BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Jones - What were your thoughts?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would still prefer Evans over Jones. Unfortunately the injury Evans got any midfielder could suffer with the type of challenge he received.

Lowe in my opinion is also showing signs of development and improvement this season.

Now if you ask me if I would rather have had Jones instead of Etuhu and Marrow. Then the answer would be yes. Also would I prefer Jones over Williamson, again probably simple because of Williamson injury record.

I would still prefer Evans over Jones. Unfortunately the injury Evans got any midfielder could suffer with the type of challenge he received.

Lowe in my opinion is also showing signs of development and improvement this season.

Now if you ask me if I would rather have had Jones instead of Etuhu and Marrow. Then the answer would be yes. Also would I prefer Jones over Williamson, again probably simple because of Williamson injury record.

How about Williamsons lack of pace. We might laugh at the Burnley incident but his inability to even get out of 2nd gear is an embarrassment.

That's not to mention Dunn's injury record. Play a game miss the next ten.

I would take Evans over Jones every day of the week. I see him as Jones replacement. I wouldn't have signed Jones this summer and I pleased with most of the signings made this summer

Lowe has improve this season and looking better each game he plays.

Cairney is very good footballer and I hope we can sign him permanent in January

Williamson is decent footballer. IMO Marrow was signed a back up player. will be on low cost wages anyway

I would take Evans over Jones every day of the week. I see him as Jones replacement. I wouldn't have signed Jones this summer and I pleased with most of the signings made this summer

Lowe has improve this season and looking better each game he plays.

Cairney is very good footballer and I hope we can sign him permanent in January

Williamson is decent footballer. IMO Marrow was signed a back up player. will be on low cost wages anyway

Really Chaddy? Well how about canvassing the dingles to see if they would swap him for any of our midfielders?

Really Chaddy? Well how about canvassing the dingles to see if they would swap him for any of our midfielders?

yeah really. that's is my opinion. this messageboard is all about different opinion which is the idea of this sort of thing.

secondly, I have spoken to a couple of Burnley fans who are season ticket holders who I know about Jones recently and they say he is good championship player but no too special. they also rated Evans highly and wish they had sign him but Rovers did.

• Backroom

I see it more as...........we got Marrow instead of Jones :red_card:

So you would've bought Jones (likely on bigger wages than Marrow) to keep him out of the team with occasional appearances on the bench?

yeah really. that's is my opinion. this messageboard is all about different opinion which is the idea of this sort of thing.

secondly, I have spoken to a couple of Burnley fans who are season ticket holders who I know about Jones recently and they say he is good championship player but no too special. they also rated Evans highly and wish they had sign him but Rovers did.

I can't really say whether I'd take any of your midfielders as I haven't seen anywhere near enough of them. What I've seen of Cairney he looks a very useful player and I know you all rave about Evans so he must be doing a lot of things right.

On the Burnley fans you've spoken to, they have a very different opinion to the ones I speak to. Those, to a man and woman feel Jones has been an essential piece of our jigsaw.

This article won't interest you but at the end they've asked Burnley fans which are our key performers - everyone of them named Jones. He may not be spectacular but he makes us tick - http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/33158/league-leading-burnley-reaping-rewards-of-sound-approach-work-%E2%80%93-opposition-profile?

This article won't interest you but at the end they've asked Burnley fans which are our key performers - everyone of them named Jones. He may not be spectacular but he makes us tick - http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/33158/league-leading-burnley-reaping-rewards-of-sound-approach-work-–-opposition-profile?

Didn't read your link Longsiders, but yes Jones isn't spectacular, but he's not there to be spectacular, he's there to get the ball and give it, and he mostly does it well. He's strong and doesn't disappear when things get a bit tough. He would have been a good, not great, addition to our squad. For some reason our manager decided not to pursue him, then went and signed two other midfielders who add nothing to the squad.

It's also strange how fans - now he's left - suddenly don't rate him, yet wax lyrical about a certain Spanish midfielder who so far has proven nothing at all. It's all down to backing your own players ahead of the oppositions, no matter what the truth is. Loads of fans do it.

On the Burnley fans you've spoken to, they have a very different opinion to the ones I speak to. Those, to a man and woman feel Jones has been an essential piece of our jigsaw.

This article won't interest you but at the end they've asked Burnley fans which are our key performers - everyone of them named Jones. He may not be spectacular but he makes us tick - http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/33158/league-leading-burnley-reaping-rewards-of-sound-approach-work-%E2%80%93-opposition-profile?

