BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

This is a genuine question and in no way means to cause offence or sound ill mannered, but I would love to know what it is that people love so much about cricket? What makes it so good? I mean to passers by like me, it seems long, drawn out, boring, but which can change very quickly into something exciting. Maybe thats it and I have answered my own question? I don't mind one day cricket, its far more managable for the someone like myself who loves all sport, but just can't get into the test matches.

Also, could someone tell me why people up north are such manic cricket fans? Again, without wanting to be rude or cause offence, I'd have thought that people up north who love their football and their rugby league, would find cricket to be for those soft southern fairies!

I'm genuinely interested in the love and passion that people have for cricket.

Cricket is one of those games that's better to play than to watch. Before I got too old I played club cricket for more than 35 years and loved every minute of it. There's nothing better than playing cricket on a warm summer's day. I go occasionally to Test matches but I'm not a great watcher - I'd rather be out there competing. The one-day game holds no real interest to me - there's far too much of it. I don't like the gamesmanship and sometimes downright cheating at the top level though - before I stopped playing the top end of the club game was going the same way too.

Cricket's an all-consuming sport if you are a player, very technical, much of it psychological and full of ups and downs, particularly for batsmen. When you are playing well and in good form there is no better feeling but form can disappear quickly and leave you worried and wondering where the next run is coming from.

There's a great cricket tradition in the north and alot of England best players come from up here. Lancashire has a fine tradition of producing good fast bowlers - Anderson is the latest in a long line. To sum up, if I had my time over again I wouldn't play football and would devote all my sporting passion to cricket. It's a great game.

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

About the only time I will ever agree with Jim, it is a fantastic sport......

70% of our press is owned by Murdoch and we all know what his rags are like. Strange the Guardian felt the need to regurgitate the rubbish, I suppose it was news worthy on some level.....

I guess all all the comments in this thread are purely in retaliation and classed as self defence, "Without style we'd just be err, Australians !"...well done, before taking the high road though, may I suggest prior that you display some of that class and dignity that you so richly believe you have.

Cricket is one of those games that's better to play than to watch.

I totally agree with that. I played a little bit in school and used to love it. I have the same feelings about baseball, which doesn absolutely nothing for me as a spectator sport. But I enjoy watching highlights on Sports Center and I keep an eye out for the San Francisco Giants results, for the simple reason that I went to their stadium one time.

I find it very disappointing that an ex St Mary's College boy can be so anti English. Do your roots mean so little to you Dave? You seem to be such a decent type otherwise.

This statement is so far from the truth, it hardly bears commenting on.

Al, get to know me before you make such outlandish comments.

This statement is so far from the truth, it hardly bears commenting on.

Al, get to know me before you make such outlandish comments.

I felt I knew you at one time but your comments in this thread really disappoint me. You support Australia strongly against the country of your birth and upbringing. I could never do that.

• Backroom

I felt I knew you at one time but your comments in this thread really disappoint me. You support Australia strongly against the country of your birth and upbringing. I could never do that.

Depends which country brings you more happiness. Would you be upset if Mo Farah supported Britain vs Somalia?

Quite right. Disloyalty. I hate it. Might as well support Burnley too.

What is your view on people who are in the England squad this series like Pietersen, Trott, Prior, Ballance and Stokes. Do you find it difficult to support them when they are playing for England ?

Quite right. Disloyalty. I hate it. Might as well support Burnley too.

Are the players that I have mentioned above disloyal as well ?

They play for the team they are qualified for and I do not hear them slagging South Africa off. I would prefer all the players who play for England to be British but I do not make the rules. Let's be honest this team represents Britain and calling it England is really a misnomer. I have no difficulty seeing foreign players following their profession by playing for Rovers so why should cricket be any different? See also German football team.

However I do have a problem with a Blackburn born person supporting Manchester United. Who you support is a question of birthright in my opinion. Following your profession is entirely another.

Just my opinion but not all of the Australian team were born there either.

Sorry but my quote function is not working. In reply to Somerset Rover in spite of the fact that he is a WUM troll.

Edited by Al

Depends where they live and how young they were when they moved there.

Are you going to phrase this in yet another way to try to catch me out with words? You know damned well what my views are on this subject by now.

• Backroom

Depends where they live and how young they were when they moved there.

Are you going to phrase this in yet another way to try to catch me out with words? You know damned well what my views are on this subject by now.

I'm just trying to understand why you hate the idea of supporting another country. As if it would even matter.

And I'm not trying to catch you out, I'm just offering the same scenario with different clubs.

The Manc in my scenario lived in Manchester all his life with ManUtd supporting parents, who took him to Utd games til he was about 10, but he then said 'nah I like blackburn' in 2004. I would find it odd if you were to call him a traitor for that.

Similarly I don't support England in football while there are still deplorable people in it's 1st team. Instead I currently support any underdog (including vs England).

They play for the team they are qualified for and I do not hear them slagging South Africa off. I would prefer all the players who play for England to be British but I do not make the rules. Let's be honest this team represents Britain and calling it England is really a misnomer. I have no difficulty seeing foreign players following their profession by playing for Rovers so why should cricket be any different? See also German football team.

However I do have a problem with a Blackburn born person supporting Manchester United. Who you support is a question of birthright in my opinion. Following your profession is entirely another.

Just my opinion but not all of the Australian team were born there either.

Sorry but my quote function is not working. In reply to Somerset Rover in spite of the fact that he is a WUM troll.

Why am I 'a WUM troll' is it not valid point I raise about people born in another country playing for England when you are criticising someone else for supporting Australia despite being born in England, tell me what's the difference?

You talk about people following their profession well Trott and Pietersen could have easily made a career out of playing state and international cricket in South Africa and being overseas players in other countries. You also ask why is a foreign born person playing for Rovers any different to cricket, well it isn't if its at county level and they are playing as a kolpak or an overseas. But when it get's to international level and your are playing as England then that is different.

Finally the team does not represents Britain it represents England and Wales. The clue is in the name The England and Wales Cricket Board.