BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Great result. There was a time not long ago that we wouldn’t have chased down that score.

new captain and coach with positive mind set and want to entertain their fans. 

I don't know if you watch Brendan McCullum's post match interview but was impressed by comments and just think what a breath of fresh air he has been since being appointed. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Another good win for England and an excellent start for McCallum. NZ clearly off the boil and not the team they were though and it's best to reserve judgment as the team still has many weaknesses, not least Crawley who I'd want and expect to be replaced for the next series.

Crawley just isn't a test match opening batsman. For all the attacking intent of the new coach and captain, the openers' job is still to protect their wicket and see off the first new ball. Crawley is poor at both of these roles.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Crawley just isn't a test match opening batsman. For all the attacking intent of the new coach and captain, the openers' job is still to protect their wicket and see off the first new ball. Crawley is poor at both of these roles.

Steve James wrote a good piece in the Times yesterday on why Crawley is batting like a player who knows his time is up. He will probably confound his critics by making a big score soon but he needs to be dropped for his and Englands sake. The jury is out on Lees too

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think that role of the opener is changing now and McCullum/Stokes want them to attack. They want to entertain the fans.

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Steve James wrote a good piece in the Times yesterday on why Crawley is batting like a player who knows his time is up. He will probably confound his critics by making a big score soon but he needs to be dropped for his and Englands sake. The jury is out on Lees too

Oh yes Steve James would you what it takes to become a test match opener since he never made it as test opener. 

You said yesterday that he expect England would drop Zak Crawley for the next test but that hasn't happen has it instead England captain Ben Stokes, Head Coach Brendan McCullum and MD/head of selector Rob Key have all backed him again. You only have to listen to Brendan McCullum interview yesterday where he suggested Loyalty is one of the biggest thing to him in life including coaching. I think Zak Crawley will play all summer for England 

23 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I

23 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Oh yes Steve James would you what it takes to become a test match opener since he never made it as test opener. 

So what? Neither did Rob Key. Mourinho was never a pro player. Neither were any of the pundits on this message board including yourself who pass judgment on managers and players. That doesn’t mean they’re not entitled to opinions

As it happens Steve James was a top class player who had a long career in the game. He knows how to bat and he knows the psychology behind batting. He writes well and is interesting to read and just because he (and others) criticise your failing poster boy doesn’t mean he should be dismissed

Edited by jim mk2

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

So what? Neither did Rob Key. Mourinho was never a pro player. Neither were any of the pundits on this message board including yourself who pass judgment on managers and players. That doesn’t mean they’re not entitled to opinions

As it happens Steve James was a top class player who had a long career in the game. He knows how to bat and he knows the psychology behind batting. He writes well and is interesting to read and just because he (and others) criticise your failing poster boy doesn’t mean he should be dismissed

Roy Key has a great cricketing mind and so far his 3 appointments have been right. You didn't want Stokes as Captain as I did. What breath of fresh air he has been so far. Great appointment. Brendan McCullum as head coach has keep things very simple and focus more on the mindset then technique. 

Still want Crawley to be drop do you?

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Roy Key has a great cricketing mind and so far his 3 appointments have been right. You didn't want Stokes as Captain as I did. What breath of fresh air he has been so far. Great appointment. Brendan McCullum as head coach has keep things very simple and focus more on the mindset then technique. 

Of course he does, as do I. The lad very clearly isn't good enough to open the batting in test match cricket. Why would you not want to pick your strongest player in each position? What does Rob Key say about Crawley?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Stokes has started well.... the test will come when it's not going well and he still has to perform with bat and ball. It's alot for one man and it hasn't worked in the past

As I have kept saying, England cricket needed an outsider/foreign coach to shake it up and McCullum has started well, let's see how it goes. It's easy at home on flat batting tracks with batters who love throwing the bat at ball one-day style. 

I hope Crawley comes good in the next Test, I really do, but at the moment he should be dropped, for his own sake.

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Of course he does, as do I. The lad very clearly isn't good enough to open the batting in test match cricket. Why would you not want to pick your strongest player in each position? What does Rob Key say about Crawley?

I think Crawley is the right opener for us and our strongest player for that. 

