BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby County vs Blackburn Rovers Sunday 04/08 4pm kick off (Live on Sky)

Not a lot to add to what has been said.

Best was shocking when he came on but in the last 15 minutes started getting flick ons, getting involved and subsequently scored with a delightful finish that he made look far easier than it was.

It was pleasing in the first 20 minutes to see how we seemed to attack as a unit with players getting in and around Rhodes to support him. This was seen very rarely away from home last season.

Rochina's 20 minute cameo summer up his career. Flashes of brilliance and looked the most talented player in the squad. However, apart from once, his inability to pick the right pass let him down. It was noticable how we deteriorated initially after he had gone off.

Not mentioned too much but that was a great save from Kean. At first I thought it was straight at him but the replays showed it was more than your standard stop. Not sure if Robbo's bulk would have got to that.

As for Jason Lowe, the lad tries and good luck to him but if people are saying that was him playing well than he has a serious problem at this level. If this kid starts more than half of the games in this league then, and I really hope I'm wrong, I can't see us getting near promotion. I'll cut Marrow some slack as that's the first time I've seen him but he was as bad even without taking the mental breakdown of the penalty into account.

Not wishing to end on a negative, credit to Spurr who looked a very decent signing at left back.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Predicted 1-1 and will certainly settle for that away from home first game of the season. Very important for a number of reasons we did not lose as we try and build some momemtum this year. Pleasing to see us looking fit, hungry and committed and was impressed with how we kept believing and going until the end. We certainly deserved something from the game.
I wanted a clean sheet and bar the stupidity from Marrow we may have achieved one. Overall we looked pretty good defensively, sound, composed, organised and structered. Derby looked bang average to me however, created little and rarely threatened, so defensively it was a little hard to evaluate and there will certainly be much harder tests to come.

Nice also to see the way the players celebrated the equalising goal and although very early days it appears there is a good spirit already amongst the group. I hoped that would be the case.
Laughing at all the Lowe bashing taking place already. Is he the new Keith Andrews? MGP? Windy Miller? Jason Wilcox? Mark Atkins? Jason Roberts? Jimmy Quinn?....ie the sole reason for any bad result whatever the circumstances?
Watched the game twice and although Lowe gave the ball away a few times unnecesarily, he covered a lot of ground, restricted space for the opposition, broke up play, tracked back well, got forward to the edge of the oppositions box and also looked to be positive. One shot drifted wide first half when others may have been better placed, but a nice touch past the defender and a solid shot the keeper took low down 2nd half showed he was confident in his ability to try and make something happen. Believe it or not, other players in the team also gave the ball away unneccessarily at times as well, but selective viewing prevents some things being noticed.
Marrow (1st game for the team) and Best (goalscorer) seem to also have attracted some stick. Not unreasonable for Marrow to need some time to settle and the penalty aside I thought he did ok, without sparkling or overly influencing the game. Judge him after 15 games, not 15 minutes. Best suffered a very bad injury recently and it will take time for his confidence to return, both in his touch and with his general bodily movement. Very pleased he got the goal as it will help him and us going forward as we desperately need players to take the scoring weight off the largely inneffective Rhodes.
All in all a good performance and point with the Rochina injury the biggest negative.

• Backroom

lowe seemed to have a very poor game, was caught on the ball to easily, fell over at the slightest touch (which with that ref he wasnt going to get anything and rarely did), and his own passing was very poor giving the ball away far to cheaply. He unlike king realised he was having a shocker and at least when he did loose it, he battled hard to try and get it back or make amends, so at least a better attitude than king.

It was great to see Lowe showing that kind of spirit. I was watching game with a neutral, and I have to admit I did mouth off when Lowe lost the ball in the centre circle yet again mid way through 2nd half, and was cursing him.

But my friend was saying - "But look at him, he has chased that man right back to the penalty box and won possession back, I wish my players would do that. "

We all moaned this time last season watching DM do exactly the same thing (lose the ball in the centre circle), because he would just give up and stand there and watch the counter-attack put pressure on our defence.

Countless fans screaming at him for being a lazy git. "I wish he would put some effing effort in." Now, we have a player in midfield doing that and everyone hates him. Makes no sense to me.

It was great to see Lowe showing that kind of spirit. I was watching game with a neutral, and I have to admit I did mouth off when Lowe lost the ball in the centre circle yet again mid way through 2nd half, and was cursing him.

