did on lower league, non-international egos. He managed to get them grafting for him. It could be argued the players' egos we're a part of the problem but I think Oyston's gamble put paid to the theory,

It could also be argued that the rot started under Ince. I imagine Friedal and Bentley would have been central to Allardyce's plans.

No doubt about that. The problem for me is that just listening to Ince's patter, you have really got to wonder how Williams even considered the possibility that he might be a premiership manager.

I had a sense that something was already starting to slip towards the end of Hughes' tenure. The away performance at already relegated Brum, for instance, was like the hors d'oeuvres for what we would get under Ince and Kean. There were some terrible performances under Big Sam too...so bad I felt we were only fulfilling certain fixtures.

The reality is that since Hughes, we have had six managers. Four have been awful - Ince, Coco, Berg and Appleton- and five have lacked experience.

I did think Allardyce had stopped the Ince rot, but we didn't invest to help him continue the improvement. That is where new owners should have come in!!

Good old Benni. Great goalscorer and scorer of great goals, very skilful player with excellent close control, amusing interviews and seemingly a nice, laid back guy....but very poor professional in many respects and there really is no excuse or justification for a pro-sportsman losing his body shape and all round fitness so badly.

Shame he tainted the memories, but he gave us some good ones nevetherless. Best of luck Benni Mac.

Locate personal responsibility outside oneself onto other people/ other things...although, in all honesty, I would have expected someone from Wilpshire to have known this already! Anyway, it was one of the things Brian Kidd went on about in the era of" rubber dingy men."

Thank you for clarifying that, though I'm not sure where one lives has any bearing on the matter.

So in plain English, it means or shifting responsibility on to others or "passing the buck". Sounds like Americanese management nonsense to me - no wonder Kidd never made it as a manager.

Thank you for clarifying that, though I'm not sure where one lives has any bearing on the matter.

So in plain English, it means or shifting responsibility on to others or "passing the buck". Sounds like Americanese management nonsense to me - no wonder Kidd never made it as a manager.

I didn't think yours was an entirely serious question, tbh.. Just more message board point scoring. If it is not political correctness, it's someone's use of English!

It was a serious question because I'd never seen or heard it before. I don't see why plain English should be seen as "political correctness". And just because someone uses it does not mean it is correct. Anyway, goodbye Benni McCarthy - a very good player and worth the admission price alone for some of the outstanding goals he scored for us.

It was a serious question because I'd never seen or heard it before. I don't see why plain English should be seen as "political correctness". And just because someone uses it does not mean it is correct. Anyway, goodbye Benni McCarthy - a very good player and worth the admission price alone for some of the outstanding goals he scored for us.

I don't believe you. What is this?..Dr Johnson's Blue and White Army?!

I remember when we signed him and i was telling my mate how i thought he would be a good signing. His reply was "He's past it, he will be lucky to get more than 5 goals in the prem"

In more recent Rovers history, he shuffles alongside Bentley as being a talented footballer who's career took such a nose dive. I couldn't even tell you where Bentley has actually ended up now.

Guest Norbert

Bentley is still a free agent according to Wikipedia, just so you know. Cue loads of fans saying he should be signed, forgetting the point Davulsukur highlighted.

I remember when we signed him and i was telling my mate how i thought he would be a good signing. His reply was "He's past it, he will be lucky to get more than 5 goals in the prem"

In more recent Rovers history, he shuffles alongside Bentley as being a talented footballer who's career took such a nose dive. I couldn't even tell you where Bentley has actually ended up now.

Currently a free agent, that means free and can sign now!

If shebby still reads the board OMG

There are plenty of players in recent years who have left Rovers and their career has stalled or regressed. Benni and Bentley (who doesn't have a club) as you have said, although in fairness to Benni he was the wrong side of 30 when he left. Lucas Neill, Steven Warnock, Santa Cruz, Samba are all other examples. And to extent Damien Duff I know he won two premier league's but he never really fulfilled the potential he had and he was only a bit part player for the second league wining season and then he was sold and has never really done anything at Newcastle or Fulham.

