BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

but they didn't. 

England should play their natural game and win the game by playing positive but smart cricket 

Its not their natural game at all, Root isn't a slogger. Positive cricket is keeping your wicket. and winning

Man for man this Aussie squad is streets ahead of England.

There was never a chance if us winning a test match.

Bazball nearly won the first two but individual errors prevented that.

Anything can and probably will happen tomorrow but it's bazball all the way for this team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Funnily enough Jim in a bizarre way I’m glad we are chasing 250 and not 150

It’s been a low scoring match so far and I don’t see why it should be any different in England’s 2nd innings. The other lot will come out all guns blazing - 2 quick wickets and the target suddenly looks a long way off. Fingers crossed though - there’s nothing better than beating them 

• Like 1

Re Lancs the other night. Livi has been abysmal for Lancs ever since playing in the IPL, to ahem, become a better player. As if anyone believed that. I mean what on earth does he actually do anymore?!?! I see Croft, not captain fantastic, fronted up to the media Friday night. Completely feckless that lad.

Muddled thinking from the club since the start of the season. Anderson available and we sign a medium pace trundler in de grandhomme when needed a strike bowler, yet simultaneously now produce the flattest pitches in the country. When we play away in the championship we do okay, we just don’t have the bowlers to win matches at Old Trafford. Muddled. 

What was the point in Rob Jones playing the T20s. Run a ball at best and doesn’t bowl. Wouldn’t it have made more sense to play Balderson or Lamb?! Muddled. 

Parkinson fiasco. Muddled

• Like 4

If my weather app is to be believed after a dry morning there is a likelihood of rain from 2 pm onwards. Tomorrow after a dry morning a washout from 1 pm or latest 2 pm.

It's going to be an interesting day and if those weather forecasts are at all accurate Bazball it is.

Assuming the rain arrives late today this wil be over by Tea, one way or the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

If my weather app is to be believed after a dry morning there is a likelihood of rain from 2 pm onwards. Tomorrow after a dry morning a washout from 1 pm or latest 2 pm.

It's going to be an interesting day and if those weather forecasts are at all accurate Bazball it is.

Assuming the rain arrives late today this wil be over by Tea, one way or the other.

There’s still another day after that though to be fair, so plenty of time really. If they start bowling the short stuff, leave it alone. Duckett needs to live up to his name this time. 

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, 47er said:

Its not their natural game at all, Root isn't a slogger. Positive cricket is keeping your wicket. and winning

no England top 6 batsman is a slogger but all want to play positive cricket. Root like to scores runs and keep ticking the scoring along. 

• Like 1

I’d love to know what you posters using the term “Bazball” actually think it is.

for me it means getting ahead in every aspect of the game, of being positive in everything you do, of forcing the agenda and results. It doesn’t mean being totally reckless but getting that balance right is critical.

If England go out today and play the old test cricket brand of going at 2 an over and taking no risks, the chances are they won’t get over the line. If they let the Aussies get on top of them, they’ll lose IMO. Keeping the run rate up is Englands best chance. 

Edited by den

I think the weather will probably make Bazball necessary. If say, we hadn't got the runs by the end of the day we'd be sweating on the weather tomorrow.

Its quite likely there will be loss of play today as well.

So, I guess we'll try to make hay while the sun shines  but if we don't exercise more discretion than we have so far then I can't see us getting there. I'm old-fashioned--4 singles an over would make me quite happy!

Ramping the first ball of the day and I'll switch off!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, den said:

I’d love to know what you posters using the term “Bazball” actually think it is.

for me it means getting ahead in every aspect of the game, of being positive in everything you do, of forcing the agenda and results. It doesn’t mean being totally reckless but getting that balance right is critical.

If England go out today and play the old test cricket brand of going at 2 an over and taking no risks, the chances are they won’t get over the line. If they let the Aussies get on top of them, they’ll lose IMO. Keeping the run rate up is Englands best chance. 

The difficulty for England today will be when the Aussies start the short pitched stuff. Unless they attack it will dry the runs up, which could lead to frustration, but it will tire out the bowlers, and  there is more than enough time left in the game to just play normally and punish the bad ball. It’s still a lightning quick outfield so there will be full value for good shots. 

The ‘Bazball’ approach is what has put us in a position to play normally and win the game from here, as it has moved the game along and given us plenty of time. Absolutely no need for any gung ho approach today.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The difficulty for England today will be when the Aussies start the short pitched stuff. Unless they attack it will dry the runs up, which could lead to frustration, but it will tire out the bowlers, and  there is more than enough time left in the game to just play normally and punish the bad ball. It’s still a lightning quick outfield so there will be full value for good shots. 

The ‘Bazball’ approach is what has put us in a position to play normally and win the game from here, as it has moved the game along and given us plenty of time. Absolutely no need for any gung ho approach today.

Run rates were almost even in the first innings.

The low score by the Aussies in their 2nd innings plus our good  start at 5 RPO yesterday evening puts us in a good position. 

We need 224 to win with all our wickets in hand, which is what the Aussies totalled in their 2nd innings.

It's ours to lose.

We will win today , weather permitting or tomorrow, again, weather permitting.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Very sensible! Pity you can't SMS Stokes!

• Like 1

Six sessions over 2 days, even allowing for the weather, England can do this without taking any risks, nurdling the ones and twos. Wouldn’t that be something ….. making the target without hitting a 4?? If I were captain that’s what I’d be telling my batsmen. 

The Bazball mindset has led to defeats in the first 2 Tests. Heads down today for some proper Test cricket and grind out the win

It’s been fine all morning here, the weather tends to pass us and head towards Leeds, so hopefully we are set for uninterrupted play, but it is grey and overcast..

Looking forward to this, I expect England to win at a canter 🤞

7 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Ali coming in at 3 with a test average of about 25. He is the classic not good enough as a batsman not good enough as a bowler but because tries both has over 50 test caps to his name. 

Crawleys test average is 28.

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Duckett’s is nearly 50. He’s certainly good enough.

Give it time. Playing like he does that’ll tumble. The problem with England. 
We have to pick 11 players. Over half the team aren’t good enough to play test cricket yet have to play them.