But my friend was saying - "But look at him, he has chased that man right back to the penalty box and won possession back, I wish my players would do that. "

We all moaned this time last season watching DM do exactly the same thing (lose the ball in the centre circle), because he would just give up and stand there and watch the counter-attack put pressure on our defence.

Countless fans screaming at him for being a lazy git. "I wish he would put some effing effort in." Now, we have a player in midfield doing that and everyone hates him. Makes no sense to me.

I don't hate him. I'd never scream and him, boo him or abuse him.

I just think that his position is the area that is the weak link and could be easily improved. I thought that all last season and, despite numerous incomings, it is still my number 1 priority.

If we want someone to run back and catch people for 90 minutes we might as well buy Mo Farah.

It only takes a few idiots to get on Lowe's back at Ewood, then a few more will join in etc etc. Before you know it the numpties will be booing his every touch, or cheering when he gets subbed. These idiots sicken me, thew same idiots who did it to Andrews. Players like Andrews & Lowe might not be everyone's cup of tea but THEY DON'T PICK THEMSELVES!!!! If they are on the pitch then it's because the manager has picked them. Booing them is utterly pointless, especially when they display the passion and work ethic of Lowe. He might not be a world-beater, but not many are in the Championship. Or the Prem for that matter. He's not a gifted passer of the ball, he is there to protect the back four. Judging by how comfortable the back four sounded yesterday, away at a team with an excellent home record last season, Lowe must have done a good job.

I don't hate him. I'd never scream and him, boo him or abuse him.

I just think that his position is the area that is the weak link and could be easily improved. I thought that all last season and, despite numerous incomings, it is still my number 1 priority.

If we want someone to run back and catch people for 90 minutes we might as well buy Mo Farah.

A lot of Lowe's work is done off the ball.

I don't think many people realise this.

Lowe must have done a good job.

Certainly not my thoughts mid game tbh, but as i said, he knew he was having a mare, but still worked his socks off and fought to get it back when he did loose it, but didn't fall into the "good job" category at all..

His own reaction to the goal shows he knew he wasnt doing great, was a big relief to him when we scored (as it was for us all)

Certainly not my thoughts mid game tbh, but as i said, he knew he was having a mare, but still worked his socks off and fought to get it back when he did loose it, but didn't fall into the "good job" category at all..

His own reaction to the goal shows he knew he wasnt doing great, was a big relief to him when we scored (as it was for us all)

He wasn't having a mare. He made some poor passes, he lost control, he gave the ball away, but so did everyone else on the pitch. If his and Marrow's job was defined by management as to protect the back four, then recognising we did not concede from open play and Derby had few chances, they must have done some things right.

The problem was highlighted earlier in the thread. Either Hanley, Dann or Lowe became our free man with the ball 2nd half and none are equipped for that role. Lumping it forward (Dann) & (Hanley) up to Best was their preferred option, whilst Lowe for the most tried to play to feet, but with limited success.

The defence of Lowe is now becoming as hysterical as the criricism of him imo. It seems fairly clear cut to me, he'll run all day and fill a spot on the pitch, but as someone else said if you simply want an athlete in there you could play Mo Farrar. As a squad player he provides excellent cover at full back /midfield. For a team with genuine promotion/play off aspirations he's not good enough to be a regular starter imo.

As for the crowd getting on his back, I don't honestly believe they do this as the vast majority can tell the difference between someone who is grafting their socks off but hasn't any technical ability and someone who is merely going through the motions.

The problem was highlighted earlier in the thread. Either Hanley, Dann or Lowe became our free man with the ball 2nd half and none are equipped for that role. Lumping it forward (Dann) & (Hanley) up to Best was their preferred option, whilst Lowe for the most tried to play to feet, but with limited success.

Yes, because neither Marrow nor Lowe are capable of distributing the ball effectively themselves.

• Backroom

The defence of Lowe is now becoming as hysterical as the criricism of him imo. It seems fairly clear cut to me, he'll run all day and fill a spot on the pitch, but as someone else said if you simply want an athlete in there you could play Mo Farrar.

So the defence of Lowe is getting hysterical, but to start comparing him to an olympic long distance runner is what? Reasonable? Sensible? Level-headed?

It's not just about running about, which I think is the point you are trying to make, it's about doing something whilst you are running about. And Jason Lowe definately does that in defence IMO. In terms of attack I can't really argue with any points people make, as he is woeful when it comes to that. But I don't agree with the way people knock him for defence.