No idea what Rob Key has he hasn't made any public statement on him which is the right way to do. More important Test Captain Ben Stokes and Test head coach Brendan McCullum are backing him to succeed. Here is a link to his comments Brendon McCullum On Zak Crawley: 'When He Has His Day, He's Going To Win Matches' (wisden.com)

43 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Stokes has started well.... the test will come when it's not going well and he still has to perform with bat and ball. It's alot for one man and it hasn't worked in the past

always thinking negative and looking for problems that might not happen. same old thinking 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Crawley is the right opener for us and our strongest player for that. 

No idea what Rob Key has he hasn't made any public statement on him which is the right way to do. More important Test Captain Ben Stokes and Test head coach Brendan McCullum are backing him to succeed. Here is a link to his comments Brendon McCullum On Zak Crawley: 'When He Has His Day, He's Going To Win Matches' (wisden.com)

always thinking negative and looking for problems that might not happen. same old thinking 

If Crawley is our strongest opener I shudder to think what the rest of them must be like. What has he actually done in all the tests he has played (apart from one massive score that would appear to be the outlier amongst a litany of failures)?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

If Crawley is our strongest opener I shudder to think what the rest of them must be like. What has he actually done in all the tests he has played (apart from one massive score that would appear to be the outlier amongst a litany of failures)?

I think Brendon McCullum's comments have put it better than I come. 

I like his attacking shots and the way he drives it good to watch. Just a slight technique problem but nothing he can't adapt it

I think Tom Haines from Sussex would be the one to replace him if he needs replacing

6 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Technically flawed and mentally weak. Hopefully he'll come good but he doesn't look anything like a Test opener at present

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Brendon McCullum's comments have put it better than I come. 

I like his attacking shots and the way he drives it good to watch. Just a slight technique problem but nothing he can't adapt it

I think Tom Haines from Sussex would be the one to replace him if he needs replacing

You kept saying everybody was wrong the other week when we said he didn’t have the technique to open the batting.

Of course he isn’t a Test opener, and I actually feel for him, looked at all at sea at Headingley.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

You kept saying everybody was wrong the other week when we said he didn’t have the technique to open the batting.

Of course he isn’t a Test opener, and I actually feel for him, looked at all at sea at Headingley.

All I will say is look at Brendon McCullum's comments and Ben Stokes's comments on Zak Crawley and his future in the team

I don't think I've seen an opener edge the ball as much as Crawley. Not up for it I'm afraid

Lucky enough to be gifted tickets for the opening day tomorrow, sitting in the Eric Hollies stand. Last time I saw England v India we tore em apart and bowled them for less than 100 at Headingley. Hoping to see us bat this time so I'll let you all know just how bad Crawley is in person 😄

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I don't think I've seen an opener edge the ball as much as Crawley. Not up for it I'm afraid

Lucky enough to be gifted tickets for the opening day tomorrow, sitting in the Eric Hollies stand. Last time I saw England v India we tore em apart and bowled them for less than 100 at Headingley. Hoping to see us bat this time so I'll let you all know just how bad Crawley is in person 😄

He'll probably get another double century then Dreams 😉

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He'll probably get another double century then Dreams 😉

Should that happen the pimms will be flowing

More than likely out for less than 10, but at least I've got Pope and Root to look forward to

Here's to hoping I get to watch Bairstow smash it about at home on Saturday and don't see him Friday...you never know with this lot though

• Like 1

Re Crawley I think this is an interesting read:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/jun/26/zak-crawley-should-be-a-perfect-fit-for-this-england-but-offers-only-high-farce

Good start for England good to see jimmy with 3 wickets.

Also I believe Buttler has decided to grace Lancs with his presence. No idea why livi isn’t in the squad though. It’s all pointless anyway. Buttler, livi, parkinson, salt and gleeson all selected for England against India. So will miss all of the quarters and not that will qualify for finals day with the reserves but will miss that as well. Daft having such domestic clashes with international calendar. I bet their 16.4 overs baby won’t clash with anything.

• Like 2

I was watching Sky in the lunch break and Jos said how he’d just moved house down the road from Morgan. I’m presuming long time Middlesex and T20 gun for hire Eoin wasn’t living in Cheshire!

Just reinforces what we already knew really that Buttler is a Lanky player in name only.