BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Jones - What were your thoughts?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

The squad would have been stronger with Jones in it, than we are with Judge and Marrow.

I disagree on Judge as I feel he's essentially a non-injured Dunn (but Dunn has that quality of instant fan inclusion and cheering, so gets better treatment. And Rochina is ahead of him too).

Re: Marrow I disagree too tbh. I agree Jones is better, but I'd rather get rid of Etuhu or even Williamson before Marrow. Esp as he's just a back-up player anyway.

I disagree on Judge as I feel he's essentially a non-injured Dunn (but Dunn has that quality of instant fan inclusion and cheering, so gets better treatment. And Rochina is ahead of him too).

Re: Marrow I disagree too tbh. I agree Jones is better, but I'd rather get rid of Etuhu or even Williamson before Marrow. Esp as he's just a back-up player anyway.

Jones is before all three of them and by some distance.

btw Judge imo is a good player with a good footballing brain, a prodigious work rate and an excellent dead ball delivery. Unfortunately he is short of outright pace and too easily brushed off the ball which is why he struggles on the wing. imo his best position is in the hole behind a striker where Dunn and Rochina should play but for some reason Bowyer doesn't appear to fancy him there.

• Backroom

Jones is before all three of them and by some distance.

btw Judge imo is a good player with a good footballing brain, a prodigious work rate and an excellent dead ball delivery. Unfortunately he is short of outright pace and too easily brushed off the ball which is why he struggles on the wing. imo his best position is in the hole behind a striker where Dunn and Rochina should play but for some reason Bowyer doesn't appear to fancy him there.

Pretty much my view on Judge. He's unlucky that Rochina has that potential to change a game on its head (and is better tbh) while Dunn gets the fans excited.

Why he doesn't get a run behind Rhodes is beyond me. With his passing and dribbling ability, I don't reckon pace is really needed (Dunn ain't quick). I'd even suggest being a tad lightweight may draw more fouls from which to utilise his/Cairney's free kicks.

Pretty much my view on Judge. He's unlucky that Rochina has that potential to change a game on its head (and is better tbh) while Dunn gets the fans excited.

Why he doesn't get a run behind Rhodes is beyond me. With his passing and dribbling ability,

Because he doesn't actually create anything or score goals?

Judge takes the eye because he's a busy player and an ex academy lad. However, if he actually had real creativity in his play, he wouldn't have been playing at a standard above Plymouth and Notts County for the last few seasons. 23 career goals to date as well, surely shows he's not a great threat.

• Moderation Lead

Taught Joey Barton and Nico Kranjcar a lesson today.

Still wouldnt get in your side this season though.

Your style of posting is equivalent to a child playing 'knock a door run'.

But does he leave a burning bag of dogger on the door step as well?

The thing is I asked for views on Jones back in July and largely got pretty solid, honest and accurate assessments. On the whether he's better than X or Y or whether he'd get in your team is immaterial. He clearly was a perfect fit for our squad and managers way of playing. He may have been less so for Bowyer or your squad. Equally had we signed an Evans etc they may not have been as good a fit for us and so not had the same impact - wouldn't make them a poor player, just the wrong place/wrong time.

That said considering the pedigree of Barton and Krancjar they were somewhat surprisingly pretty much second best to Jones and Marney for most of the game.

• Moderation Lead

The thing is I asked for views on Jones back in July and largely got pretty solid, honest and accurate assessments. On the whether he's better than X or Y or whether he'd get in your team is immaterial. He clearly was a perfect fit for our squad and managers way of playing. He may have been less so for Bowyer or your squad. Equally had we signed an Evans etc they may not have been as good a fit for us and so not had the same impact - wouldn't make them a poor player, just the wrong place/wrong time.

That said considering the pedigree of Barton and Krancjar they were somewhat surprisingly pretty much second best to Jones and Marney for most of the game.

Just because you both support the same team doesn't mean I view your posts in the same way. I like the views of fans of other teams on here, it gives a good balance. But, Jones has made a bigger difference to your team than he did to ours, is the overall point for me.

I agree K-HOD. It happens a lot, you have a player that rates as anything from poor to average and they go elsewhere and look like world beaters - and vice versa. Sometimes there may also be an element of if you've been eating beans on toast for a year, even a KFC will taste like the best food ever ^_^

Yes, we played Arsenal last February, Williamson and Lowe kept Arteta and Rosicky and then Wilshire and Cazorla pretty quite.

It's a non debate in regards to Jones for me. Cairney (if we tie him up), Evans, Lowe and Rochina all have far more potential than Jones. WIth most of them it's realised potential. There is no way I would take Jones over any of them.

Its a bit misleading to talk about the 'pedigree' of Barton and Krancjar, premiership experience means nothing in this league.

Look how Murphy/Etuthu/Nuno Gomes/Pedersen got on last year they were generally outplayed every week.

You guys are making out like all Burnley's success is down to Jones? Surely it is the whole team playing well and getting results above the sum of the parts. Hence individuals look good.

OJ you are in danger of doing the very thing Rovers fans often accuse Burnley fans of - judging our performance by comparing it solely to yours. Truth be told if you look at the results just before and since the game at the Turf it was arguably your best result of the period, so far nobody has walked away from the Turf with a point since - and you were the first to do so since the opening game of the season (though I suspect that will not be true come 5 O'Clock Saturday)!. Played 15 League and cup games so far this season, Won 12, lost 1 drawn 2.

Obviously we ain't Barca - about the only thing we have in common with them is a fantastic work ethic - but we are muddling through. It won't last - which is why we should enjoy it now, surely?

Irks mento say it but creditnto yournlot. I noticed how hard you work as a unit when I saw you early doors against Bolton. I know there's along way to go but you should be there abouts. Watch out for us storming into the playoffs late on.

Archived