It's regularly stated on this board that he doesn't get his foot in, can barely make a tackle etc. Firstly, I don't agree with that, but more importantly, IMO it isn't all about making tackles in modern football. It's about nullifying attacks and danger. That may be sherpherding a player down the wings to stop them getting a shot off, it might mean showing them onto their weaker foot, it might just mean being in a position to mark a man to prevent a defence splitting pass. And I see JL doing all theses things. It isn't just about flying in for crunching tackles like the old days.

In fact, I don't want my DM going in for crunchers very often, particularly in the 1st half when they may end up on a yellow and be walking a tightrope for the next 60 mins or so. I think some people are stuck in the past. The jobs of players on the pitch is very different to what it was even 5 years ago. For example, if Robbie savage was still playing today I think he would really struggle, or would definately have to adapt his style to survive, otherwise he would be a total liability on the pitch. And I think he has admitted as much himself on the radio before.

Jason Lowe has many deficiencies in his footballing ability, but it seems to me that people are letting these blind them to the fact that he also has numerous attributes and qualities that are very useful to our team. And I can only see this trend getting worse with every misplaced pass. Which will be sad to see.

Ruben Rochina Naixes ‏@rubenrochina23 31s

to all people is wasking, i will have an operation on wednesday and i will be out between 3 or 4 months! thanks for your support...

Damn it

That's terrible news, for the player primarily and also for us.

Could be our season down the swannee right there unless the new signings can adapt accordingly.

• Backroom

Could be our season down the swannee right there unless the new signings can adapt accordingly.

Nonsense. If our entire season's success revolved solely around Rochina than we were already bolloxed before he got injured.

now who's being hysterical? it's a blow but i'm sure if we sign a left winger then Judge can play there. We may even get someone in on loan to play in the hole. Maybe Cairney could do it. Don't forget, we've got the new Stevie G in the ressies.

So the defence of Lowe is getting hysterical, but to start comparing him to an olympic long distance runner is what? Reasonable? Sensible? Level-headed?

It's not just about running about, which I think is the point you are trying to make, it's about doing something whilst you are running about. And Jason Lowe definately does that in defence IMO. In terms of attack I can't really argue with any points people make, as he is woeful when it comes to that. But I don't agree with the way people knock him for defence.

It's regularly stated on this board that he doesn't get his foot in, can barely make a tackle etc. Firstly, I don't agree with that, but more importantly, IMO it isn't all about making tackles in modern football. It's about nullifying attacks and danger. That may be sherpherding a player down the wings to stop them getting a shot off, it might mean showing them onto their weaker foot, it might just mean being in a position to mark a man to prevent a defence splitting pass. And I see JL doing all theses things. It isn't just about flying in for crunching tackles like the old days.

In fact, I don't want my DM going in for crunchers very often, particularly in the 1st half when they may end up on a yellow and be walking a tightrope for the next 60 mins or so. I think some people are stuck in the past. The jobs of players on the pitch is very different to what it was even 5 years ago. For example, if Robbie savage was still playing today I think he would really struggle, or would definately have to adapt his style to survive, otherwise he would be a total liability on the pitch. And I think he has admitted as much himself on the radio before.

Jason Lowe has many deficiencies in his footballing ability, but it seems to me that people are letting these blind them to the fact that he also has numerous attributes and qualities that are very useful to our team. And I can only see this trend getting worse with every misplaced pass. Which will be sad to see.

Well said. Nicely balanced response. Seems that discussing things sensibly is now classed as hysteria!

Just a short summary of my thoughts on the game:

For the first half an hour we seemed to be pretty much camped in their half, playing decent attacking football, defending well when there was the need for it, and barring Lowe's ability to constantly lose the man he was supposed to be marking (Hughes) and Dann's insistence on hoofing the ball 40 yards after a solid passage of passing play every player seemed to be doing exactly what they should be.

Spurr seems to be a solid addidtion to the defence. A presence in the box with a good head and ability to clear the ball well and play down the wing when necessary. Unfortunately, once again Rhodes just didn't seem to be getting the service he needs and deserves.

As soon as Rochina went off we seemed to go into our shells and just let the come at us; I think he will be sorely missed for the next 3 or 4 months.

