BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Not really. He's been in one-day mode in the past few weeks. Bazball and run chases clearly suit him. He's only got one way of playing - which is to attack. I'd like to see him get his head down and grind out a century in difficult conditions to show he's a true Test match player. He's proved nothing to me. Cricket not your strong point. 

Test match cricket has moved on Jim, the likes of Boycott blocking for 4 days for a draw in 1975 don't fit with the modern game.

He's also ground out plenty of scores in the last 2 series, haven't you been watching?

Bairstow game is mainly attack, he has the technique and temperament to attack the 2 best test teams in the world in NZ and India and has been phenomenal and long may it continue. 

• Like 1

I'm used to the England batting collapsing in embarrassing circumstances, looking utterly feeble and stupid [it's happening somewhere else this week, but that's for another thread]. If this all out attack works for the current players, then keep doing it, and hopefully we can find someone to stick around for long periods in an innings.

38 minutes ago, Gav said:

Test match cricket has moved on Jim, the likes of Boycott blocking for 4 days for a draw in 1975 don't fit with the modern game.

He's also ground out plenty of scores in the last 2 series, haven't you been watching?

Bairstow game is mainly attack, he has the technique and temperament to attack the 2 best test teams in the world in NZ and India and has been phenomenal and long may it continue. 

Happy to eat some of my words about Bairstow, his form since the ashes has been astounding. 

That said, we shouldn't let recency bias let us forget what the rest of his test career has been like. Forever giving his wicket away until he needed the occasional big innings to stay in the side. Being positive is fine and you expect a few soft dismissals as a result, but he simply hasn't delivered often enough for a player of his talent. 

Almost the first name on the team sheet now though. Long may his new found consistency continue!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Bairstow's form has been incredible but the situation has suited him perfectly----chasing runs on the last day on an English pitch. Played like its a 20-20.

Do you really think he could lead England to make nearly 400 in the 4th innings at The Adelaide Oval. Or the Gabba?

That's the bar which England has to strive for.

This summer has been hugely enjoyable but out bowlers don't travel and our top order are woeful.

Encouraging start but a long, long way to go.

Bairstow has had a couple of hard fought hundreds away from home as well 47er

Particular stand out being the stand he made in the 1st innings at the Waca back in 2017 which was an incredible knock. We got hammered though

Think he got 100 in Australia around Christmas time too

But he has spent his career giving his wicket away too easily for my liking. One of the best white ball cricketers out there though. He's got a long way to go but he's in such a flow I wouldn't bet against him scoring 100 anywhere right now

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Particular stand out being the stand he made in the 1st innings at the Waca back in 2017 which was an incredible knock. We got hammered though

But he has spent his career giving his wicket away too easily for my liking. One of the best white ball cricketers out there though. He's got a long way to go but he's in such a flow I wouldn't bet against him scoring 100 anywhere right now

Yeah, that sums up exactly my thoughts to be honest.

I hope that a combination of his age, alongside our new approach means that he can find more consistency for the next five years or so. Obviously it's unrealistic for him to sustain this ridiculous purple patch, but he's so destructive that he could easily be the player that we all hoped Buttler might've been in red ball cricket.

There could be a sense of making up for lost time too.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

I've been watching Bairstow for many years; have you? To me, he's a flat track bully; give him a docile pitch, a soft ball and a run chase, and he'll score runs, another Graeme Hick. Boycott was the Test match player par excellence; most modern players can't play that way because they don't have the patience or the ability to defend. Cook, Trott, Strauss and Bell could do it too, but we don't have many like them now 

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pitch weren't unplayable or spinning loads or low bounce. 

Plus the way we playing under this new captain Ben Stokes and test coach Brendan McCullum shows anything is possible under these

I bet you thought it was going to be easy?

23 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I've been watching Bairstow for many years; have you? To me, he's a flat track bully; give him a docile pitch, a soft ball and a run chase, and he'll score runs, another Graeme Hick. Boycott was the Test match player par excellence; most modern players can't play that way because they don't have the patience or the ability to defend. Cook, Trott, Strauss and Bell could do it too, but we don't have many like them now 

Would you concede he does belong at test match level? 

I take your point about Boycott, an England great no doubt about it, but he was often criticised for playing for the draw rather than trying to win matches, was that your take on him?

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Not really. He's been in one-day mode in the past few weeks. Bazball and run chases clearly suit him. He's only got one way of playing - which is to attack. I'd like to see him get his head down and grind out a century in difficult conditions to show he's a true Test match player. He's proved nothing to me. Cricket not your strong point. 

