BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The statistician on TMS said that of batsmen with more than 20 tests, Crawley has a higher % of caught behind square than any other player. 20% of the balls he faces, he either nicks or plays at and misses and from the 29 innings since his 267, he’s been out for single figures in 18 of them.

Unfortunately his main scoring shot is a high risk shot and he’s not very good at it. A big issue for him going forward. If he addresses the shot that mostly gets him out by putting it back in his locker it’ll dry up his runs. 

Edited by matt83

delighted for Ollie Pope to get his first century in England. talent there time to make that into loads of runs. 

Joe Root is just run machine. That's 10 century in last 18 months whilst Kane Williamson, Virat Kohli and Steve Smith have none in the last 18 months. Joe Root is the best batsman in the world. Those stats back that up

• Like 1

On 02/06/2022 at 17:38, jim mk2 said:

Pope - no hope. He and Crawley are so vulnerable outside off stump. No patience whatsoever. One-day players

On 02/06/2022 at 18:36, jim mk2 said:

RIP Test cricket. 

Some superb test match cricket over the past few days, quality batting on both sides, Pope showing the quality he was picked for. Looks like draw unless the runs can come quickly for England right now. 

Always best to keep the powder dry I'd say.

Come on England. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Stupid from stokes. It’s not t20. Long tail and he’s just given his wicket away slogging. Got with 2 including one a couple of balls earlier. 

I heard Nassar speaking when McCullum was appointed and he said we'd not be playing from draws, we're playing to win. I guess Stokes was staying true to that philosophy, we needed quick runs to win this game, hopefully we'll get enough to draw it now.

31 minutes ago, Gav said:

I heard Nassar speaking when McCullum was appointed and he said we'd not be playing from draws, we're playing to win. I guess Stokes was staying true to that philosophy, we needed quick runs to win this game, hopefully we'll get enough to draw it now.

Worrying philosophy. Play the game and situation that’s in front of you. This England side will lose far more trying to recklessly chase wins. Phrases like “play more shots” and “positive cricket” fill me with dread. Exact opposite of what Crawley needs to do. And Bairstow. And Stokes. How about phrases like play the situation, occupy the crease, bat time are what I’d like to hear in test cricket. There’s 2 other formats for the other stuff.

By and large done well this innings but had so many let offs slogging. About 5 top edges either been dropped or fallen kindly. 

• Like 4

Playing positive cricket is absolutely the way to go. Being positive from the start of a game to the end is the approach of winners in any sport.

It has to be controlled though. It hasn’t to be reckless. Stokes probably strayed into the reckless catageory today.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, matt83 said:

Stupid from stokes. It’s not t20. Long tail and he’s just given his wicket away slogging. Got with 2 including one a couple of balls earlier. 

Stokes was trying to get quick runs and put England into where we might only have to bat once. Stokes as Captain is right man to do this. Root is scoring quickly. If we bat all tomorrow we will probably be 200 runs ahead and leaving New Zealand to survive on the last day. Pitch is now spinning and I wonder if New Zealand will regret not playing their front line spinner now?

2 hours ago, Gav said:

They been discussing it during the test matches and before each day of play. They want to play positive cricket but not all out attack

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Worrying philosophy. Play the game and situation that’s in front of you. This England side will lose far more trying to recklessly chase wins. Phrases like “play more shots” and “positive cricket” fill me with dread. Exact opposite of what Crawley needs to do. And Bairstow. And Stokes. How about phrases like play the situation, occupy the crease, bat time are what I’d like to hear in test cricket. There’s 2 other formats for the other stuff.

By and large done well this innings but had so many let offs slogging. About 5 top edges either been dropped or fallen kindly. 

how many catches did England drop? 

Both teams have dropped catches. Sky Commentary team have explained why this might be the case

Edited by chaddyrovers

Good innings by Root and Pope but Pope still has it all to prove. Today was just  his 2nd century in 24 Tests, on a flat track on which more than 1,000 runs have been scored in two innings, and he averages around only 30 in Test cricket. The best players are in the 40s. A nice player to watch when he's in full flow and conditions are easy but he needs to make runs on a difficult track against top class bowling to become a fully fledged Test player 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, den said:

Playing positive cricket is absolutely the way to go. Being positive from the start of a game to the end is the approach of winners in any sport.

It has to be controlled though. It hasn’t to be reckless. Stokes probably strayed into the reckless catageory today.

Probably?

He mistimed a slog that luckily fell between fielders. Then he slogged one into the stands for 6. Then he mistimed another slog, this time to a fielder.

All in the same over. Calm bloody down - we were 150+ behind at that point. 

• Like 2

Well they're all out in the first hour more or less, leaving us 299 to win, they got away from us sadly.

We are about to see if Brendon McCullums "win and not draw" philosophy comes into play.