After Marrow's rediculous handball we played some shocking football for the first 20 minutes of the second half, no noticable desire or will to go and win the game. That is until Taylor came on with fresh legs and started pumping the ball into the box for Rhodes and Best. How we didn't get a penalty when Rhodes went down I'll never know. For those final 20 minutes Best played out of his skin, barring lacking the effort to chase after a few balls he gave away. His finish was brilliant and well deserved.

Also glad to see Jake Kean picking up where he left off last season before he got injured with a solid performance in goal.

As an aside I was disgusted by the treatment I got from the Derby fans as I walked back to the station by myself, abuse, threats of violence from 40 year old men with their wives/partners and a couple of blobs of spit on my back by the time I arrived at the station. This with absolutely no provocation at all, although it was quite amusing when a Derby fan threw a scrunched up betting slip at my back, only for me to unravel it and find he'd bet on a Rovers 2-0 win. Unlucky!

All in all a good day out apart from the unsavory treatment at the end.

How good it looked to see a FITTER Rovers team. The togetherness, fight and pride were on show, all attributes missing over the KEAN period.

Apart from a few cock ups by Lowe I am quite happy with the way the team is set up.

The result at Derby wont mean anything unless we can get the home form off to a positive start versus Forest and that wont be an easy thing to do.

On the first viewing there will be a few eyebrows raised that Rovers haven't featured as anyone's favourites and that's not a bad thing.

Plant the cash now folks before those odds come tumbling.

I'm a big fan of Rochina but even in the half-hour yesterday the downsides of his talent were apparent. He is just not a team player, he goes for glory at every opportunity, often when a simple and effective pass to a team-mate is available. It was obvious his ego would overrule Judge with the free kick and almost as predictable that he would squander it by just hitting it against the wall.

The likes of Judge, Cairney and Taylor, plus Dunn, could well supply sufficient guile in his absence, and they are all far more likely to play for the team rather than just themselves.

Nonsense. If our entire season's success revolved solely around Rochina than we were already bolloxed before he got injured.

I don't know what the point of posting is if people can't be bothered reading the posts properly. I said it "could" "unless" the rest of the players can adapt. How is that being hysterical?

From what I saw of us last season and yesterday we play our best stuff channeling play through Rochina. Maybe we can adapt our style to play effectively a completely different way. There was plenty of encouragement to be drawn from yesterday's display and I have enough confidence in GB and TM to think maybe they can do that. I haven't however seen enough of the new signings though to be able to say with any certainty that will be the case.

I agree with Revidge (for once!). Best case scenario we were only gonna be play-off outsiders this season. We've just lost our (and arguably the league's) most talented player with the ball at his feet, which could well put us out of the running.

now who's being hysterical? it's a blow but i'm sure if we sign a left winger then Judge can play there. We may even get someone in on loan to play in the hole. Maybe Cairney could do it. Don't forget, we've got the new Stevie G in the ressies.

Judge? Seriously? The hype around this guy is becoming as much of a mystery to me as it was with Henley last season. I mean I'll give the lad a chance but I don't know on which planet he's in the same class as Rochina. Rochina's position, behind Rhodes, is one where when he gets the ball he always had 2-3 players frantically closing him down, a couple of options at most and a few seconds to decide what he's gonna do that can give us a chance of scoring. That's not a position you can just insert someone at random and expect it to work.

Only Dunn, a genius signing or a big money signing can do the same job in my opinion.

Like the way he drew the defence onto him before playing the ball through to Judge at the perfect time for his chance?

I'm a big fan of Rochina but even in the half-hour yesterday the downsides of his talent were apparent. He is just not a team player, he goes for glory at every opportunity, often when a simple and effective pass to a team-mate is available. It was obvious his ego would overrule Judge with the free kick and almost as predictable that he would squander it by just hitting it against the wall.

Anybody else think half the reason Todd Kane was poor today was he had king in front of him?spurr always had an option in Judge even when Kane nearly gave it away in our box he looked for King who was not there so turned in again although he shoud hav hit row z

Very valid point. It takes two to tango (and freqently three) properly down either wing

Well said. Nicely balanced response. Seems that discussing things sensibly is now classed as hysteria!

Well .........apart from the fact that Silas' s post was based on the supposition that I was suggesting Lowe's footballing ability was actually exactly the same as Mo Farra's which quite clearly I was not.

Another prime example of what I was talking about..... the defence of him being as over the top as some of the criticism he's received for his performance yesterday.

Archived