BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

24 minutes ago, Gav said:

He's probably worried about them being on strike…

But you're right o2g, he needs to pad up, England showing we still can't bat, Baz has plenty of work to do.

Apparently he did drive down. Top stat of the day from TMS - he's the first player to stop at Keele services whilst playing in a test match.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I haven’t watched any of it today. Were we batting with the bat handle again ?

Crawley played very well and I thought he was the pick of the Batsmen from both teams. Root, Bairstow and Stokes played poor shots today. 

It was very enjoying day of Test Cricket and The ball has swing enough all day. 

Anderson, Board and Potts were excellent for us. 

31 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Same old story.... faulty techniques, lack of patience, poor shot selection, some players not having the temperaments for Test cricket. The ability to play a solid, chanceless innings - the sort of innings that Boycott, Barrington, etc  (even Cook, Trott, Strauss in the modern era) used to play - over many hours has now gone to the extent that we do not have a single player who can do it. Even Root is a dasher who hates being tied down. One-day mentality and techniques are destroying Test cricket. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

English batting techniques aren't going to change overnight, but let’s not forget, the best test team in the world NZ suffered today too.

Both Australia and India are formidable test sides, the shorter game hasn’t impacted on them, it’s a lazy argument to blame the white ball and hopefully ‘Baz’ will prove that over the next few years. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Same old story.... faulty techniques, lack of patience, poor shot selection, some players not having the temperaments for Test cricket. The ability to play a solid, chanceless innings - the sort of innings that Boycott, Barrington, etc  (even Cook, Trott, Strauss in the modern era) used to play - over many hours has now gone to the extent that we do not have a single player who can do it. Even Root is a dasher who hates being tied down. One-day mentality and techniques are destroying Test cricket. 

Where’s David Steele when you need him ?

51 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Where’s David Steele when you need him ?

Yes, another one who never gave his wicket away. Do you remember him blocking Lillee and Thomson for hours in the mid-1970s? Didn't score quickly at 2 runs or less an over but that was the point - a Test match is supposed to be a game of patience lasting 5 days, not 4 one-day hit and run innings and the match over within 3 days. The domination of the one-day game and the advent of 20-20 and now the Hundred has produced players in England who are unable to bat for long periods. People who've never played the game don't understand.

• Like 1

Just on the subject of blockers.......

Great quote from Fred Trueman about probably the greatest blocker of them all -:

"If Geoffrey had been half as good as he thought he was, the fans would have been queuing to get in, rather than queuing to get out"

Looking forward to a trip back to Lancashire later today, Cherry Tree CC the venue and an hour or two with Henry Blowfeld, should be a great evening. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

The schedules are insane, even someone as good as Williamson is going to struggle flying in from months of 20/20 and expected to face a high class seam attack on a cloudy day in England with a Duke’s ball. Bairstow hasn’t played a single red ball innings for months and thrown straight in against the world number 1 Test team.

It’s ultimately cheating the fans and the game, and I’m not sure how much longer cricket can keep up with the charade.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gav said:

English batting techniques aren't going to change overnight, but let’s not forget, the best test team in the world NZ suffered today too.

Both Australia and India are formidable test sides, the shorter game hasn’t impacted on them, it’s a lazy argument to blame the white ball and hopefully ‘Baz’ will prove that over the next few years. 

Brendon McCullum isn't going to a technique coach as he has said previously. 

For me, Far too much focus on this perfect technique andThis is no perfect technique. Is Steve Smith or Joe Root or Kane Williamson or Virat Kohli batting techinque? is it eck! Was the England test coach Brendon McCullum's technique perfect? I will name another 2 players who I always like watching and admire were Jacques Kallis and Steve Waugh and neither had the this perfect batting technique but had great cricketing careers 

Crawley batted very well yesterday cos he left well and played good attacking shots to the right balls until he got out. But is the top scorer from both sides. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

The schedules are insane, even someone as good as Williamson is going to struggle flying in from months of 20/20 and expected to face a high class seam attack on a cloudy day in England with a Duke’s ball. Bairstow hasn’t played a single red ball innings for months and thrown straight in against the world number 1 Test team.

It’s ultimately cheating the fans and the game, and I’m not sure how much longer cricket can keep up with the charade.

You know the answer Matty. It will keep going until the fans stop paying.

Cricket, unfortunately has already gone the way of football. Cash is king. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Brendon McCullum isn't going to a technique coach as he has said previously. 

For me, Far too much focus on this perfect technique andThis is no perfect technique. Is Steve Smith or Joe Root or Kane Williamson or Virat Kohli batting techinque? is it eck! Was the England test coach Brendon McCullum's technique perfect? I will name another 2 players who I always like watching and admire were Jacques Kallis and Steve Waugh and neither had the this perfect batting technique but had great cricketing careers 

Crawley batted very well yesterday cos he left well and played good attacking shots to the right balls until he got out. But is the top scorer from both sides. 

Comparing him to JK! 😁
Kallis had an absolute textbook technique as a batsman.

I’m not sure you know what people mean by ‘technique’.

Edited by Mattyblue

Kevin Pietersen just now on Sky Sports is giving his opinion on Crawley and other batsman. He says there is nothing actually wrong with Crawley but its more about mental and picking the right ball or right bowler to attack. 

Kevin Pietersen says he thinks Alex Lees doesn't know where his off stump is. That why he was taking off stump guard

Technique and skill are important … without them you’ll get found out by the best bowlers. Just as important is temperament for Test cricket, which requires patience and application and the ability to concentrate for hours and hours.  Only the best pjayers such as Boycott and Cook etc can do it

16 hours ago, only2garners said:

Apparently he did drive down. Top stat of the day from TMS - he's the first player to stop at Keele services whilst playing in a test match.

Further important information from Parkinson's call up just as he comes out to bat, again from TMS. Apparently he had just fired up his barbecue ready for the Lancashire lads coming round to his place when he got the call.

58 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Technique and skill are important … without them you’ll get found out by the best bowlers. Just as important is temperament for Test cricket, which requires patience and application and the ability to concentrate for hours and hours.  Only the best pjayers such as Boycott and Cook etc can do it

They need to realise that you don’t have to score off every ball, or every over in test cricket. You can fill your boots when you’ve worn the bowlers down.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They need to realise that you don’t have to score off every ball, or every over in test cricket. You can fill your boots when you’ve worn the bowlers down.

Its fair point but you still need to keep the scoreboard ticking over and can't just block after block. 

You have to look to score even off the great bowlers and I look at how we played Shane Warne in the 2005 series. he will take wickets whether you block or looking to score so you got to score when you can but we sensible in defending. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

The pitch has gone very flat now. 

I'm surprised Matt Parkinson hasn't bowled more. 

Stokes's tactic of trying to bounce them out isn't working. Pitch too flat for that. 

I would rather try bowling at the wickets with a 5/4 field and with short extra cover and short mid wicket in place with a slip in place