Ben Stokes and Brendon McCullum want Jonny Bairstow to play this way and I would say he has played positive but not reckless. 

Cricket is moving on from the Boycott days now

4 hours ago, Gav said:

Jim, is still in past and expect people want to watch boring old days where you are happy to score 200 runs in 90 overs for a couple of wickets down. 

Sadly Cricket has move on now, Ben Stokes and Brendon McCullum want to play attacking cricket and take it to the opposition

45 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I bet you thought it was going to be easy?

Have I said it would be easy? no DeeCee but I thought we stand a good chance of winning given the form and confidence we seem to have 

Test cricket has only ‘moved on’ in the last month. 

Despite nearly twenty years of Twenty20 cricket, it hadn’t impacted scoring rates that much in Test cricket. Look at Test scorecards from the past few years, 200/250 runs in 90 overs had still been standard fayre until BazBall.

Stokes/McCullum are doing something revolutionary here, other sides will have to adapt to it quickly, though it will be interesting to see how it stands up to being tested on a spinning deck in India or down under.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Great TV.

Apart from some lusty blows it was bloody awful cricket.

But its made for TV and I suppose if you're not a follower of county or test then brilliant when knowing little is a good thing.

Baseball with pads on.

Don't get me wrong, for what it is I like it.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

9 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yes,can't disagree with any of his, the point I was trying to make is that are too dependent on too few players of which Bairstow is pivotal and that we won't get this particular set of circumstances every game.

Sometimes a Test side has to dig in and play a long game. Can we?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Yes,can't disagree with any of his, the point I was trying to make is that are too dependent on too few players of which Bairstow is pivotal and that we won't get this particular set of circumstances every game.

Sometimes a Test side has to dig in and play a long game. Can we?

I think we can 

I personally think Crawley needs replacing. A decent enough knock in the final innings but has shown time and time again he will give his wicket away. Lees on the other hand can play. He’s had a tough start but two 50s in 5 games is ok. 
Pope at three looking good. Root is the best player in the world. Stokes and Bairstow are the counter, and the perfect recipe at the middle order. 
We know Stokes can dig in if he needs to. Personally I don’t want him to that often. Playing to your strengths is as true in cricket as it is football. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think we can 

I personally think Crawley needs replacing. A decent enough knock in the final innings but has shown time and time again he will give his wicket away. Lees on the other hand can play. He’s had a tough start but two 50s in 5 games is ok. 
Pope at three looking good. Root is the best player in the world. Stokes and Bairstow are the counter, and the perfect recipe at the middle order. 
We know Stokes can dig in if he needs to. Personally I don’t want him to that often. Playing to your strengths is as true in cricket as it is football. 

Ok, I don't disagree with any of that either! But--- Crawley needs replacing but by who? How often lately have we been 80 odd for 5 or 6 and had to be saved by the power order?

And what about our pop-gun attack? English pitches are made for Anderson and Broad but what happens abroad?

We have no world class spinner either.

None of this detracts from the great summer we've enjoyed but if we are going to be the power in world cricket we should be there is a lot to do. Its not just a matter of finding the right players, they don't exist. The gene-pool has got too small. Whole generations have been lost to cricket-- ordinary kids don't play it or follow it as they once did---except for lads from India and Pakistan who play in the street but rarely get much further.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Jimmy is just a phenomenon, about to turn 40 and he is still top class. Looks in superb physical condition too.

Broad, however, looks on his last legs to me…

51 wickets away from matching Shane Warne's total, which seems completely achievable the shape that he's in. Ridiculous record for a pace bower. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Great TV.

Apart from some lusty blows it was bloody awful cricket.

But its made for TV and I suppose if you're not a follower of county or test then brilliant when knowing little is a good thing.

Baseball with pads on.

Don't get me wrong, for what it is I like it.

Unfortunately the white balls do nothing - the fielding team actively tries to scuff it up and soften it to make it harder to slog.

Compare that to the red ball, which they treat like it's a precious commodity.

On 03/07/2022 at 20:08, Exiled_Rover said:

Buttler and Livingstone couldn't be arsed tonight - Buttler having played his mandated 1 game a season for Lancashire on Friday. 

We'll be missing Gleeson, Salt and Parkinson on Thursday in the QF too.

The ECB have made a farce of this competition.

They're not even playing Gleeson and Salt - I hope they're released to play tomorrow.

I also notice that Livingstone got over his personal problems just in time to play for England. Funny that. 

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Unfortunately the white balls do nothing.

Bumaneshwar Khumar is swinging the white ball around corners right now and has just cleaned up Butler for 0.