BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni McCarthy Retires

In my opinion one of the best finishers of the ball we've had since Shearer. Hanging up his boots now, too be fair to him he was prolific in his first season here but was always a lazy b*stard! That goal against arsenal in the FA Cup one of my highlights of him being here, was also at the game away at reading where he scored a total of I think 4 goals but had 3 disallowed!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

He more or less retired by the time we sold him to West Ham. Is he now involved in marketing in South Africa for Frey Bentos?

An amazing talent when fit and motivated.

Another in the list of 'could have been world class had he taken his talent seriously'.

Sad to see him fat the other year, whilst a professional footballer.

Awesome player when interested, otherwise a student of the Dwight Yorke can't be arsed class, and another who's fitness regime was sadly lacking for a pro footballer.

I wish him all the best because he gave many happy moments to all Rovers fans.

In my opinion one of the best finishers of the ball we've had since Shearer. Hanging up his boots now, too be fair to him he was prolific in his first season here but was always a lazy b*stard! That goal against arsenal in the FA Cup one of my highlights of him being here, was also at the game away at reading where he scored a total of I think 4 goals but had 3 disallowed!

Then he got booked for throwing the ball towards the linesman haha.

• Backroom

A good first season, but clearly struggled to motivate himself and that's why he was with us when with his natural talents he could have been playing almost anywhere.

To be honest I thought he'd retired once West Ham let him go.

When he could be bothered, what a cracking player he was. I think his interviews were gold as well he seemed a funny guy. Never made the best of his talents which is a shame. Was at his best when we were a couple of goals up and he had his tail up IMO.

mentally retired after his first season for us(when he didn`t get his move to chelsea). could do no wrong with a lot of our fans, but i`m afraid i don`t get that at all. why did dwight yorke get so much crap when mccarthy`s attitude was even worse? don`t recall yorke being so unprofessional as to blow up like a balloon in weight.

• Moderation Lead

FA Cup 5th? Round replay after a 0-0 draw at The Emirates. The first away team to keep a clean sheet there I believe.

One of my favourite Rovers goals no question.

Ditto me. Remember this like it was yesterday.

His head turned when there were rumours of interest from Chelsea, and he went off the boil. When at his best-quality.

mccarthy`s entire career consisted of doing well initially at clubs, then losing interest after a season or 2. rovers should have took the money for him IF chelsea had offered it. played more games for rovers than any other club, but his stats suggest we kept him too long.

Was this Chelsea interest genuine does anyone know? At the time I just presumed it was lazy journalism because of McCarthy playing for Mourinho at Porto.

But I read an interview with Benni a year or two ago and he said something along the lines of he will never forgive us for not letting him go there.

2nd highest goalscorer behind Drogba in the league if I recall. He was top quality that season. And then we got 2.5 million for him haha. That's got to be right up there in terms of the best transfer business in recent years.

He must have just lost his way mentally big time. He couldn't even get fit for a World Cup hosted in his own country.

FA Cup 5th? Round replay after a 0-0 draw at The Emirates. The first away team to keep a clean sheet there I believe.

One of my favourite Rovers goals no question.

Who provided the assist for that goal?

• Backroom

One of the most gifted players I've ever seen in blue and white and a joy and privilege to watch

He could be frustrating but he's the most talented backheeler I've ever seen as well and gave fantastic interviews

Archived