Thats cos Chaddy made that bit up to suit his agenda longsiders. ;)

Didn't read your link Longsiders, but yes Jones isn't spectacular, but he's not there to be spectacular, he's there to get the ball and give it, and he mostly does it well. He's strong and doesn't disappear when things get a bit tough. He would have been a good, not great, addition to our squad. For some reason our manager decided not to pursue him, then went and signed two other midfielders who add nothing to the squad.

It's also strange how fans - now he's left - suddenly don't rate him, yet wax lyrical about a certain Spanish midfielder who so far has proven nothing at all. It's all down to backing your own players ahead of the oppositions, no matter what the truth is. Loads of fans do it.

Majority of replies I have read have said exactly the same as you? He's a steady player and that's that.

If you mean Cairney and Evans as the two other players then I disagree entirely.

Cairney can pass the ball and play numerous positions - wing in a 442. Evans in the last few games before his unfortunate injury has really set the pace for us, box to box and pushes on, scored and assisted.

On the Rochina debate it is interesting, but we are crying out for a creative attacker and he is one of the few that is on our books.

Of course like any young attacker he may be wasteful but from the glimmer we saw at Derby he made things happen - which is exactly what we needed at Charlton. We only needed that one through ball, or a bit of skill and guile to open up a defence and the game could have completely turned in our favour.

I do think Jones and Rochina would have complemented each other very well Den. The lightweights that we have do not have Rochina's ability.

On the Rochina debate it is interesting, but we are crying out for a creative attacker and he is one of the few that is on our books.

Of course like any young attacker he may be wasteful but from the glimmer we saw at Derby he made things happen - which is exactly what we needed at Charlton. We only needed that one through ball, or a bit of skill and guile to open up a defence and the game could have completely turned in our favour.

Indeed so Jonny. I didn't go to the match as I was away but various reports suggest that both King and Rhodes were regularly 'doubled up' on by the Charlton defenders and midfielders. That is something which teams do to Rochina but they cannot double up on three without screwing themselves over can they? Rochina possesses matchwinning abilities, he wont do it every week (but even Rhodes doesn't do that), and the weeks that he is lacking he contributes little else (JR again).

Its simple really. Jones is a good player, doing well for them did well for us. I do prefer Evans to Jones. Until his injury it was quite visible what he offered to the team and I think he offers more than Jones. I although a lot don't, rate Lowe and he is improving this season. Cairney has also done well in CM. After those three yes I would take Jones over Williamson, Marrow and Etuhu based on his perfamance last season but not on his performances for Fulham). But would Jones be happy battling Evans, Lowe and Cairney for a CM spot. Jones strikes me as a player who will want to play games and not sit on the bench.

Before its pointed out how well Burnley are doing and they are playing very well however much I don't want to say it but they have yet to suffer anything like the injuries we have had this season. Its not just the number of injuries its who gets injured. The injuries keep happening to key players and seem to keep stop us building up any momentum.

The injuries keep happening to players that add considerably to the attacking side our team.

DJ - looked in preseason the striker most in form. I know Im not sure just how well he combines with Rhodes but he is in my opinion a very good player for this league

Rochina - looked really up and playing well out straight away.

Dunn- out when again in form (I know in reality he spends most time injured)

Evans - hits really consistent form after being unavailable through injury.Genuinely all round cm. Just as we seem to be getting momentum and he looks our best player he is out again because of a bad challenge.

Now when you mix in some of the other players out at different times already this season then it has to have an impact. Robinson - our number one keeper, Williamson (missed preseason and unavailable for 6 of the games this season - so going to also lack match sharpness), Etuhu (I know he was poor last season but he was a decent player at Fulham and may well respond to Bowyer and the different team attitude - also before last season how many of fans would have chosen Jones over Etuhu), Henley, Kilgallon only just back.

In my opinion there are not many teams in this league who wouldn't suffer with that number of injuries to their best/key players. QPR would probably be best able to cope. There is no way Burnley would be where they are now if the had lost Ings, and Jones along with a few more injured as well. The odds are teams like Burnley will at some point in the season will suffer injuries as we already have.

Im not turning the injured players into world class stars but neither can you convince me that we are anything like as strong without them. Dunn, Rochina, DJ could well have made a difference in tight games. Games like Charlton.

Its not just that players are out injured, injured players can take time to get fitness and sharpness back. It more often than not takes time. You could easily see how Evans was improving the more games he played.

It could well be that this carries on for the rest of the season. It could also be that that those players return and stay fit for the second half of the season which might give us the chance to build some momentum.

A lot of teams in this division would love to be able to have the prospect of players like Rochina, Dunn, Robinson, Etuhu, Henley and Evans returning to a first team squad for the second half of a season.