Quite shocked to see Bentley has no club (not saying i would take him back) but you would think that he would have been taken on somewhere. Wages are probably the stumbling block, as you would imagine he still believes he is worth alot more than he actually is.

Good point Somerset rover, i would remove Duff tho, 2 league titles was enough and age an injuries will have played a part in his downfall. Still did well for Fulham not too long ago.

The others, fair point, but Bentley has gone from replacing Beckham on the right for England to no club at all. Its not like it was a passing comment, the lad was a really talented footballer. A spectacular nose dive for a footballers career.

What's up with him, anyone know? Attitude issues?

I don't believe you. What is this?..Dr Johnson's Blue and White Army?!

Whether you believe me or not is immaterial. I'm merely stating my opinion, which is the point of messageboard is it not ?

With regards to David Bentley, when he looks back on his career, although undoubtedly much richer after his move to Tottenham, he must rue the day he decided to leave Rovers.

As a club we gave him the platform to go from Norwich and Arsenal reserve to the England squad and the player most likely to take the place of a waning David Beckham. He was an excellent player for us and would have gone on to greater heights if only he had realised that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.

What a waste of talent.

Whether you believe me or not is immaterial. I'm merely stating my opinion, which is the point of messageboard is it not ?

With regards to David Bentley, when he looks back on his career, although undoubtedly much richer after his move to Tottenham, he must rue the day he decided to leave Rovers.

As a club we gave him the platform to go from Norwich and Arsenal reserve to the England squad and the player most likely to take the place of a waning David Beckham. He was an excellent player for us and would have gone on to greater heights if only he had realised that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.

What a waste of talent.

He's not a lonely boy in that regard WB, is he?

The country's full of one hit wonders and wanabees. Problem is they're all still millionaires that can neither spell or add up.

What a great player Benni was. We signed him at 29 and got 3 years out of him, most of which he was excellent for. He faded because he was32 and was past his best. You can hardly compare his demise to Bentley's as DB must have only been about 24 when he left Rovers.

In terms of skill and technique only second to Tugay IMO. I would include the prem winning team in that. Lacked pace or strength but such good movement and finishing.

The team in Hughes' 3rd season was exceptional. The quality of the Prem had gone up so much I would say there is a viable argument that it was a better side than the Prem winning team.... Well Shearer aside. I wish we could have retained Bellamy as a trio of RSC, Benni and Bellamy would have meant a good stab at CL qualification. We had very good players in every position -Freidal, Neill,Warnock, Samba, Nelsen, Bentley, Pedersen, Tugay, Savage, RSC, Benni. A bit of quality in depth and Bellamy staying would have made all the difference.

In terms of skill and technique only second to Tugay IMO. I would include the prem winning team in that. Lacked pace or strength but such good movement and finishing.

The team in Hughes' 3rd season was exceptional. The quality of the Prem had gone up so much I would say there is a viable argument that it was a better side than the Prem winning team.... Well Shearer aside. I wish we could have retained Bellamy as a trio of RSC, Benni and Bellamy would have meant a good stab at CL qualification. We had very good players in every position -Freidal, Neill,Warnock, Samba, Nelsen, Bentley, Pedersen, Tugay, Savage, RSC, Benni. A bit of quality in depth and Bellamy staying would have made all the difference.

It was a priviledge to watch that lot turning out at ewood..... and maybe one that many did not fully appreciate. Anybody who watched the club through the 60's 70's and 80's and witnessed such dismal talents as Gilliver, Fryatt, Lord, Radford etc could never ever have imagined that the likes of this chap would play in the blue and sign for us.

The stuff of legends from Wiki... He (BenniMac at Porto) grabbed the Golden Boot award (with 20 goals in 23 games) on the final day with a terrific hat-trick, and was instrumental in Porto's superb run in the 2004 UEFA Champions League, which they won. Notably, he was responsible for scoring two goals against Manchester United to defeat them in the second round.

Lest we forget. Before the Walker years the likes of Shearer, Sutton, Sukor, BennyMac, RSC, Cole, Jansen, Bellamy would only ever have come here in some 3rd round cup tie.

Archived