I genuinely believe the key is not becoming to far adrift of the play off teams before the majority of players return and are genuinely match fit/sharp. You would expect DJ, Williamson and Kilgallon to improve the more games they play as their full match sharpness returns. Hopefully players like King and Cairney will have better games than Charlton. King I know was doubled up on and didn't have much space, but he was in part responsible for the goal they scored as he didn't do his job and get close to their player - Dann was also not tight enough)

The fans I spoken do rated Jones highly and said he' good championship player. he keeps its simple and good box to box midfielder with goodish set pieces delivery. when I said not too special I meant he doesn't take on players with skills like Cairney but keep it simple mostly. that's what I meant t say so sorry for not explaining that point. so apologises

Thats cos Chaddy made that bit up to suit his agenda longsiders. ;)

I used to work with some fans who were Burnley fans and I kept in contact with them so I asked for their view on Jones! so what's the problem???

• Moderation Lead

Ultimately we saw last season that Jones improved our midfield, but Cairney and Evans have made more of a difference than he did in my view.

He's made a bigger difference to Burnley than he did to us.

I genuinely wanted us to sign Jones. He had real composure and obvious quality when he was with us last year. Shame we forced him over to the dark side.

I think Bowyer thought 'who needs Jones when we've got Lowe?'

The fans I spoken do rated Jones highly and said he' good championship player. he keeps its simple and good box to box midfielder with goodish set pieces delivery. when I said not too special I meant he doesn't take on players with skills like Cairney but keep it simple mostly. that's what I meant t say so sorry for not explaining that point. so apologises

I used to work with some fans who were Burnley fans and I kept in contact with them so I asked for their view on Jones! so what's the problem???

Pretty fair summary - though I think as fans we often under value players who don't take on several players etc - Tony Grant in the early 00's was a player I always rated but many didn't, then again a lot of Burnley fans seem to rate players that do the headless chicken thing with loads of energy and effort above those who read games so well and have good technique they make what they do look effortless which many of our fans seem to interpret as lazy.

On the injury thing. We have had injuries this season already and have also played games without Jones and our other first choice centre mid Marney but I do take the point that we've been lucky because our front 2 have avoided injury so far - we have no obvious cover for there and would need to play somebody out of position up top - probably have to adjust shape and system.

Majority of replies I have read have said exactly the same as you? He's a steady player and that's that.

If you mean Cairney and Evans as the two other players then I disagree entirely.

Cairney can pass the ball and play numerous positions - wing in a 442. Evans in the last few games before his unfortunate injury has really set the pace for us, box to box and pushes on, scored and assisted.

No, I didn't mean them Jonny. Too much is made of the "who replaced him" argument. No one replaced him. He is a midfielder who even played on the right wing last season when needed. He should have been part of our squad. We have both Judge and Marrow, midfielders who, IMO, won't push for a starting place like Jones would. Another trick missed. All managers make mistakes and if people are really honest, this was one of them. He was good for us, but is now doing it for our top of the league rivals.

Oh, and I think he's a bit more than steady. He knows his abilities and plays to them. He also knows what's needed from a midfielder.

No, I didn't mean them Jonny. Too much is made of the "who replaced him" argument. No one replaced him. He is a midfielder who even played on the right wing last season when needed. He should have been part of our squad. We have both Judge and Marrow, midfielders who, IMO, won't push for a starting place like Jones would. Another trick missed. All managers make mistakes and if people are really honest, this was one of them. He was good for us, but is now doing it for our top of the league rivals.

Oh, and I think he's a bit more than steady. He knows his abilities and plays to them. He also knows what's needed from a midfielder.

Ah ok, I don't really understand what you're trying to get at if I'm honest - would he start in front of Evans or Cairney? I guess a lot of people would of put him in place of Lowe, who has been improving this season.

I can't remember Jones playing on the wing. Forgive me if I'm wrong. He was a cut above what we had at the time, a withering Danny Murphy and a willful runner in Lowe.

In my opinion he is a good centre mid for this league, very similar to what we already have in Evans. Jones is, however, older & massively one footed - got dizzy sometimes with his turns to get it onto his favoured foot.

Whether it was to do with Appletons tactics, the less said the better, but Jones isn't a player to be compared to Judge. Early days but Judge is more attacking than Jones so don't think he would play the same position.

It would of been nice to have him here don't get me wrong but I don't think having Jones in the side would've made much of a difference to our results as he wouldn't of unlocked a well drilled Charlton or Huddersfield team.

Interesting that GB said that Etuhu could return to the squad. Hopefully he has something to offer us..

Archived